• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Who got their kicks on Route 66?

Lazy Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Route 66.jpg

This photograph is from our newspaper travel section. It accompanied an article on the remnants on route 66. This section is near Oatman and it is just screaming out for a motorcycle. Has anyone done a tour of route 66 from Chicago to L.A.? Or maybe just explored the old bits that haven't been turned into interstates?

Caution there, I went on route 66 near highway 40 around barstow, and wow! It's so badly maintained I was worried it would shred my tires! It was bone jarring, and I will not go back... and that was only about 8 miles of it... I'm sure other parts are well maintained, but be careful.

I have ridden Route 66 a number of times now. Some parts of the old road just are not there any more. In some states the markings for old Route 66 are just great, Illinois tells you from which year to which year the roadway was part of Route 66. In other states there just are not any markings, Oklahoma. I have ridden the old road straight though two times now from Chicago to California. Just meeting the elderly folks in the old shops makes the entire trip worth the effort.

Last edited:
Caution there, I went on route 66 near highway 40 around barstow, and wow! It's so badly maintained I was worried it would shred my tires! It was bone jarring, and I will not go back... and that was only about 8 miles of it... I'm sure other parts are well maintained, but be careful.
It would be a shame if it were allowed to deteriorate so much that it would be completely abandoned. There's a lot of history on that road.

I have ridden Route 66 a number of times now. Some parts of the old road just are not there any more. In some states the markings for old Route 66 are just great, Illinois tells you from which year to which year the roadway was part of Route 66. In other states there just are not any markings, Oklahoma. I have ridden the old road straight though two times now from Chicago to California. Just meeting the elderly folks in the old shops makes the entire trip worth the effort.
That sounds like a great trip. One day...

Ridden lot of sections of it, some better than others. The section near Oatman was some of the roughest narrow blacktop I experienced .

I road the section from Tulsa, OK to Oklahoma City, OK last year. Sadly, it was rainy and cold that day and I did not stop to see any of the sights. I have made many trips on Rt 66 between California and the Mid West by car back when it was the only way to go. Some good memories there. It's a shame to see this piece of motoring history be neglected.

I've traveled some of the more "maintained" parts. The best place I stayed by far was the Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari NM. Owned and run by two of the nicest people I have ever met. They even let me keep my bike in one of the garages because the weather was cold and snow was forecast.

blueSwallowMotel.jpg

It would be a shame if it were allowed to deteriorate so much that it would be completely abandoned. There's a lot of history on that road.

parts of the road were ... comical... the hotel was gone, the pool was gone, the parking lot was gone, but the hotel sign was still there! Apparently, you can bulldoze everything, but you'd better not touch the sign.

When riding back from California about 10 years ago, I tried to follow some of RT66 but like others have written, the road was hard to follow. Also, some of the romantic photographs from years past of small towns and hotels were not areas I wanted to spend the night in. Much better roads to find!

Earlier this month, I went with two friends to ride the section of Rt66 between Springfield Mo and Litchfield IL. There are some good sections of road there, some maintained and others not so much. I'd recommend this section if you have a few days to ride it. Lots of things to see along the way.

2015-08-31 11.18.34.jpg

66 from California through Arizona on 40 is pretty torn up, lots of tourist spots specially in Kingman AZ that mimic the route, I went through in July I would recommend early spring or fall due to high temperatures.
WP_20140725_18_25_52_Pro.jpg
WP_20140725_18_30_45_Pro.jpg

Illinois time marks the roads better than any other state. However, I like riding Missouri Route 66 the best. The worst marking of the old Route 66 goes to Oklahoma.

Back