• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New bike check-up

bduffey

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In looking at the manual for my new XD, I notice that the first service call is at 1,000 miles. Does this preclude the usual 600 mile check for a new machine?

And I'm thinking that immediate farkle for this bike would be,, larger screen, wind fairings and handguards. Yes?

Thanks

Bill

Last edited:
I would imagine that the 1000 mile checkup recommended and the standard 600 are the same recommendation.

First farkles are really to your taste. Despite being a (PNW) winter rider (wet and miserable but not too frosty), I have yet to add hand guards, wind farings or a windscreen but I have added a top box, skid plate and seat upgrade, because that is what suits me. I have heated grips, in a box in cupboard. Let us know what you decide and throw up some pics when they are installed.

And I'm thinking that immediate farkle for this bike would be,, larger screen, wind fairings and handguards. Yes?

Thanks

Bill

It really depends on your budget. I'm one of those guys that likes to get most all the farkling done up front. Hanging out on this forum hasn't helped with that becauase I keep finding small things I want.

Everyones list would be different. I'll give you my top choices but its based off my needs for year round commuting to work. Keep in mind I intentionally bought a bike that already had several farkles. OEM panniers and top Box, Light Bar with Lights, Center Stand. If I didn't have those they would be on my list.

1. Armored Gear/Helmet
2. Windscreen
3. Handgaurds
4. Custom Seat
5. Heated Grips
6. Radiator Guard
7. RAM mount - Phone/GPS
8. 12V Socket

The OEM wind fairing are pretty small. I recently bought them and I'd say they add more to the looks than they do to functionality. I might not waste money on those. Atleast not the OEM.

Besides the things you mentioned, if I lived in Massachusetts, I would quickly invest in electric riding gear (jacket, pants, and gloves).

Back