• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014 Yamaha FZ 09

Josh H

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been eyeing this bike for the last few days after a random YouTube video unveiled it to me. Pretty nice looking bike and it seems of all the reviews everyone loves it. Most reviews mention the throttle is a little "herky-jerky" in the low rpm's and the front suspension is a little soft, but the power to weight ratio is awesome and best yet, the MSRP is $7990. Anyone know anything about this bike?

Link to CycleWorld Review

[video=youtube_share;Qr8rNM6sXjE]http://youtu.be/Qr8rNM6sXjE[/video]

sorry but that bike doesn't make me wanna go out and buy it.
clock is so ugly it makes Quasimodo look a handsome bloke:rolleyes:
and it'll be a b*gger to keep clean and claimed 44mpg that would equate about 38mpg for the average rider.
to me sh*t poor economy for a 3 cylinder bike.
my old Fazer 600 did 55/65mpg and that was a 4 cylinder bike.
stick with your NC,if you've not got one then buy the latest NC750..

A different bike than the NC. It's nice that they made it with an affordable price point. It's good to see bikes like this on the market. It doesn't appeal to me, however.

Greg

I like Yamaha as a Brand and I also like the triple configuration. However in every test I have read so far the journalists have complained bitterly about the poor fuelling off idle. Seems it makes the bike difficult to ride smoothly in traffic etc. It doesn't have to be like that as the NC ably demonstrates. Anyway it is the first model year so I am sure it will be fixed eventually.

I like it way better in red than I do the black. Saw one at a dealer a few weekends ago. Just picked up a cycle world mag where they compare it to the Street Triple R and MV Brutale 800, and it won that shootout. I'd trade my NC in for one, but I'll wait a year or two on that. Don't have my full motorcycle license yet, and 750cc is kind of a magic number around here for insurance rates.

I would wait a year for Yamaha to work out the fueling. The second gen FZ1 had the same issue the first year. My 07 FZ1 did not have the issue as Yamaha solved the throttle snatch issue by slowing the rate at which the secondary flies were being opened.

Jeff

A different bike than the NC. It's nice that they made it with an affordable price point. It's good to see bikes like this on the market. It doesn't appeal to me, however.

+1, just a totally different animal than the NC. I sat on one at the moto-show and was shocked how small/light it felt. The big, wide bars, and no fairing at all makes it feel like you're right on top of the front wheel -- and it's very narrow between your legs. Reminded me a lot of my old naked SV650, and that's a good thing.

But, zero wind protection, 'meh' economy, and the snatchy mapping just don't work for me as a one bike guy. I'd grab one in a second as a third/fourth bike....

trey

That would be a nice second bike for sure.

sent from a keyboard in the frunk

If I'm going to buy a second bike it surely wouldn't be that. No offense to anyone who likes it. I'd be buying another Honda and you can bet the first three letters are CBR.

I very nearly replaced the NC with one of those. I love the looks of it and after having sat on one it was very nearly a done deal. But, the lack of wind protection (even compared to the minimal protection of the stock NC) and it's tiny fuel tank played the biggest roll in not getting one (ended up trading my NC for a '13 Ninja 650). With that price point it provides a lot of bang for the buck and if that engine ends up in a faired bike (ala a mini FJR) I'll be all over it in a second.

Lots of comparisons of Samsung tablets to Apple iPads. Don't get your analogy? ;)

They are similar but yet very different for different user needs.
It is foolhardy to say one is better than the other coz it is right and also wrong.
Depends on perspectives.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't trade the NC for the FZ09 because they serve very different purposes. I would gladly add the FZ as a stablemate. It sounds like a great hooligan/canyon-carving bike!

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

I think this bike may be one of the reasons Honda isn't bringing the nc750 to the US this year. It would be a competitor to the NC750, nearly be the same price, and bigger engine, more HP (you know in the USA, bigger is better mentality).

MCN (the US version) tested the FZ-09 alongside the Ducati Hyperstrada. The FZ got dings for suspension and surging fuel injection flaws. The bike requires premium fuel. The magazine reported average consumption of 40.9 mpg, although in theses tests they are notoriously heavy on the throttles. Still, with a tank size the same as the NC700X at 3.7 US gallons, that's a pretty dismal range.

The seat is reported as thin, flat, and narrow and leans forward too much. That should create an aftermarket need even greater than the NC's.

Greg

Last edited:
Yamaha already offers another seat for the bike in its accessory catalog, a "comfort seat". The Canadian site has it listed for $260. Honda could learn something from these guys....
No heated grip option from them though, but after seeing the AME grips somebody else here installed, who cares.

Back