• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adventures of Nana Chou - Cougars

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
1.jpgLong time sense I first stepped foot on the grass at this place, and now it is all going to change completely.

[video=youtube;b7Nmj23mwdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Nmj23mwdM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

smileygrad.jpg

Last edited:
I was waiting for you to ride up the steps at the end lol

sent from a keyboard in the frunk

Well I guess you saw the new football stadium going up. I've had season tickets to their football games for 3 years now. This year home games have been mostly at Reliant Stadium but one each at BBVA Compass Stadium where the Dynamo play and one at Rice Stadium till the new stadium is finished. I didn't go there but one son graduated from there and one is going there now.

I'm a University of Houston graduate. The University of Houston played the first football game that was played in the Astrodome on September 11, 1965, when Tulsa University defeated the University of Houston by a score of 14–0, this was also our first game on national TV. From 1965 to 1993 U of H played in Astrodome. Before 1994 Robertson Stadium was part of the Houston IDS schools and high school games were played there, not a part of the U Of H. Until 1961 Robertson Stadium only set 11,000 folks. Bud Adams, owner of the Oilers, could not come to a agreement for the Astrodome for the Oilers. So Bud rented Robertson stadium from Houston ISD and increased the size to a little over 30,000. A few years later the Oilers were moved into the Astrodome. University of Houston moved from the Astrodome into Robertson Stadium in 1994.

Last edited:
Thanks for the history lesson. I knew the Cougars played at the Dome for a few years but didn't realize that many. The last 2 years at Robertson we sat on the 2nd row on the visitors team side and the group that was with us use to give the visiting team an earful. After the game the Cougars team would come along the wall on their way out and I highfived Case Keenum about 5 different times. When they tore down the stadium we were offered the back of the seats we set in, for a price of course, and we ended up buying one of them, I have it hanging on a tree in my back yard now. I was a Troubleshooter for Centerpoint, the old HL&P, I had a trouble call in the River Oaks section of town (rich section) and I met with an electrician, he said I want you to meet the owner, it was Bud Adams, he shook my hand. At the time I was an Adams hater since he moved the Oilers but after that I didn't care anymore. R.I.P. Bud

ST/SV,

I live in a neighborhood with a more than my fair share of Rice Grads. So the "Bayou Bucket" is a big deal around here. Over the years I have enjoyed eating the barbeque a lot more times than I had to cook it.

We need to get together with the other NC700 riders in the Houston area for a "All Houston Area NC700 Ride.

The folks in Houston voted to demolish the astrodome last week. So she will be coming down shortly to make more parking spaces for Reliant Stadium. When I was a teenager, I spent a summer working on the dome. I hung air conditioning duct. I was working when two fellow workers died. The first fell from the top rafters, and we were all on the floor of the dome when it happened. None of us saw a second worker who was hanging by a Whitney punch and still hanging up there. It is a long way up to the top of the rafters and we just did not see or hear the second sheet metal worker. About a half hour later he fell to his death also. I never will forget that day.

My father got free tickets for the first baseball game in the dome. So I saw my childhood hero, Mickey Mantle hit the first indoor home run in the dome. Believe it or not the dome had grass then, but it was not long until they found out the grass just kept turning brown, so astro turf was invented. A few years later while at the University of Houston, I was lucky enough to be part of the first football game ever played in a dome or on astro turf. A number of years after that, I was back at the astrodome for the first indoor motorcycle race ever.

So, I have both good and bad memories of my time under the dome.

Last edited:
Back