• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery Access Problem

uneasy4now

Reaction score
Visit site
I was getting ready to put my baby on the battery tender for the winter when I found that one of the two screws on the battery access panel was jammed, and is now turning without coming out. I have no idea what kind of disassembly is required to get to the outside of the frunk and the nut that holds in that screw. I'd really like to minimize the damage. Any ideas?

I had that problem too but it came loose after a bit of struggling. I've
only had mine off once.

Hmm, the only thing I can tentatively suggest, is to get a tool to apply slight tension backwards, as you undo the fastener. Like a cat's paw, nail or tack remover, claw hammer, flat blade screwdriver with something behind it to act as a lever, etc.

Let us know if you are still stuck with this-I'm sure an answer is there.

Hmm, the only thing I can tentatively suggest, is to get a tool to apply slight tension backwards, as you undo the fastener. Like a cat's paw, nail or tack remover, claw hammer, flat blade screwdriver with something behind it to act as a lever, etc.

+1... It sucks when this happens, but this is a trick you will use more than you want.

John.since that has a inline fuse could i run a gps with it.that would save me from pluging one like it into my tender line.cheaper then the harness from Honda also.

sent from a keyboard in the frunk

I would caution against using the 12V receptacle that uses a "pressure fit" mount on the bike. If you're going to drill a large hole in the plastic frunk body it may not be rigid enough to provide a good hold on the socket or could work loose over time/use. I bought this one which is more like the "genuine Honda" receptacle. It is a threaded mount with a locking ring and also comes with a handlebar mount if you want to use it. It also came with an in-line blade fuse which is not shown in the picture.

Amazon: Tusk 12V power socket

41vEmiqqnmL.jpg

I got a tool from NAPA a few years ago for popping out those plastic rivets that hold interior automotive trim pieces in place. It never worked very well for that, but for getting under a screw to get threads to engage...it hasn't failed me yet.

Yes, something very similar to that. Mine doesn't have that little ball thing down by the business end, and I think the fingers, or whatever you want to call them, are wider on mine. But essentially the same tool. The ball thing on that one looks to be a pivot point.

I've also never ran into this specific problem getting at the battery, but that tool has helped me in other scenarios. Don't want to give the impression that it will solve all your motorcycle fastener issues.

I got a tool from NAPA a few years ago for popping out those plastic rivets that hold interior automotive trim pieces in place. It never worked very well for that, but for getting under a screw to get threads to engage...it hasn't failed me yet.

I've had a Tack Remover for a zillion years, that I've also never used once, to actually remove tacks, lol ;) I've only ever used it to pry on pesky bolts and screws :eek:

TL4C.jpg

It can always be worse. I had a Honda XL250. It came from the factory with a valve cover bolt cross threaded. That sucker snapped right off.

I tried using a flat blade screwdriver as a lever before I posted the question. The claw hammer sounds like a better idea (and I have one) -- Thanks! It's already pretty late, so I'll try that tomorrow. I'll also Google "cat's paw," 'cause you have me stumped on that one.

I don't think I can even get to the nut from outside the frunk. I tried poking around under the black plastic piece that surrounds the frunk lock, and it feels like the battery compartment is an extension of the frunk.

I've had a Tack Remover for a zillion years, that I've also never used once, to actually remove tacks, lol ;) I've only ever used it to pry on pesky bolts and screws :eek:

View attachment 10017

These tools are awesome. I have one to remove the fasteners that secure the seat skirt on the air suspension seat in Caterpillar equipment. I do use it for that but it comes in handy fro several other jobs. I use it a lot to remove springs. Very handy tool.

Back