• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

3K Miles & No Chain Adjustment Yet

VTHokieAg

Reaction score
Visit site
As the title says I have 3,000 miles on my bike and have yet needed to do a chain adjustment. To be honest, it has never stretched since new. It has always been 1-3/8" free play. It seems like some people are adjusting a lot sooner than this so I was wondering what a normal mile range is for first adjustment?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I have gone 3200 with one adjust.mostly just to do it to see how it goes incase it happens away from home.

sent from a keyboard in the frunk

Do most use the chain alignment tool or just adjust each nut the same number of turns?

Do most use the chain alignment tool or just adjust each nut the same number of turns?

I don't know about others, but I just hold the edge of a straightedge against the side of the sprocket and see how it lines up with the chain when I check alignment. I keep telling myself to get the Motion Pro alignment tool, but so far it's still in the "one of these days" section of my wish list.

Bob

I used the lines on swingarm and a small metal ruler.i need the tool someday also.

sent from a keyboard in the frunk

I'm approaching 5,000 miles give or take and I haven't had to adjust it yet. I am satisfied by just eyeballing it and keeping the amount of turns equal. Good enough for me.

I purchased a maintenance plan with my bike that I couldn't refuse. They have me bring the bike in every 4,000 miles. I asked if he made any adjustments on the chain at the 4K service and he did not. I'll see what he says here in a month or so when I hit 8K.

About 8k miles and adjustment is due. I'll get on that soon. Honestly, I have always just watched the chain to make sure it's riding straight on the sprocket (eye ball only) for all my chain bikes. Never had a problem! To each his own I guess. Old school, no tool. :)

I am at 7,400 miles and no adjustment has ever been needed. I clean, inspect and lube my chain about once a month tho. I think it has alot to do with how you ride it and the conditions you rie in, and if you clean and lube your chain.

I bought this tool for when I need it... Though at the time it was mostly it was just to get free shipping on the amazon order.

Sounds like I've got a while before that will be needed from others in the thread (I was actually going to check it in the next couple of weeks once I got the heater hooked up in the garage.)

Back