• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

fogging fluid during winter storage

I don't plan on parking my bike much this winter and never really have. I typically just bought some STA-BIL, topped off the tank, poured the STA-BIL in, and drove around a few miles to mix it up. Took battery out and put on a charger every so often.

My boss on the other had won't ride his Harley once it drops down below 50F. He goes through an entire process of prepping his bike for storage which includes using fogging oil. His bike is carbureted and I believe he just sprayed it into the carburetor. I could be wrong there. He swore by the stuff. He used AMSOIL.

I doubt it makes a difference that our bike is fuel injected but I imagine you would have to do it in the manner you described.

I never winterize any of my bikes,the only thing I do is to ad stabilizer to fuel.
if we do get a nice day even if its freezing cold we still go for a ride out.
who care's if we look like Michelin man ;)
some times winter riding can be just as pleasurable as in summer but less traffic.

MichelinMan.jpg

Honda makes no mention of fogging the cylinders during storage in the "Storing Your Motorcycle" topic in the manual.

I wouldn't bother fogging. I have a Honda lawn mower that's 29 years old, and it's always stored over winter with no fogging oil. Runs fine, lasts a long time. In fact I own 20 engines and never fog a one of them. No issues.

ETA: The only time I would consider fogging would be on a marine engine stored in a wet or salt water environment. In that case it makes some sense.

Last edited:
thanks for all the quick replies. Im thinking i will skip this step. Where I live in cleveland ohio the weather is so unpredictable. Im thinking we are going to end up with a lot of snow this year just based on the snow we got hammered with this past week. The cold doesnt bother me one bit its the icy roads and the several feet of snow. Time for some studded winter tires.

Back