• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Inexpensive video camera with good results

searsboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased a video camera from Monoprice. Less than a hundred bucks (shipping included). The quality is not as high as a GoPro, but doesn't cost $300 either...here's my first video from it. On the youtube link be sure and adjust the quality to the highest setting for better viewing. :cool:

Independence Road - YouTube

Brenham, Texas without Blue Bell? Brenham, Texas without Blue Bonnets? Other than that, a great video of one of my favorite April roads.

Oh yeah! The good folks in California can now buy Blue Bell !!!

Last edited:
So I enjoyed the video but I liked the music too. Who is that?

The song is "Call Australia" by K P Devlin. Glad you liked it!

Brenham, Texas without Blue Bell? Brenham, Texas without Blue Bonnets? Other than that, a great video of one of my favorite April roads.

Oh yeah! The good folks in California can now buy Blue Bell !!!

Blue Bell is available at the airport diner...Bluebonnets are available in Spring!

i tried this one(also avaliable at walmart for same price+watertight case)-
MIDLAND XTC205VP2 HD Wearable Video Camera - SportsAuthority.com

it's ok in bright light\sunny day.but terrible in low light. for whatever reason sometimes video is choppy and bad quality even in 720p. any suggestion for 1080 HD action\dash camera with decent angle for under $200?

this one looks decent-

http://www.amazon.com/ContourROAM-W...TF8&qid=1380159135&sr=8-1&keywords=contour+hd

but reading thru the posts on amazon-looks like they out of business..

Thank you!

Last edited:
any suggestion for 1080 HD action\dash camera with decent angle for under $200?

I have seen some pretty good videos from folks using the Replay XD720. It's not 1080, but I can't honestly tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on my computer. The Replay has an external mic accessory that increases the price a little, but all in all it seems to be a good camera for the price.

There's a super cheap ($40) action cam at Woot right now, but I mean RIGHT NOW. It'll be sold out in less than an hour.

I've got the Monoprice MHD too. It's got its issues, but overall I think it's pretty good for the price.

There's a super cheap ($40) action cam at Woot right now, but I mean RIGHT NOW. It'll be sold out in less than an hour.

I've got the Monoprice MHD too. It's got its issues, but overall I think it's pretty good for the price.

That's a great deal deedub. One of the best features with the Monoprice (Polaroid's is like this too) is the ez on/off slide switch. The Emerson and GoPro have funky buttons in their weatherproof cases that make it difficult to engage & see if the cam is recording.
Here's another from the MHD...

FM 1489 - YouTube

The Polaroid-clone version comes with a lot more mounting hardware than the MHD, including a mount bracket with a 90 degree bend in it. That's just what I needed to side-helmet mount my MHD, since the MHD doesn't auto-rotate the video by 90 degrees (only 180). The bracket is sold as a replacement part for the Polaroid for $5 on Amazon. That, a $5 dash mount and some outdoor adhesive tape and I got the MHD mounted like a helicopter rocket pod on the side of my helmet.

MHDmount.jpg

Last edited:
i got this emerson camera,but so far-it's ain't working well for me. first of all-angle of view is not wide,like on my previous test camera. it's just straight front image.
second -the lens gets hot,when camera is on and causing a condensation on back,inner side of waterproof case,right on front of the lens. making the whole thing basically useless.
could be(!) because i've mounted on the mirror handle,using same cheap 'go pro' bicycle mount,mentioned in another thread. the whole thing was shaking crazy,while i ride and so does the recorded image. maybe because the camera was trying to focus or something it's working extra hard and this cause the heat and condensation? i have to try a better bracket\mount
also-you have to take out the memory every time to get the video. you can't just connect the camera to usb port and transfer it to PC. not convenient at all.

Last edited:
I got an SJ1000 camera bought on Aliexpress. All my videos were shot by this, 1080p or 720p with 60fps, very good quality even at low light! You can find a test on youtube by techmoan about this, costs only 100$ !
I recommend this product definitely! With a simple micro SD card ( class 4 = at least 4 MByte/s data rate ) is quite enough for recording the videos, data rate at 1080p is 16.3 Mbit/s ( max. 2 MB ).

Take a look at it, you can buy any other, but for 100$ this is best - I guess.

Wow. The monoprice isn't too bad. I think that there needs to be more competition for the GoPros out there. Contour is a legit company too, but I think they went belly up? I just don't understand the appeal of GoPro Cameras... the amount of money you have to pay for them is ridiculous.

after numerous tests i'm giving up on this emerson camera. terrible. no matter what i do the vids are still terribly shaky.going back to amazon and i'm not recommending this to anyone.

same for this crapper from HFT

image_7680.jpg

i bought it for less than $25 and you can use it,but it a royal pain in a** to lift NC (in particular) using this stand. DO NOT BUY for NC
it's maybe a great stand for some off road bikes,but not for NC

after numerous tests i'm giving up on this emerson camera. terrible. no matter what i do the vids are still terribly shaky.going back to amazon and i'm not recommending this to anyone.

same for this crapper from HFT

image_7680.jpg

i bought it for less than $25 and you can use it,but it a royal pain in a** to lift NC (in particular) using this stand. DO NOT BUY for NC
it's maybe a great stand for some off road bikes,but not for NC

I have a similar stand and have zero issues lifting my NC with it. Are you trying to balance the bike while lifting it or are you putting the left cup under bike and slowly lifting it while gripping hand rail? Balancing the bike is very tricky and I use the other method without any issues

i tried this one(also avaliable at walmart for same price+watertight case)-
MIDLAND XTC205VP2 HD Wearable Video Camera - SportsAuthority.com

it's ok in bright light\sunny day.but terrible in low light. for whatever reason sometimes video is choppy and bad quality even in 720p. any suggestion for 1080 HD action\dash camera with decent angle for under $200?

this one looks decent-

Amazon.com: ContourROAM Waterproof HD 1080P Hands-free HD Camcorder Watersport Kit: Camera & Photo

but reading thru the posts on amazon-looks like they out of business..

Thank you!

I had a GoPro 1st edition. Hated the on off button. Most times thought I had it on and only after getting home found minutes of looking at the ground as my helmet hung on the bike. I bought a Contour and loved it. It beeps and clicks when you turn it on and fits a goggle strap or anywhere else you wanted to put it. Also picked up sound better since it wasn't stuck in a case. I've been hunting for that dam camera for over a year. I'm guessing I loaned it to somebody and they liked it too! After seeing the price you posted, I'm ordering another right now. Thanks!

I had a GoPro 1st edition. Hated the on off button. Most times thought I had it on and only after getting home found minutes of looking at the ground as my helmet hung on the bike. I bought a Contour and loved it. It beeps and clicks when you turn it on and fits a goggle strap or anywhere else you wanted to put it. Also picked up sound better since it wasn't stuck in a case. I've been hunting for that dam camera for over a year. I'm guessing I loaned it to somebody and they liked it too! After seeing the price you posted, I'm ordering another right now. Thanks!

I had the same issue with the GoPro on/off switch. The large slide switch on these other cameras is nice!

did anyone tried this one-

Sony HDR-AS10 HD Action Camcorder HDRAS10/B B&H Photo Video

looks decent. i'm looking for a few things-first-i want a kind of bullet shape camera with wide angle lens. like this one or contour or midland mentioned before. because i want as less wind resistance as possible. the previous cam did simply tilt back at high speeds couple times,cause it's sort of too wide. and second-I'm looking for a camera where you don't have to take out memory every time you want to your video. ability to connect-upload\delete vid from camera to PC via cable. and ability to delete video from camera to free up the memory.

Back