• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Windy Ridge Lookout, Mt St Helens Wa

Seattle700

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are a couple of longish unedited videos that I shot with my gopro last weekend descending down from Windy Ridge Lookout Observatory in Washington State.
The two videos combined are over 30 minutes

I'm a new rider so any feedback on breaking, shifting and attack angles are welcomed. The road was in really bad shape so it made for some fun twisties.

Shot in 1080p/60.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eokxfmar2or8lp5/Down the Mountain 2.MP4
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2ce394s7gkzl3l/Down the Mountain 3.MP4

Last edited:
The more I watch these videos the more it makes me watch to purchase one of these GoPro systems.

Looks like a great place to ride. The road seems to have several places with large cracks. That would be a little nerve racking. Mt. St. Helens took its toll on that area several years ago. Seems to be recovering well. Not sure if where you were riding was affected.

I'm going to try and stay away from giving riding advice but it looks like you guys took a nice leisurely ride. I have a tendency to ride to fast and then you miss all the scenery. End up staring at the road to much.

Thanks for posting the videos.

Congrats on the new bike and becoming a rider!

Nice videos.
Watch the video and see where you enter and exit the corners. Sometimes you hit the apex a bit too soon and that messed up your exit.
Nothing major but I haven't watched the whole thing. Looks like a nice ride!

*edit*
Watch your spacing with the bikes ahead of you when you passed the bicycle in the 2nd vid.

Last edited:
Thanks for the videos. They are one of the things I really enjoy about this forum. It looked to me that your riding was OK. You were keeping pace the the riders in front of you. The road surface looked in rather rough shape. I alway thought you only had to worry about falling into a crevasse up on the glaciers. Which side of the mountain were you on? I've seen other videos showing a route with a much better road.

Thanks for the feedback. As a new rider I appreciate the input as it all helps, which is partly why I got the camera.
Yeah the road looked like bombs had been dropped on it, large sunken craters were on all side all the way up and down the road, which is why the pace was relatively slow. That and there was a noob rider in the group...

All of those whitish dead trees were part of the blast zone so we through parts of that area. Not in my video but the volcano itself is interesting as well as the large lake at the foot which is now full of debris.

I'm going to upload the videos to Youtube soon for those that are interested and not able to download from dropbox.

This is the route we took which also took us right past Mt. Rainier on the way.
http://goo.gl/maps/oYaOR

I had it on a chest mount. I thought about mounting it on my helmet but having a little windsail on my head didn't strike me as a pleasant thing to have on a distance trip like that.
The perspective was good but I didn't get any of the scenery on either side of me so I bought a Contour+2 today for my trip to Leavenworth Wa tomorrow. I'm hoping between the two cams and the onboard gps built into the Contour, I'll have all perspectives covered...

Back