• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Jack, Stand, or Center Stand?

What do you use to lift your bike up to work on it?

• Jack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stand under the swing arm/fork.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Center Stand

Votes: 26 86.7%

• Total voters

anglachel

Reaction score
Visit site
So rolling the bike around to lube the chain is getting old fast.

I used my dad's jack once with his help, but the bike seemed wobbly on that, and had he not been holding the bike, I don't know I would have felt comfortable lubing the chain.

The stands that support themselves under the swing arms or fork look like a good alternative that would be relatively stable, but I've never used one to know for sure. This seems like the cheapest option though.

Center stand seems like it'd be ideal, since it's always with the bike, they look fairly stable, my only concern is I do want hard luggage (it is in the budget for next year, or the following year) and if that weighs the back down so the back tire is on the ground, lubing the chain means pulling the luggage off (not the end of the world, but still not ideal, but I suppose it'd make it easier to patch the front tire if that ever needs to happen)

So what do you guys use with the NC? What seems to be the most stable, and reasonable for the price?

I tried to hold out using a Swing arm Motorcycle stand in the garage, but as predicted on this forum, I finally broke down and bought a Center Stand for the bike. Much more convenient.
I am pretty sure you won't have a weight issue due to adding a stand. Also, luggage is a cinch to take on and off, so should not be an issue for you either.

Empty luggage won't put the rear tire on the ground with a centerstand. Depending on where the weight is, you probably need 30+lbs (2+stones) to get the rear on the ground.

I tried swingarm.to unstable and got the centerstand.best thing i bought so far.129.00 pays for itself the first time you use it.

If you ever have to perform some impromptu maintenance on a ride the fork/swingarm stands won't do you any good but if you do any major suspension, bearing or tire work you'll appreciate the separate stands.
So I say both. They each have they intended use.

Bags on:

001.jpg

Nothing in bags or extra fuel tanks.

Bags off:

002.jpg

If you watch your CG at all times when adding accessories, sure makes fixing a flat easy when on the road.

If you are an mpg weenie, a center stand makes it a lot easier to consistently fill your gas tank maximally.

Good one Beemerphile, I have used that technique before and it works well. I also bought one of these for when I travel (easier than carrying a block of wood). The bike I owned at the time did not have a center stand capability. It packs easily and did what I needed it to do.

PackJack - Home

On the NC, for the price and the fact it is designed for it, I think the center stand is probably the best choice.

Last edited:
Back