• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A quieter helmet

killerbeezer

Reaction score
Visit site
Gang,
I have a Bell Revolver (because it comes in hi-viz yellow) and it's incredibly noisy. Even with earplugs or headphones. The aerodynamics on the NC have made it even noisier. I installed the Givi tall screen this weekend and it changed the noise but I can't say the volume of the white noise went down.

Suggestions on a much quieter, full-face, hi-viz helmet?

I have an HJC cl-16 that is also very noisy, though I quieted it down a surprising amount by getting a chin curtain for it, might be an option.

Otherwise, in your search I'd visit here They seem to have some fairly through reviews on helmets.

I have an HJC cl-16 that is also very noisy, though I quieted it down a surprising amount by getting a chin curtain for it, might be an option.

Otherwise, in your search I'd visit here They seem to have some fairly through reviews on helmets.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the HJC cl16 helmet is noisy. I've tried the chin curtain and it doesn't help me much. Lately I've been experimenting with duck tape over certain vents and there might be a good solution. It does help though that my helmet is gray, black, and white, which allows the duck tape to blend in.

Shoei is not really putting out high viz colors so far. I have a white RF1100, and it is very quiet, and the most comfortable helmet for MY head. That is the biggest thing with helmets: forget hi-viz, quiet, cheap, expensive, etc...if it doesn't fit YOUR head well, it will not protect your head well, nor will it be very comfy.

Try out different helmets for fit and comfort, then see which have the best reviews on webbikeworld.com.

My 2¢

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

Unfortunately it's hard to tell how noisy a helmet will be based on other people's experience. You can look at the reviews on Webbikeworld, find the quietest helmet they tested and discover that it's louder than your current helmet when you try it out. One of the biggest factors in noise is how well the helmet fits you, and since everyone seems to have a different head shape, my quietest helmet may be your loudest. Ideally, if you have a local dealer with a decent helmet selection, you could try a few on and buy the one that seemed to fit best with the understanding that you were going to take it for quick test ride and return it for a refund if it didn't work for you. If you are limited to buying online, about the best you can hope for is to get one that's rated as being quiet from a vendor with a really good return policy (just in case the fit doesn't work for you).

Good luck with the search,
Bob

If you want to have total silence, invest in a correct pair of ear plugs which fit your ear canals.
Also, invest in a higher windshield.
For me, my cheap pharmacy USD$3 ear plugs seals my ears and I hear NOTHING at all.
I am one of those lucky ones.

Shoei fullface (any one) is a good bet too.

I have a Bell Revolver (because it comes in hi-viz yellow) and it's incredibly noisy. Even with earplugs or headphones.

I have this helmet in silver and agree it is horrific. I keep it around as a cheap backup helmet, but ended up getting a reflective Icon Alliance like the one below. It's quieter, but still not quiet enough, but very comfortable for me at this price point.

2011-Icon-Alliance-Reflective-Helmet.jpg

I'm in the same boat looking for a quieter/better helmet. I bought the Nolan N43E last year largely because of it's modular design, and it looks cool, but it's a terribly noisy helmet. Ear plugs have helped a lot but I'm still not a fan. A lot of the cross winds will blow through the visor too.

I'm pretty happy with my god old shoei rf800. A lot of variables involved. How the visor sits, open/closed vents, that mech thingy under the chin, windshield,even position of the head

Last edited:
Back