• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Flashing Brake Light

pahondafan

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to get one of those brake lights that flashes 2 or 3 times before being continuous. Plug and play hopefully where I can just plug it into the existing brake light wiring. I'm not concerned about the legality. Can some one point me to that product?

Thanks.

I have that one. Very easy to install and setup.

The site says it is 50 state legal, but I'm not convinced it is. Check your local laws. I think a flashing brake light may be illegal in Ohio, but I will use anyway. It is MUCH more noticeable.

Here is the one I used. It is pretty pricey, but it is almost annoyingly bright. The video shows just the factory tail/brake light and then adds the Ghost Light.

Tail Brake light - YouTube

It is from Sound Off Signal and is called a Ghost Light.

Last edited:
How do you have yours setup? I'd like 3 quick flashes, then solid until brake release.

Do you configure it with DIP switches?

There are no DIP switches. There is a single set of programming wires that cycle it through the 36 modes in sequence. If you plan to change modes often you can wire the programming wires to a sub-mini switch. Otherwise, just leave them short and touch them together to advance the modes.

I had never even considered that these might be illegal... Looks like they are in MN...
Though there is an exception "for the purpose of warning the operators of other vehicles of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching, overtaking, or passing"
So I guess all I you'd need to do, in the event that you were cited for it, is convince the court that your stopped/stopping motorcycle is a "vehicular traffic hazards requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching"

Given the comments I've received, convincing people that a motorcycle is fulling capable of being a "Vehicular traffic hazard" might not be that hard.

There are no DIP switches. There is a single set of programming wires that cycle it through the 36 modes in sequence. If you plan to change modes often you can wire the programming wires to a sub-mini switch. Otherwise, just leave them short and touch them together to advance the modes.

As usual, I posted too quickly... there's a video at the site that explains how it's done. Pretty impressive... I wonder how it remembers what mode it's in when I turn the power off. I can only guess it has a very small amount of flash memory to record that.

Here's the settings VIDEO:

As usual, I posted too quickly... there's a video at the site that explains how it's done. Pretty impressive... I wonder how it remembers what mode it's in when I turn the power off. I can only guess it has a very small amount of flash memory to record that.

Here's the settings VIDEO:

It requires no power to hold the setting. I imagine it is in EPROM. Regarding legality. My understanding is that a continuously flashing brake light is illegal in several localities, but one that flashes and then turns solid was not. However, bureaucrats are constantly at work abridging basic freedoms, so some of the more legislation-happy localities may have gotten around to it, now that they have outlawed large sodas and bottled water.

You sure can't beat the price on this one. Do you think you'll be installing it soon so we can see how it works with the NC stock bulb? On the video they were using LEDs.

I'd also like to hear Beemer's take on the effects of splicing into the lines with those suitcase connectors. I've done that on my ATV with no ill effects but I've heard that splicing like that invites corrosion over the long haul.

You sure can't beat the price on this one. Do you think you'll be installing it soon so we can see how it works with the NC stock bulb? On the video they were using LEDs.

I'd also like to hear Beemer's take on the effects of splicing into the lines with those suitcase connectors. I've done that on my ATV with no ill effects but I've heard that splicing like that invites corrosion over the long haul.

RE the stock bulb: you would need to use one of the slower flash modes because the incandescent bulb cannot pulse as quickly as LED's. But it will work either way.

RE the connectors: I do not use them. I either use PosiTap's or I bare the wire and solder in the tap. I am pretty happy with PosiTaps.

Amazon.com: Posi-tap Connector, 16-18 Gauge Wire: Automotive

Dude, you rock :cool:

I just ordered one of these gizmos, and am happy to report that they ship free to Canuckland too!

Many times it's so disappointing to see a cool thing, go to order it, and discover that either they don't ship to dirty foreign countries, or if they do, they treat Canada like it's Antarctica or Liberia or something, and charge obscene shipping costs.

Thanks my friend :D

I just bought one from Custom Dynamics for my HD Ultra Classic - it was plug and play, took about 5 minutes to install.
It has 7 or 8 different flashing patterns available. You select the one you want with a simple twist of a knob.

Here's a link to a universal one that I assume will work on the NC: http://www.customdynamics.com/Images/magic_strobes_univ.jpg. It's not plug and play since it's generic, but looks like a very simple installation.

Their service was spectacular. I paid for standard shipping...3-5 days I think, and got it the next day.

I have already done some wiring work under the rear fender to put in the transmitter that turns on the light on the back of my helmet when I apply the brakes, so adding this circuit will be a lot easier! (gmax gm54s helmet).

The connectors I've used are reversable, so I can add the flassing unit to the mix without cutting any more wire inside the NC!

My two cents on the 36 mode flasher module: I have four of these units installed in my fleet for two or three years now and all still work fine. I use them as a one second fast burst then steady on.

As for installing them on an incandescent lamp, they do work, but the lag time of the filament heating makes the effect much less dramatic than with LEDs. I would advise getting an LED bar and bolting it the license plate for a far better attention getter. I have my Ruckus flasher flash both the incandescent bulb and the LED bar, and definitely the bar gets the attention.

As far as legality, I can't see how a one second flash burst would be an issue. It's not like it's a constantly flashing red light. And who's to say I can't pump my brakes four times to generate a flash before I apply them steady? Would I get a citation for pumping my brakes and making the brake light flash?

I believe Illinois did recently pass a law allowing flashing brake lights on motorcycles, but not on 4 wheelers.

Greg

Last edited:
My two cents on the 36 mode flasher module: I have four of these units installed in my fleet for two or three years now and all still work fine. I use them as a one second fast burst then steady on.

As for installing them on an incandescent lamp, they do work, but the lag time of the filament heating makes the effect much less dramatic than with LEDs. I would advise getting an LED bar and bolting it the license plate for a far better attention getter. I have my Ruckus flasher flash both the incandescent bulb an the LED bar, and definitely the bar gets the attention.

As far as legality, I can't see how a one second flash burst would be an issue. It's not like it's a constantly flashing red light. And who's to say I can't pump my brakes four times to generate a flash before I apply them steady? Would I get a citation for pumping my brakes and making the brake light flash?

I believe Illinois did recently pass a low allowing flashing brake lights on motorcycles, but not on 4 wheelers.

Greg

Great to hear they don't turn into electronic recyling waste, a few days after purchase.

That is exactly what I am planning with mine, to hook up an LED supplementary strip in conjunction with the existing brake light, and tie in the flasher doohickey to that. I have been really quite happy with the same LED strip I have had on my CBR for all these years. :) Having a pulse/flash added, will be great I think.

With how the law is written for MN at least, it seems like even flashing your brake lights without there being a "traffic hazard" could be criminal... however I would interpret "flashing lights" to mean lights that flash without human intervention, I think really a Judge (or more all of the judges who might hear your case) would need to give the final say.

However I may have found another loophole in that bicycles are allowed to have flashing rear lights... and MN statutes don't define a bicycle, they do however define a motorcycle:

Subd. 40.Motorcycle. "Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, including motor scooters and bicycles with motor attached, but excluding tractors and motorized bicycles.

So a bicycle with a motor attached is a motorcycle... though it might also be a motorized bicycle which is not a motorcycle...

So in trying to find out the legality of these, I'm left questioning what the hell it is I took to work today... I suspect it might be a motorcycle, but the state of minnesota might very well have a different definition for it, It could have been a bicycle for all I know.

Bottom line, once funds allow for it I'm doing an LED light bar that flashes a few times before going solid despite the law.
Though I think that MN also has a law that requires aftermarket parts for motor vehicles that are not legal for on road use to specifically say "off road use only" which would mean that there is a chance I can pass the buck on to the retailer selling them (and ruin it for everyone!)

Oh, and we have had appeals court rulings on flashing your high beams in MN:
The right to flash high beams | NewsCut | Minnesota Public Radio News
So if a cop is willing to write a ticket for someone flashing their high beams they will probably be willing to write a ticket for motorcycles who have blinking brake lights.

Back