• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Touring through Wa. and Oregon

X-Man

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Aug.29th a week from Sun I'm leaving for 4 days of riding into eastern Wa. to Oregon and back to the coast.This is the route I'll be taking.
https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=210719602055514593511.0004e369adef5bab0a85f&msa=0
I have rode most of this route except the eastern half of the North Cascades and from Antelope to Crater Lake.If anyone has any suggestions on the route I'd like to hear them.I'll be camping along the way but close to towns as I 'm not carrying any cooking gear.I plan on arriving at Long Beach, Wa. on Weds evening or Thurs. mid day to spend a few days at the Wa. State kite festival.I'll be riding home on the 24th via hwy 101.
If I'm passing through anyone's area and you want to join in and ride for a bit ,let me know.

Just North of Florence, OR (on Hwy 101) there is the sea lion cave. For $14, you ride the elevator down 200' to
their hangout. There are also a couple nice viewing points here for some nice shots of a lighthouse and the rocky coast.

Last edited:
Enjoy! We want lots of pictures. The only suggestion I have is that the 112 west from Port Angeles is a lot of fun

Hwy 112 looks like a great ride,I'll have to see how my time is as I'll be catching the ferry in Port Townsend. It would be worth another trip if I don't make it this time.
Just North of Florence, OR (on Hwy 101) there is the sea lion cave. For $14, you ride the elevator down 200' to
their hangout. There are also a couple nice viewing points here for some nice shots of a lighthouse and the rocky coast.

I have only been down as far as Rockaway Beach on the coast so I may do a bit more exploring on this section of the coast. Thanks for the tips, I'm really looking forward to this trip!

Watch for WaSPs (speed cops) on the higway down to Colfax. Pretty country, though. Gonna ride up Steptoe Butte (north of Colfax a bit)?

Last edited:
Hwy 395 is such a great scenic ride you will love it. I would suggest bypassing the 402 and going down to HWY26 (Ochoco hwy) It is my most favorite drive/ride in Oregon. So many beautiful things to see and great small towns

It may get a little smoky around the Crater Lake area. Several fires are currently burning in SW Oregon and are only partially contained at the present time. Had some friends camping on the Rogue a week ago and they came home with their trailer reeking with smoke. The Roseburg area is OK at the present time. I see from your route that you will take hwy. 42 from Roseburg to connect with hwy. 101, which means you will be coming right through North Bend/Coos Bay on your way up the coast.

Looks like I may have to detour around the first part of hwy 20 as there were some large mudslides over the weekend, hopefully it will be cleared by Sunday.Otherwise I'll have to cut down by Osoyoos.
I would suggest bypassing the 402 and going down to HWY26
I agree hwy 26 is a great route also,I had a hard time deciding on this route or 402.I may change my mind yet.Oregon sure has some great riding routes.
I hope I can make it to Crater Lake with no closers from forest fires.I'm looking forward to this part of the trip.Yes I should hit the coast Hwy between N.Bend and Florence,probably sometime in the afternoon on Weds.

Steptoe Butte put on my route as its only a short side trip. The rolling hills in that area make a great landscape. I also want to do a ride up the old spiral hwy. in Lewiston, the view from the top is awesome. And then there's the ride back down :D

If you haven't been to Artist Point on Mt. Baker before, I highly suggest you do. I'd rate it as the top road in all of Washington. It's even more rewarding if you park the bike and take a short hike out along the ridge line to let the jaw dropping scenery soak in.

Chris

Steptoe Butte put on my route as its only a short side trip. The rolling hills in that area make a great landscape. I also want to do a ride up the old spiral hwy. in Lewiston, the view from the top is awesome. And then there's the ride back down :D

First time I drove the old Lewiston grade I had to do it in a wheat truck. I was working on a wheat ranch in SE Washington and we had to run to Lewiston to pick up some building materials. The guy I was working for thought it would be a good way to check me out before harvest started. I was one nervous puppy, but I made it.

Man I thought everyone had quite riding. They moved every adventure over this traveling section. Glad to see riders are still riding, as this is what it is really about in the first place.

What a great trip it was,The roads through Wa & Oregon are excellent. Lots of winding roads with very little traffic.Here's a link to some Photos Day 1 outside Nighthawk WA. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
It was very hot around Lewiston Idaho 100 F. I know that cool for some of you but fot us on the coast it's hot.Otherwise the weather was great A little drizzle and fog along the coast.
It's time to pack again and back down to the beaches of Oregon.This time in the car with my kitebuggy, time for some windpower cruising on the beach.

Thanks, I've posted some video in the video section of the forum. I have more video footage that I'll edit when I'm back home next week.It's nothing too exiting, just me enjoying the day on my NCX.

Last edited:
Back