• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Traveling is relative

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 80cc Elite scooter had been running poorly lately so one night last week I got the carb straightened out. Running well again I decided to take it on a good long ride, a ride worthy of the rigors of half-pint touring. I chose a breakfast spot about 40 miles away that included a ferry ride across the St. Johns River. I left at sunrise and had a good ride of about an hour along the coast before I met my friend Steve at an intermediate point and he accompanied me on his Harley Road King the rest of the way. We had a nice breakfast and parted ways. The ride home was uneventful yet full of thoughts about why riding a motorcycle, or scooter, is so much fun. I rode back at 35 mph trying to get good mileage and the figure came out to be 105 mpg which is not that great compared to riding my NC at 60 and getting 70-75 mpg without feeling like a very small dog dodging humans in a crowded public space.

ATGATT even on a GNAT. At the half way point:

My 80cc Elite scooter had been running poorly lately so one night last week I got the carb straightened out. Running well again I decided to take it on a good long ride, a ride worthy of the rigors of half-pint touring. I chose a breakfast spot about 40 miles away that included a ferry ride across the St. Johns River. I left at sunrise and had a good ride of about an hour along the coast before I met my friend Steve at an intermediate point and he accompanied me on his Harley Road King the rest of the way. We had a nice breakfast and parted ways. The ride home was uneventful yet full of thoughts about why riding a motorcycle, or scooter, is so much fun. I rode back at 35 mph trying to get good mileage and the figure came out to be 105 mpg which is not that great compared to riding my NC at 60 and getting 70-75 mpg without feeling like a very small dog dodging humans in a crowded public space.

ATGATT even on a GNAT. At the half way point:

I would have loved to get a pic of you riding formation with a Road King on that scooter!

smileyteeth.jpg

Nice post, Dave. Oh yes. The wife and I have a pair of 49cc Rucki (plural of Ruckus?). We generally use them for shorter trips of 20 miles each way through the countryside on routes with nearly zero traffic. But, it's really cool to plan a longer trip on them. Mostly it's the challenge of picking a route that keeps you on back roads to avoid traffic, while still getting you where you're going.

I just recently put a Givi trunk on her Ruckus, so we're ready to tour!

We're also ATGATT on the scoots. Falling off at 38 mph would hurt whether its a large or small bike.

Greg

Too bad they don't still offer the bigger engine in a Rukus. Like riding a scooter but 50cc to get out of town is a bit light for me.

Now if you want to see what the little rides can do check out the Fiddies. Unfortunately they are not racing at Deals Gap this weekend or I would make a side trip up their Saturday night from the Horzons Unlimited event at Iron Horse. Saw them race once last year.
Fiddy Racing Deals Gap Main Race - YouTube

Nice post, Dave. Oh yes. The wife and I have a pair of 49cc Rucki (plural of Ruckus?). We generally use them for shorter trips of 20 miles each way through the countryside on routes with nearly zero traffic. But, it's really cool to plan a longer trip on them. Mostly it's the challenge of picking a route that keeps you on back roads to avoid traffic, while still getting you where you're going.

I just recently put a Givi trunk on her Ruckus, so we're ready to tour!

We're also ATGATT on the scoots. Falling off at 38 mph would hurt whether its a large or small bike.

Greg
Hit the nail on the head. I put about 1000 miles a year on a tiddler and picking the right roads is the challenge. I like roads with two travel lanes or a wide safe bicycle lane so I can ride in a safe lane position and still not hold up traffic. Around here on one lane roads cars will pass you in your own lane with about a foot of clearance if you hug the shoulder so if there is two lanes or more people can pass me. I always try and yield to faster traffic - no one wants to creep along behind a little scooter doing 20 under the limit. Sometimes I have trailered to some place out in the country so I can ride some rural distance without having to enter the cut and thrust of urban traffic. This year the wife and I trailered it down to Daytona for one day of Bike Week which as a lot of fun.

Too bad they don't still offer the bigger engine in a Rukus. Like riding a scooter but 50cc to get out of town is a bit light for me.

Now if you want to see what the little rides can do check out the Fiddies. Unfortunately they are not racing at Deals Gap this weekend or I would make a side trip up their Saturday night from the Horzons Unlimited event at Iron Horse. Saw them race once last year.
Thanks I didn't know about the Deals Gap thing but I did know about the 50cc race down at TWO in Suches. I knew a guy here that rode a 50cc MB-5 from here to Suches and back several years - and he pulled a tiny trailer. That is hardcore.

That is hilarious!

Back