• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Brake lever not returning

cfar

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed this morning my brake light not going out when I let go of the lever. When I looked at the lever, it wasn't returning all the way out.

I've got 4,000 miles so far. Any ideas?

Have you put on an aftermarket brake lever? Some of the levers sold on EBay have issues with the way they contact the brake light switch and cause the symptoms you are describing. If you have the stock levers, look for binding at the lever pivot or a problem with the brake light switch.

Bob

Have you put on an aftermarket brake lever? Some of the levers sold on EBay have issues with the way they contact the brake light switch and cause the symptoms you are describing. If you have the stock levers, look for binding at the lever pivot or a problem with the brake light switch.

Bob

Factory lever. Almost like there isn't enough pressure in the line to push it all the way out or maybe like it it isn't lubed well enough. I'm leaning toward not enough pressure though as the lever doesn't feel like it sticks anywhere else in its travel.

Any other ideas?

I'd remove the lever and clean the lever and perch pivot bushings, see if there is any binding in the switch, re-lube, and put it back together. If it still won't fully extend, take it in to the dealer. I'm guessing your bike is still under warranty?

Sometimes these switches just go out. Make sure connectors are plugged in. Unplug the connectors and reattached them, in case of bad connection. Are your brakes working properly? If not, make sure there is brake fluid to the proper lever in the brake fluid container. Could also be air in brake lines. Take to dealer if under warranty.

I had the same problem when I added my aftermarket brakelever. If the little nub on the brakelight switch isn't hit at just the right angle, it will not depress(this is why the lever wont completely retract when u let go) I ended up pivoting the switch to line up the lever with the switch. However, a factory lever should not have this issue at all.

I'd take her to the dealership ASAP!! There is still pressure being put on the little nub, and that nub is DELICATE!! If you brake it, you will not be able to ride until it's fixed.....

:)

I If you brake it, you will not be able to ride until it's fixed.....

You can still ride just fine. You will just have to unplug one of the little connectors at the brake light switch so your brake light doesn't stay "on" continuously, and remember to also use the rear brake pedal to activate the light, when stopping.

I took it apart, cleaned off the old grease and reassembled the lever without any grease which appears to have fixed the issue. I'll relube and make sure it stays good.

Looks like since this joint is exposed to the elements it collects moisture, dirt and bugs very easily causing it to gunk up.

Back