• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which motorcycle helmet is the best you have personally own and wear?

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
3.jpgHere I ask, "Which motorcycle helmet is the best you have personally own and wear?"

Want to know the best helmet that you have laid down your hard earned money for in real life. No opinions here, just the facts.

My helmet has saved me twice now. It has the Europe sharp highest rating of 5. It is considered by Revzilla as it's all time best. But above all that propaganda it works for me.

My best helmet ever that I purchased and wear daily is the "Shark Evoline".

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCmJt8bc7TI

smileyconsider.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Due to the shape of my noggin the only helmets I've felt comfortable in are the Arai "Signet-Q" and the Shoei RF1100. The Signet-Q line is Arai"s only long oval interior shape. Other Shoei helmets might fit me also, but I don't have any direct experience with them.

Another consideration for me is the fitment of the cheek pads as I have high cheekbones and many helmets don't have cheek pads which are either thin enough or able to be removed so that the foam can be sculpted to fit.

I think that the most important consideration is comfort, as you'll be more inclined to wear a comfortable helmet as opposed to an uncomfortable helmet...however any helmet sold that meets the various specification of DOT, Snell or the European standards will offer more protection than your hairdo and scalp.

There is a new helmet line called 6-D which offers a unique approach to impact deflection and absorption. See here http://www.6dhelmets.com/

Last edited:
I was completely open minded when I shopped for my full face helmet. My budget upper limit was $400 and I was not going to buy a helmet that felt cheap. I tried of dozens of helmets in my size. The only one that fit me was the Shoei Quest. None of the Arais fit me no matter what the price.

I wanted a flip-up and the only one that fit me was the Shoei Multitec. I like it okay. It fits correctly, it's well-made and safe, has decent ventilation, and is a nice Cab Yellow. I'd prefer if the liner came out (for washing) rather than just the cheek pads. I really wish Shoei offered a Transitions shield like Bell does. In fact, I wish the Bell flip-up fit me: great reviews, made in California, Transitions shield. I've always been fond of Bell since one of their bicycle helmets saved my life when I was a teenager.

The last 10 years I have been a modular helmet fan. Prior I was Arias fan but they changed there head shape years back and never found one after the quantum 3 series.

Purchased Nolan's 102, 103 and 104. Each one has been better the the last.........104 makes all the others obsolete, better screen, more quiet by far, sun screen just ok because it has one position, shield has large detents so small opening while riding at speed is not possible. On and off with glasses is no problem. Quick release strap and polycarbonate construction can be a +or -

Recent switch to Shoei NeoTec..........found it to be lighter, better venting by far, better optics, just slightly more quiet, better sun screen! Better shield positioning, better fit and finish.......cons. found a smoking deal at Vintage Motorcycle days and it was more expensive than the Nolan, with eye glass on getting helmet on can be a problem getting helmet with glass on is not a problem. Venting almost too much air movement. D-ring strap and Fiberglass construction can be a + or -

Think the 104 will see limited use..........

Last edited:
Shoei Neotec. Sure, it's more than I want to spend but I typically put 4 or 5 years and 50,000 miles on a helmet before retiring it.

I wanted a flip-up and the only one that fit me was the Shoei Multitec. I like it okay. It fits correctly, it's well-made and safe, has decent ventilation, and is a nice Cab Yellow. I'd prefer if the liner came out (for washing) rather than just the cheek pads. I really wish Shoei offered a Transitions shield like Bell does. In fact, I wish the Bell flip-up fit me: great reviews, made in California, Transitions shield. I've always been fond of Bell since one of their bicycle helmets saved my life when I was a teenager.

I agree about the liner. I have only had the cheek pads out once for washing and I thought that it was a pain to snap back in. As a side note I have been putting my helmet on top of a fan when I take it off to dry it quickly especially in this hot weather.

I wish that Shoei would incorporate the quick release rescue cheek pads in their entire line of helmets instead of only the dirt rider ones. i also wish there was some sort of opaque visor add on for keeping the low sun out of your eyes when tinting and sunglasses aren't enough.

I'm another who's been trending towards flip-ups in the last few years. I've tried HJC, KBC, and Shoei. For the HJC and the KBC flip ups, I had to go to XL to get them to fit well enough to not hurt my forehead right away. They'd still start to ache after awhile, though. The helmets were too round for my head. I will say that the HBC IS-MAX flip-up did save my noggin last year.

The Shoei Neotec flip up is listed as a "neutral" helmet shape, and fits me perfectly. Of course, it's also kind of expensive - $500+ (sometimes plus a LOT, too!). I'm on my second one - first one bit the dust when I did on a high-side crash outside of Arivaca, AZ back in February of this year (where I went down may not quite have been the "middle of nowhere", but it couldn't have been too far off, either...). I managed to ride the 100 or so miles back home, but the helmet was pretty trashed.

The only problem I have with the Neotec is that, while I can get the helmet ON while wearing my glasses, I can't get the helmet OFF with my glasses on. Sigh - such problems.;)

I really dislike being HOT while riding. Therefore my helmet must vent very well. It should hove air to the point that you feel the breeze and exhaust it just as well to pull the hot air and wick away moisture from sweat.
As far as I know the best full face helmet (This one is modular..so you can argue it is not true full face) is the Nolan N43 Air. I do not think it is made anymore. It did not pass DOT certification in the US so it never was sold here. It did however pass the European standard which is generally considered more stringent.
I paid at least $300 for mine including shipping and import fees from Itally.
nolan_n-43_front_view.jpg
nolan-n43-top.jpg
nolan-n43-top-vent.jpg

Webbike world gave it great reviews.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.webbikeworld.com%2Fr2%2Fmotorcycle-helmet%2Fnolan-n43%2F&ei=QUfzUc3zCIPk4APY-IHIBA&usg=AFQjCNEjZToEXZXJjtdce3PI1dwaaD_XqQ&sig2=rUQMqoC9WenXKSZleOUKmQ&bvm=bv.49784469,d.dmg

Last I looked there were still some on closeout in Europe... and they were less than what I paid originally for mine. I am hoping someone will make a helmet that vents this well soon as mine will be wearing out soon!

Last edited:
I will only wear a modular.

-First helmet a silver Sy-MaxII. Webbike World gave it bad review due to locking mechanism. (Sy MaxIII corrected problem.)

-Second a Scorpion EX900 in hi-vis. Replaced free after 1 year for fading color. Replacement is now faded. Apparently all brands have problem with hi-vis fading. HJC has warning of it on box.

-Third a RPHA Max. By far the best. Light, relatively quiet, better air flow, best locking mechanism. Not available in hi-vis. Mine pearl white. 700 miles with it this week.

All three have removable liner. Usually wear a do-rag so less frequent need to clean liner.

I will only wear a modular.

-First helmet a silver Sy-MaxII. Webbike World gave it bad review due to locking mechanism. (Sy MaxIII corrected problem.)

-Second a Scorpion EX900 in hi-vis. Replaced free after 1 year for fading color. Replacement is now faded. Apparently all brands have problem with hi-vis fading. HJC has warning of it on box.

-Third a RPHA Max. By far the best. Light, relatively quiet, better air flow, best locking mechanism. Not available in hi-vis. Mine pearl white. 700 miles with it this week.

All three have removable liner. Usually wear a do-rag so less frequent need to clean liner.

I can put all 3 on without removing my glasses. With front raised they will spread enough to do this.

Last edited:
I can clearly see that the modular helmet has come a long way in the last few years. It is now a lot safer, quieter, and more user friendly helmet.
5.jpg

SmileyHorny.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time trying to find a helmet that fit my head well and comfortably. I was between the Shoei Qwest, RF1100, Icon Alliance, and an O'Neil Tirade. The last two were less expensive by nearly $200, but the Shoeis were SO comfy after wearing them for ~20 min at the store.

I ended up with the RF1100, and I have no regrets with that decision.

ETA: I have a large sized RF, and it BARELY squeezes into the frunk.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

Last edited:
Well fortunately, Hong Jin Crown helmets fit my head very comfortably so I'm able to do just fine with a $115 CL16 in white. Quite happy with it.

Greg

Last edited:
I like my Scorpion EXO-1100. It vents well and doesn't knock me off the bike at high speeds. It DOES NOT fit in the frunk...UGH! However, for my geeky side I really like my custom painted AFX FX-42A. I usually do not use this for high speed riding as it DOES knock me off the bike at high speeds.

IMG_0916.jpg

I currently have an Arai profile that will be replaced in 2015, and briefly used an inexpensive Sohei when I was first learning to ride. Due to my long oval head, the Sohei (and most other helmets I tried) ended up giving me a pressure point on my forehead which was annoying within a minute to painful in about 30 minutes. The Arai fits me perfectly and is very comfortable. When it gets replaced I will by trying out the Schuberth C3 + S2 along with the Arai. The newest model Schuberth modular are lighter than my current helmet, and I would like the convenience of a modular as long as it not heavy and my safety concerns are addressed by my own research. When I first got my Arai the modulars where to heavy for my tastes, and I had some concerns about the robustness of the protection should I have a chin area impact.

Well fortunately, Hong Jin Crown helmets fit my head very comfortably so I'm able to do just fine with a $115 CL16 in white. Quite happy with it.

Greg

I also have a CL-16... it had some issues with fogging up on me with my early morning commutes, a fog city hyper optiks insert fixed that (though it didn't reach the pins on my Medium helmet), hopefully I'll be getting a chin curtain for it soon to cut out some of the wind noise, and keep my chin warmer on the now brisk morning commutes.
I find it very comfortable and adequately vented for Minnesota weather...

I have a big head and have always used HJC helmets. I have tried others on but HJC has always been the best for me. I currently have the Sy-Max III helmet HJC SyMax 3 Helmet - RevZilla , bluetooth ready and flip-up front which is awesome for quick pit stops/gas fill-ups; instead of taking off my gloves and helmet, only to put them back on a minute later, I can flip up the front and not look like I'm trying to rob a place. It has protected me through two falls and the detachable, easy to change/clean visor is a plus. It also has the quickly deploy able tinted visor. The pads are machine-washable as well, and surprisingly do not lose very much of their comfort or original feel after they are washed.

Back