• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Getting ready to travel ... What do I need?!

rhody987

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I am getting ready to go from Ohio to New Hampshire to Nova Scotia.

(No camping required, staying at relatives the whole way)

What do you guys think I NEED? I leave in 3 weeks.

I've got rain pants and a jacket, my normal multi later riding gear. Any thoughts about waterproof boots? Also I am a jeans rider, thinking about riding pants, any recommendations?

For mods, I've got my Corbin seat, Madstad windshield (still trying to refine to get 0 buffet), a throttle lock, ram x GPS mount, and the 3 factory bags.

I've been riding for years but never have attempted anything like this journey and am looking forward to the adventure!

Any advice is welcome!

Pack a tire repair kit (Stop-N-Go is nice) and an air compressor. In addition, join the American Motorcyclist Association (if you have not already), and get free (after you pay your dues) roadside assistance for not only your motorcycle, but for all your vehicles.

Greg

Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 over pants would work in warm and cooler weather. Comes with a removable under layer and a zip out panel that exposes a mesh panel for ventilation. I haven't worn mine in the rain yet, but they are supposedly rain proof. I paid 2 bills for these, but it appears they are now on sale. Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 Waterproof Mesh Pants - Motorcycle Pants - Jafrum

Do you have anything to power your electronics? Any way of listening to music, podcasts, etc?

I would recommend highway pegs for distance riding...I always take along my airhawk air cushion, even with my Seat concepts seat. I may not use it, but if I start getting uncomfortable I can always use it.

Any side cases, top case for packing away things?

Attachments

• smileyquestion.jpg
    smileyquestion.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 154
I'll be the first to list something from the obvious list: A spare key. Put it someplace on your bike. Not in your jacket pocket or it just might be locked in your side bag when you need it.

Funny story. I met some friends for dinner last night. One has a Big Dog chopper. The key goes in from the side. He found out when he got home that the key had popped out somewhere along the way. No spares keys at all.

I have the Joe Rocket Ballistic pants, they are quite comfortable in the warmer weather with shorts underneath. They are only waterproof with the liner in. I find it a lot quicker and easier to put on a pair of waterproof pants over them.

Pack a tire repair kit (Stop-N-Go is nice) and an air compressor. In addition, join the American Motorcyclist Association (if you have not already), and get free (after you pay your dues) roadside assistance for not only your motorcycle, but for all your vehicles.

Greg

does the AMA do stuff for me AAA doesn't? (ive had AAA forever, and they have already towed my old bike once when i had a screw go through the bottom and sidewall!

Do you have anything to power your electronics? Any way of listening to music, podcasts, etc?

I would recommend highway pegs for distance riding...I always take along my airhawk air cushion, even with my Seat concepts seat. I may not use it, but if I start getting uncomfortable I can always use it.

Any side cases, top case for packing away things?

I am thinking highway pegs, ive seen a few on here, but for some reason I am hesitant. That and 2" risers are the last 2 things I am thinking but not committing to yet. Ive got power, and music/podcasts all through my phone.

Thanks for the joe rocket recommendations I will have to look at them this weekend.

I am thinking highway pegs, ive seen a few on here, but for some reason I am hesitant. That and 2" risers are the last 2 things I am thinking but not committing to yet. Ive got power, and music/podcasts all through my phone.

Thanks for the joe rocket recommendations I will have to look at them this weekend.

Can't believe I forgot the Rox risers as a suggestion. They are part of the 5 necessary upgrades for physical comfort.

1. Windscreen to reduce or eliminate buffetting
2. Seat or cushion for distance rides
3. 2 " Rox risers (tilted toward the rider)
4. Throttle lock/cruise control (that works)
5. Highway pegs

The audio stuff is doesn't give you physical comfort... it gives mental comfort. It's a must have though!

There are more upgrades that may make you even more comfortable (Barkbusters, shock upgrade, etc) but those are the must haves in my book.

Attachments

• smileychecklist.jpg
    smileychecklist.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 152
Sun screen, a small towel, something to put under your kickstand in case of soft ground or hot asphalt, a small flashlight or headband light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Not really a "thing" to take, but more of something to do. On long rides/tours, EVERY time I stop, before
I leave the gas station, campsite, restaurant, etc., I make sure I physically put my hands on: Both sets of keys, wallet with
driver's license and debit card, and digital camera.

As a general rule, I never put must-have things on the ground or set them down somewhere. If I need to get something out of my hands, it goes
in a pocket or in the bike.

I never had one of these things for 99% of my biking life, and never would have thought of them as a "must have", but man, I'm addicted to having one now, lol. :eek:

hydrationpack.jpg

Obviously can be any type/brand, as long as it works. Put in some Ice Tea powder, or a few squirts of that Mio stuff, whatever, for flavour, and it's even more awesomerer :D

It also gives you something to do and fiddle with when bored (as long as you don't distract yourself too much and not pay attention to riding, hee hee)

Easy access to some kind of candy or gum can be really enjoyable.

More than one pair of gloves, in case you lose one, or they get wet/thrashed somehow.

I'm blind as a bat, so spare glasses and quick access contact lens stuff is uber important to me.

Anyone mention earplugs yet? I prefer any of the silicone kind available everywhere: (my post #15 in this thread) http://nc700-forum.com/forum/safety-equipment/641-ears-do-not-have-2.html

macks_clearplugs.jpg
pSPDO1-4756261p275w.jpg

An easily reached small container with a damp cloth in it (or pre-opened "wet ones" type of wipes) for cleaning bug guts splats before they dry and harden on your visor. I hate having my vision obscured by too many splats.

Not really a "thing" to take, but more of something to do. On long rides/tours, EVERY time I stop, before
I leave the gas station, campsite, restaurant, etc., I make sure I physically put my hands on: Both sets of keys, wallet with
driver's license and debit card, and digital camera.

As a general rule, I never put must-have things on the ground or set them down somewhere. If I need to get something out of my hands, it goes
in a pocket or in the bike.

Yes! I am positively bristling with carabiner clips and lanyard-attached things, lol. I would forget my passenger/luggage/wallet/phone/own head etc., if it were possible:rolleyes:

An easily reached small container with a damp cloth in it (or pre-opened "wet ones" type of wipes) for cleaning bug guts splats before they dry and harden on your visor. I hate having my vision obscured by too many splats.

I use the sponge in a tennis ball that someone posted on here last year. Works great.

Some one mentioned earplugs. Rain boots,, waterproof boots, in rain your feet get wet fast on this bike. Here is what I have been using for last 10 years, only gone through 3 pairs 13 in Tall Height XX Boot Covers . Price has gone up some but still inexpensive. They take up very little room when stored. I have found on the 700 I had to put a velcro strap around them your legs get so much wind blast. They are waterproof.

Here's the list I use. (Just drop the food and camping gear)
Motorcycle Trip Checklist
Looks like a great trip!!!

Also, I must say the "special" key I made for the frunk comes in really handy. There at least a dozen reasons you'll find for not having to pull the ignition key out. You can leave the "stub key" it in the frunk 80% of the time, no one will notice it.

Get a duplicate key made. Don't use one of the good Honda keys.
The black end is a plug for 3/4" square tubing. Put the key in the frunk lock and measure up about 5/8" This should be the depth of the plug. Now cut off the key to the desired length. The closer the fit the better.
Set the plug on end and fill the plug with JB weld. Set the key into the JB weld and let set overnight.

photo(3).jpgBike key 014.jpg

Back