• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help with Tail Light assembly

gboswellsac

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I need some one with a service manual to copy the page that shows the rear tail assemble and the bolts and send to me or post it. I have a new service manual coming but estimated arrival next week. The big phillips took an impact screwdriver to get out, but the rest of the bolts were tight but still come off except for the one in the center. Just putting a wrench on it with almost no pressure the bolt just moves with the bolt. I cannot get anything off with out it and no way to change out the bulb. I've never had so much trouble with a bike before. Maybe cause all but the 66 Suzuki 150 I purchased the rest I've bought used. Maybe after 8000 mile the bolts will become loose??? The end sticking out is so small I cant get a hold with vice grips to hold bolt while use open end wrench to break the nut free. Any ideas ? I'd like to ride it again as only has 163 miles on it and were fun easy 163 miles. Maybe this girl is just making me earn the right to ride her, but it is getting old quick.

Boz

There are two (2) hex head bolts that go straight up from the rear end of the assembly. Once they come out, you can remove the assembly. Take a flashlight to see a little better and you'll see them.

There are two (2) hex head bolts that go straight up from the rear end of the assembly. Once they come out, you can remove the assembly. Take a flashlight to see a little better and you'll see them.

Thank you so much..... I found an exploded view on a Honda Dealer site and it looked like that may work but your comment says do it.... Thank you very much.

I cannot get anything off with out it and no way to change out the bulb.

What exactly are you wanting to do, Boz? Just change the tail light bulb? You only need to undo the one Phillips screw in the underside of the rear fender, above roughly the top centre of the rear tire, and hinge down the access hatch to get at the bulb.

What exactly are you wanting to do, Boz? Just change the tail light bulb? You only need to undo the one Phillips screw in the underside of the rear fender, above roughly the top centre of the rear tire, and hinge down the access hatch to get at the bulb.

The bulb isn't accessible from the hatch. Only the wiring harness can be unplugged. The two perpendicular bolts and the one phillips screw that was hard to unscrew need to be removed. Once the assembly is off, the socket can be accessed.

The bulb isn't accessible from the hatch. Only the wiring harness can be unplugged. The two perpendicular bolts and the one phillips screw that was hard to unscrew need to be removed. Once the assembly is off, the socket can be accessed.

Really? Well that's kind of silly...:confused:

Huh! I just looked, and I guess I stopped at the: "Remove screw and open the cover" part. It would have never occurred to me to have to remove the whole thing!

Last edited:
Wow you saved my butt on that one. Once I saw the two allen heads it made sense. I just need to go slower and look at what is there, but the service manual will help a bunch. They really do think out the things. When I put the radiator shield on I was having trouble putting the top bolt back in then I remembered how the lower bolt pushed up on the radiator to keep it snug. I loosened the bottom bolt and everything fit, even added a right side (from sitting on bike) bolt to keep radiator tight with shield then tightened the bottom bolt and was really snug. I need to take a forgotten radiator shield to the guy who just bought my DL650 tomorrow and now I'll be able to do it on my 700X. Backroads to Austin with new shield (GIVI) and rear GIVI rack kit and now a new radiator shield and led brake light. Thanks for making tomorrow a fun ride. Thanks again for taking the time to help in the wee hours of the night to help this old fart, made the difference of riding the 700X or just a another ride on the GL1800. Maybe if I slow down on my changes to the 700x I'll appreciate more the fine engineering that went into my new all-purpose ride. I owe the group a bunch for all the wisdom provided and for some of the best humor around. Hopefully I'll be able to pay forward like you did soon, but for now I'm a riding my new baby who appreciated all your help. Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:
Back