• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

12v Accessory options

Mandalorian

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about to install a 12v accessory plug-in. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to simply hooking directly to the battery. Seems the most straightforward method.

I connected my 12 volt outlet direct to the battery through an inline fuse. I prefer at least one 12 volt outlet always "on". That way you can charge phones or GPS when the key is off. You can also use the port to charge the battery by connecting your charger to it. The only good reason to have the outlet switched with the key is if you might accidentally leave accessories connected and powered on, thereby draining the battery.

Greg

I've found that as I advanced in years my memory was indeed the second thing to go. Because of that I'm constantly forgetting to turn off accessories I hook up to the bike, so I always use switched power for 12 volt receptacles and USB ports. As long as you always remember to turn off/unplug any accessories, I'd agree with Greg. If on the other hand you're like me and tend to forget stuff, switched accessory power makes a lot of sense.

Bob

How about putting one of those battery tender leads on and getting a 12v cigarette lighter adapter that connects to that for when you want an always on connector. You could only plug in the 12v cigarette lighter adapter when you want to have something plugged in while the bike is switched off.

Attachments

• batterytenderplug.jpg
    batterytenderplug.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
The "tender" cable is cheap enough that you could actually have two: one connected directly to the battery , and one connected to wires that are only "on" when the ignition is "ON". I'd wrap the directly connected cable end in red electrical tape to remind me.

the red would be ONLY for the battery charger, and the other would serve all other connections.

I'd do that myself, but I have no idea how to connect to "switched" power from the ignition.
If someone ever posts a picture that says "use this wire for ground, this one for hot" to connect though the ignition, I will wire it that way that same weekend!
(provided the wires are accessible. I'd have to cut them and use those crimp connectors to splice...that takes some room and cable slack to do it!)

Last edited:
I have a 12v accessory plug-in on my handle bars. Can get at any dealership thought Tucker Rocky. It has correct fuses, and is hooked directly to battery. From the moment I leave the house on any trip something is plugged in. When traveling always plug in my Iphone for the music and the navigation system. This keeps the Iphone fully charged at all times. Once I have stopped for the night (no engine running), I plug in my interphone F4 headset charger for the complete night, putting the interphone attachment into the frunk to charge over night. First thing after waking up, I plug in my HP laptop to charge while I pack tent, gear, and get shower.

Have never ran my battery down on the NC700X. Keeps my gear charged and ready to use at all times. If only ATT could give me that good of coverage!

The 12 volt plug is a must have for the open road.

Back