• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

BRAKES DONE AT 10,000 MILES !!! Was it something I did?!?

Jay Fridays

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
BRAKES GONE AT 10,000 MILES !!! Was it something I did?!?

I went for my 8k mile service today (@ 10200 miles ) Everything was fine, except the mechanic told me my rear brakes were just about Metal-to-Metal !!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

How many miles have you got out of your brakes so far ?!?!?

THe Guy told me he usually gets 40-50k miles out of his rear pads; so, i'm trying to figure it out...

I try to brake pretty evenly, sometimes even favoring the front... maybe with my boots, I don't realize how heavy footed I am? Maybe it has to do with all my Start/stop city driving? I don't know....

What do you think?

And now that it's time, what brakes do you suggest for the NC?

Last edited:
I went for my 8k mile service today (@ 10200 miles ) Everything was fine, except the mechanic told me my rear brakes were just about Metal-to-Metal !!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

How many miles have you got out of your brakes so far ?!?!?

THe Guy told me he usually gets 40-50k miles out of his rear pads; so, i'm trying to figure it out...

I try to brake pretty evenly, sometimes even favoring the front... maybe with my boots, I don't realize how heavy footed I am? Maybe it has to do with all my Start/stop city driving? I don't know....

What do you think?

And now that it's time, what brakes do you suggest for the NC?

Normally I would say you probably had your toe on the brake pedal or a caliper that doesn't retract like it should. But the mechanic should have checked for that.

But since this is one of those fancy DCT models with the computer controlled integrated front and rear brakes, I wonder. Could a faulty sensor be applying the rear brake? Hard to tell without testing. Its a complicated system. Seems like your mechanic should have looked a little deeper into the cause for you.

If you are unknowingly hitting the brake with your foot while riding, the brake light would go on and you should smell something hot ;)

Normally I would say you probably had your toe on the brake pedal or a caliper that doesn't retract like it should. But the mechanic should have checked for that.

But since this is one of those fancy DCT models with the computer controlled integrated front and rear brakes, I wonder. Could a faulty sensor be applying the rear brake? Hard to tell without testing. Its a complicated system. Seems like your mechanic should have looked a little deeper into the cause for you.

If you are unknowingly hitting the brake with your foot while riding, the brake light would go on and you should smell something hot ;)

No i'm not accidently hitting the brake..lol
I meant, maybe I'm pressing it harder than I think....

I know that I'm not riding around holding the brakes... jeeeze. give a little more credit than that....:rolleyes:

and there are no funny smells anywhere... (well, none made by the bike.....lol)

The integrated front and rear brakes aren't computer controlled. The pedal operates the back brake and also one piston of the front caliper hydraulically. The ABS just looks to see when the wheel might be locking up and takes the brake pressure off.

Front brakes normally take 70 to 80% of braking force so if you're using both routinely the rear shouldn't wear out first.

As originally pointed out the two most common causes or premature pad wear are over use of the brake or a sticking caliper. There's no particular reason why a sticking caliper need generate any smells that you would notice.

The mechanic should have tried to find out what the cause was - I'd go back and ask him.

I did ask him... He said tere is nothing wrong with the bike... He just said I just brake waaaaay hard...lol

But then he said he doesn't know if these particular bikes wear pads fast, or not, because he hasn't done too many services on these yet.
That's why I was wondering what other people got out of their NC so far?

I drive all the way accross LA and Hollywood everyday to get to school and work... And I am ALWAYS LATE !!! Which means I am doing 30-55 on city streets in between stop lights....

Last edited:
I did ask him... He said tere is nothing wrong with the bike... He just said I just brake waaaaay hard...lol

I drive all the way accross LA and Hollywood everyday to get to school and work... And I am ALWAYS LATE !!! Which means I am doing 30-55 on city streets in between stop lights....

Maybe.... leave a little earlier and save some brakes ... if that is an option
smileythoughtful.jpg

Maybe.... leave a little earlier and save some brakes ... if that is an option
View attachment 6567

That makes perfect sense... in theory

However, I do not believe this will be motivation enough to get me out of bed in the morning.....lol

Maybe I should just practice using less back brake... I guess I just feel like it's stopping better. The front brake feels soft to me. Maybe my senses are overcompensating by smashing the brake pedal to feel like I'm stopping better? Ooooh. I don't know?!?

Last edited:
When on the centerstand can you spin the wheel freely? How much freeplay in the pedal, before the brake applies?

Could be needs a bit more freeplay in the pedal.

Art

Last edited:
I don't have a centerstand. But I did watch them put it on the jack and clean/lube the chain. It looked to be spinning freely. He was using the brakes to stop it as he worked, and didn't mention anything out of the ordinary with the brakes.

Maybe I should just practice using less back brake... I guess I just feel like it's stopping better. The front brake feels soft to me. Maybe my senses are overcompensating by smashing the brake pedal to feel like I'm stopping better? Ooooh. I don't know?!?

Sounds like you've found the problem - I've also got the DCT ABS and the Front Brake is very effective, a lot more effective than the foot brake. If I only use the foot brake to stop I really have to press down hard.

Initiate braking with the front brake and finish off with the rear brake.

The front brake is for stopping, the rear brake is for control.

Blasting between lights does little to nothing to get you anywhere any quicker. What counts is your average speed, and that is effectively limited by the traffic lights. Short, multiple bursts of speed make you feel like you're getting somewhere quicker, but all you're really doing is increasing your chances of an accident or getting a ticket. (Being in a rush-rush-rush frame of mind on the road reduces your attention to potential dangers around you and makes you take dangerous chances you otherwise wouldn't).

I once had a great opportunity to test this out first hand in largely urban traffic (outbound from Tokyo). We were both in similar vehicles and driving where the speed limit is 50kph. We started from the same red light. The other guy was blasting around 80-90 between lights. He would hit the next red light, and about ten or fifteen seconds later I would pull up right next to him, or sometimes a length or two ahead of him. We kept repeating this process for two hours, with him hitting speeds of probably 100 as we got out in the country and onto a rural bypass, which we were still together on for about thirty minutes until he finally caught a light that I didn't.

His speeds for the entire two hours we were together were enough to get his license revoked (not suspended...revoked), and he was a menace to himself and all those around him.

My top speed for that entire day was 57kph. His top between lights was probably never less than 80. Yet over the course of two whole hours running and covering about 70-80 km our average speed was IDENTICAL.

I'm using at least 70% of front brake... rear one only for support and when I'm under 25km/h (going out of garage, parking lots at markets etc) just to remind myself that it's there. :cool:

Blasting between lights does little to nothing to get you anywhere any quicker. What counts is your average speed, and that is effectively limited by the traffic lights. Short, multiple bursts of speed make you feel like you're getting somewhere quicker, but all you're really doing is increasing your chances of an accident or getting a ticket. (Being in a rush-rush-rush frame of mind on the road reduces your attention to potential dangers around you and makes you take dangerous chances you otherwise wouldn't).

I once had a great opportunity to test this out first hand in largely urban traffic (outbound from Tokyo). We were both in similar vehicles and driving where the speed limit is 50kph. We started from the same red light. The other guy was blasting around 80-90 between lights. He would hit the next red light, and about ten or fifteen seconds later I would pull up right next to him, or sometimes a length or two ahead of him. We kept repeating this process for two hours, with him hitting speeds of probably 100 as we got out in the country and onto a rural bypass, which we were still together on for about thirty minutes until he finally caught a light that I didn't.

His speeds for the entire two hours we were together were enough to get his license revoked (not suspended...revoked), and he was a menace to himself and all those around him.

My top speed for that entire day was 57kph. His top between lights was probably never less than 80. Yet over the course of two whole hours running and covering about 70-80 km our average speed was IDENTICAL.

Yes, but if he were to make one of those lights right before it turned red, and you did not, and got stuck, it would cause a large chain of events where he gained a couple minutes on you. Sometimes a couple minutes is the difference between getting there on time, or being late. i know this very well....

Average speed counts the time when you are stopped at 0mph. If you have more of those than the other guy, you loose.... The lights here (in Hollywood) are timed, not on crosswalk buttons. If you get the right timing and speed, you can cross hollywood in 6 minutes. If you get stopped a lot at lights it can take 12-15. A few of those tardies is the difference between an A and a B grade sometimes. I also make it from Korea town to sun Valley for work in 19 minutes. If I just cruise, like you suggested, it can take 25-26 minutes. That's the difference between being late for work, or keeping my perfect attendance/punctuallity record. Cool.png

Last edited:
I'm using at least 70% of front brake... rear one only for support and when I'm under 25km/h (going out of garage, parking lots at markets etc) just to remind myself that it's there. :cool:

My rear brake feels much stronger than my front... It feels like I'm braking, but I don't get that power until I press the foot brake. I guess it's just perception?

Sorry I do not have a DCT to compare but last brake pad check I had at least 60% pad left at 14,000 miles.

Sorry I do not have a DCT to compare but last brake pad check I had at least 60% pad left at 14,000 miles.

Ok, thanks...lol (a little more confirmation of my bad braking habits...lol)

now we are getting somewhere... I just want some comparisons. That's a good one. Now someone with a DCT?

I'm only at 4500 miles, but my rear is nearly new (95%), still has the chamfer that was cut in it. But that is because I brake with the front, only applying the rear in slow moving areas like a parking lot or in emergency braking.

my friend on his ninja 250 only has 3000 miles on the bike, and has had to already replace the rear, the front looks almost new.

your problem is your brake balance force, 70-90% to the front, and the rest to the rear. Not only are you wearing out your rear pads so fast, you are accelerating rear tire wear.

As for your other issue, get up earlier, slow down, and enjoy the ride.

Back