• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Please ATGATT!!!

tooblekain

Reaction score
Visit site
Just doing my public service announcement but PLEASE ATTGATT!!!

I have always said for years that the most expensive gear will always be cheaper than a hospital bill. This video was posted on another forum I belong to and hits the nail on the head. Don't worry, its not gory or anything, but makes you realize how much your body is really worth. I do wish that the rider on this video actually had leather riding pants and not just jeans:

[video=youtube;06xtYcrryQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06xtYcrryQE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

High marks for handling a difficult subject. It presented the problem and solution in an entertaining way and statyed away from the GORE.

It's time for a pair of good Pants
.... that's the biggest weakness in my body armor coverage.
(except when I'm wearing the full Tourmaster "Centurion" suit. I do have one of those.)

Honestly, It's hard to find a good pair of pants that are comfortable. A lot of people like chaps but I can't stand that. Also be sure to wear a nice jacket, that way you won't suffer from abbrasions against the ground.

Honestly, It's hard to find a good pair of pants that are comfortable. A lot of people like chaps but I can't stand that. Also be sure to wear a nice jacket, that way you won't suffer from abbrasions against the ground.

I agree with you there. I hate chaps and the area that isnt covered is the most likely area to get road rash. My solution is actually the Icon Automag leather overpants and I use separate knee and shin armor just like the video. That way, I can wear my work slacks or even shorts under the overpants when its hot and have the benefit of leather protection. I have gone down twice wearing these pants and they are still the original pair. Very solid and came away unscathed other than a bruised ego and a scuffed up bike.

Last edited:
OK... it hurt the family budget some... but I ordered

pants

jacket

total was about $138.... not bad for a jacket and pants set.

(wish it were Tourmaster,
but in the words of a famous philosopher...
"You can't always get what you want!"
)

Just doing my public service announcement but PLEASE ATTGATT!!!

I have always said for years that the most expensive gear will always be cheaper than a hospital bill. This video was posted on another forum I belong to and hits the nail on the head. Don't worry, its not gory or anything, but makes you realize how much your body is really worth. I do wish that the rider on this video actually had leather riding pants and not just jeans:

4.jpg

I call my safety gear skin retaining gear. The impact will brake the bones , but the gear keeps the skin where it belongs, on your body.

smileyAccident.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Great little clip. Yeah, without trying to get on a soap box. Jeans don't last but a fraction of a second while skidding on the pavement. I've got the scars to prove it. Also padding does help prevent fractures, as if I didn't at least have my riding jacket on when I went down I'm convinced I would have shattered my elbow instead of just badly bruising it. Gear won't prevent all injuries, but it WILL MOST certainly lessen some that could be much worse. I now wear All The Gear All The Time. Road Rash sucks!!!

I love seeing the female pillions ... in a bikini!
Aesthetically, very nice, but as a dad of two daughters, it makes me wince.

OK... it hurt the family budget some... but I ordered

pants

jacket

total was about $138.... not bad for a jacket and pants set.

(wish it were Tourmaster,
but in the words of a famous philosopher...
"You can't always get what you want!"
)

The maker of the video perhaps could have had more positive impact if he hadn't given the impression adequate protective gear costs so much.

People who have never even looked at gear before, assuming it must be beyond their reach, won't even bother looking if the only indication of price is the gear he had the guy in the video wearing. There are a ton of riders who manage to fit a bike into their budget and might be persuaded to part with an extra hundred here and there for gear if they thought it within their reach. But show them $600 for a jacket and $400 for a pair of pants and they're going to tune you right out as that is simply not money they're able to come up with.

The less well-off riders need to know there is protective gear out there for them as well, not just the well-heeled yuppies with money to burn.

Following links from the at video I must have watched two hours of motorcycle crashes on the same damn corner of Mulholland Drive last night. There is a 8 foot stretch of guard rail that must get hit by an out of control sport bikes 30 times a year. I watched a motorcycle literally burn down to twisted metal - rider was fine. The good news is that in almost all of those crashes, the riders were properly geared.

The maker of the video perhaps could have had more positive impact if he hadn't given the impression adequate protective gear costs so much.

People who have never even looked at gear before, assuming it must be beyond their reach, won't even bother looking if the only indication of price is the gear he had the guy in the video wearing. There are a ton of riders who manage to fit a bike into their budget and might be persuaded to part with an extra hundred here and there for gear if they thought it within their reach. But show them $600 for a jacket and $400 for a pair of pants and they're going to tune you right out as that is simply not money they're able to come up with.

The less well-off riders need to know there is protective gear out there for them as well, not just the well-heeled yuppies with money to burn.

Agreed... I think my Jacket is very nice, and cost half of what the video lists, and I felt I spent a lot. My gloves cost 1/5th of what they list... my helmet one 1/4th. All totalled I'm in for 500 dollars. I still need to get boots and pants, but if we are going with the total price from the video I have a grand to spend on those two items.

But my takeaway from most of these types of videos is on a scale from cheap to expensive, the cheapest option is to just not get into an accident. Sadly we don't always get a choice on that part.

My track gear pretty much was on par if not more than what the video portrayed. For track I wear a Bell Star Carbon helmet, Spyke full leather suit, Impact Armor Chest Protector, Impact Armor Back Protector, Held Phantom gloves, Leatt STX neck brace, and Sidi Vortice Boots. Estimated total cost: $3500

My street gear is around par if not less than the video: For Cooler weahter: Icon Automag Leather pants, Azonic Knee and shin guard, Frank Thomas Cafe Racer Jacket, Thurlow full gauntlet gloves, Bell Star Helmet, unknown brand back protector, Dainese Torque Out Boots. Estimated total cost: $1500-$2000

My street gear for hotter weather: Scoprion Jacket, First Gear riding pants, Wells Lamont Deerskin shorty gloves, Bell Star Helmet, unknown brand back protector, Dainese Torque out boots. Estimated total cost: $1000

The other thing about gear is you can find them on sale on clearance or for sale barely used for much less.

I always try to tell any potential new rider that before even looking at bikes, secure your gear first. Some have listened and got lucky, some have not and paid the consequences. I do what I can to advocate safety but in the end it is the individual's choice.

Agreed... I think my Jacket is very nice, and cost half of what the video lists, and I felt I spent a lot. My gloves cost 1/5th of what they list... my helmet one 1/4th. All totalled I'm in for 500 dollars. I still need to get boots and pants, but if we are going with the total price from the video I have a grand to spend on those two items.

But my takeaway from most of these types of videos is on a scale from cheap to expensive, the cheapest option is to just not get into an accident. Sadly we don't always get a choice on that part.

Full gear saved my hide last week. I've been riding for 40+ years and never had a serious crash until last week. I went down at about 50 MPH ( I could not get around construction material falling off a truck). I broke my left hand and badly sprained my left foot and ankle. I had surgery on the hand and spent 3 days in the hospital.i will be out of work for several weeks. Without gear my injuries would have been much more severe even life threatening. Riding pants and helmet were destroyed but no head injuries or road rash.Whatever you can afford to spend on gear is worth it. Just got estimate on bike, $2500, all cosmetic damage. Bike was still rideable after crash ( not by me). Ride safe.

smileyhurt.jpg
Full gear saved my hide last week. I've been riding for 40+ years and never had a serious crash until last week. I went down at about 50 MPH ( I could not get around construction material falling off a truck). I broke my left hand and badly sprained my left foot and ankle. I had surgery on the hand and spent 3 days in the hospital.i will be out of work for several weeks. Without gear my injuries would have been much more severe even life threatening. Riding pants and helmet were destroyed but no head injuries or road rash.Whatever you can afford to spend on gear is worth it. Just got estimate on bike, $2500, all cosmetic damage. Bike was still rideable after crash ( not by me). Ride safe.

Sorry to hear you went down, but glad you had the sense to be wearing full gear! Hope you are up and riding again ASAP!

Last edited:

Glad you got off without anything serious - just shows, you never know when something will happen so wear your gear every time.

Back