• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil change question...

Danimal

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, sorry for the dumb question but I couldn't find anything online regarding this and thought for sure someone here would know.

Ok so the nc700 is my first bike. Bought brand new. Need to know two things...

1. How soon for 1st oil change (I'm at 800 miles)
2. How does one DIY? Can't be that difficult is it?

Thanks in advance

first oil change is 600 miles (a little more won't kill it).
Have you done an oil change in a car? Same deal. On slightly warm engine, unscrew, drain, attach filter/plug, refill. The torque specs are in your owner's manual, a couple pages from the back. There are other things that need to be checked, just to make sure everything got put together correctly. That's all in the maintenance table in your owner's manual.
If you're wanting to do anything more than oil changes, definitely order a service manual. If I can manage the maintenance myself, you can.

The owner's manual you should have gotten with your bike shows the service intervals and the oil change procedure. The manual tells a lot, like how to remove wheels, adjust chain, etc.

In addition you can search this forum for oil change info, but be warned, there will be a ton of info.

If the dealer didn't point it out the owners manual is under the false bottom of the storage compartment.

The torque specs are in your owner's manual, a couple pages from the back.

This is true, but the torque spec is for clean dry bolt into clean dry threads. With oil residue on the threads it is easier to strip something trying to get it to the torque spec. My personal opinion is don't use a torque wrench on the drain bolt or filter. Honda has to keep the lawyers happy by putting a torque spec because 'finger tight and just a little bit' means lots of different things to different people

This is true, but the torque spec is for clean dry bolt into clean dry threads. With oil residue on the threads it is easier to strip something trying to get it to the torque spec. My personal opinion is don't use a torque wrench on the drain bolt or filter. Honda has to keep the lawyers happy by putting a torque spec because 'finger tight and just a little bit' means lots of different things to different people

You don't suppose they tested for the service spec torque settings as well? Think of 30Nm as "nicely snug" and recommended by the manufacturer.

Thanks everyone. Got it done. Wanted to beat the hell out of the person who installed the factory filter.
Ended up driving a screwdriver through it and torquing the hell out of it to get it off.but it came off finally.

Godzilla's father put my oil filter on. Had to just about crush it getting it off.
My first clew should have beed needing pliers to check the oil when I bought it new.

Is it not just unbelievable all the good folks on this forum! When you got a problem just ask! We may have different thoughts on a subject, but you will get an answer. I proud to be a member of a form with so many good folks. Just ask!

My first clew should have been needing pliers to check the oil when I bought it new.

Yeah, almost the same for me. I was ready to get the pliers but finally managed without. The torque on that plug should be on the dealer, though, as any dealer worth their salt is going to at least check the oil before they let it out the door. (Experience reminded me a bit of checking my lawnmower oil. :))

screw driver trick

Thanks everyone. Got it done. Wanted to beat the hell out of the person who installed the factory filter.
Ended up driving a screwdriver through it and torquing the hell out of it to get it off.but it came off finally.

Bought a used 2012 with 800 miles. The 600 mile service had not been done. I too had to torque off the filter with a screw driver driven through it. I used a phillips head long shafted driver. I bent the driver due to the torque I had to apply. I learned 2 things from this experience: the Honda factory is tired of listening to their lawyers complain about leaving loose filters; they don't make screwdrivers like they used to.

The filter is on hand-tight now, won't ever be a problem again.

Back