• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

BRMC to TWo Suches

Fuzzy

Reaction score
Visit site
Spent two days based out of the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground near Canton, NC and just off the Blue Ridge Parkway on NC 276. I know a couple others here have had issues there, but my experiences have been great. Riding in the area is wonderful. Great fellowship around the campfire in the evening with other motorcyclists from all over. Several from Canada were there on a repeat trip. One of their accommodation options I am partial to is camping cabins, they have 15. They are small A-frames with either two single beds or one queen size bed. No other amenities in the room except heat and towels. Campground bathhouse is used for other needs. With a cost of $45 including tax, and that spilt with a riding buddy there is hardly justification to carry a tent and spend time setting up. They serve a breakfast and on weekends dinner. Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground

Friday morning my two riding partners had to head home and I decided to ride with them into Tennessee and then alone south into Georgia. We headed west on the Blue Ridge Parkway to 74 then a high speed run to Moonshiner 28 and the area near the Dragon also known at Hellbender 28. Many people who travel to the Dragon consider the approach up Hellbender 28 to be a better ride than the Dragon. I will probably have to buy a Dragon picture on my NC, but they are not all up yet to make a choice. Here is one of Killboy’s proofs.
Screenshot_2013-07-14-19-48-12-1.jpg

And at the overlook.
img_1022_80372.jpg

After the Dragon one friend headed west to home and the other made the return Dragon trip with me. Just after the Dragon going south is a steep twisting down hill on US129 to just below the Cheoah Lake dam. I saw a sight that in many trips I had not seen and TVA hates, letting water over the dam without making electricity from the energy of falling water. Looking at the picture think of Harrison Ford escaping Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive.
IMG_4800.JPG

After the picture stop it was on to the Cherohala. I always stop at the Thunder Mountain store to visit with the owner, a great guy.
front_TMNC.jpg

Then non-stop over the Cherohala to Tellico Plains, TN. It was one of the best Cherohala rides I’ve had; great weather and little traffic on a Friday. In Tellico Plains I have 3 must do stops. First we went to the Tellico Plains Bakery for lunch and some banana nut bread for later.
exterior390.jpg

Second is to visit with Mike at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters. Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters This is one of the best places anywhere to buy gear and his in store prices match some of the best on the internet. I wanted to try on one of the new HJC RPHA Max modular helmets. One of the friends I was riding with has one and raves on it. Mike has one my size which felt good after 15 minutes on but not my color. It will be delivered to my house next week. :) Mike’s cash flow is struggling this year with all the rain. I was glad to help and expect to enjoy my helmet.
DSC01201.jpg

And of course the third stop is to the Telico Creamery across the street to get some icecream from Mike’s wife Cherie, also an avid biker. Advice, don’t order 2 scoops, you won’t finish that much. :)
cherie2.jpg

After Tellico Plains my NC was weighted down a bit heavier and I headed south to Suches, GA. The old TWO, (Two Wheels Only) has reopened as TWo (Two Wheels of Suches) under new ownership. The lodge was full as they were hosting a motorcycle event and I did not have my camping gear so I booked an A-Frame cabin at the High Valley airport ¾ mile up GA 180 form TWo. Same deal and price as BRMC. North Georgia Getaway: High Valley Log Cabins Facilioties are first class and payment is on the honor system left in a lock box. They do take reservations for the cabins so you know you have a spot. Their 4 bunkhouse cabins were full with a half dozen tents set up and 2 of the rental houses full, all with bikers. 2nd day in a row with no rain which this summer is exceptionally good. The airport was built by Frank, the original owner of TWO, a retired Navy pilot and retired Eastern Airlines Pilot and most of all an avid Biker.
click

Saturday I started out with a Cooler Run, named by Frank and all left turns (truly the best way to ride the routs. left out of the campground, left / south on GA 60, over Woody Gap, left on US 19 at the rock pile (grave of an Indian princess)
stonepile.jpg

Left on US 129 (another great section of the same route as the Dragon), up Blood Mountain over Neal’s Gap, (the run up Blood AMountain from the south is my favorite motorcycle road anywhere. Great challenging twisty climb with plenty of passing lanes to prevent frustration behind a motor home), then left on GA 180 over Wolf Pen Gap. Wolf Pen Gap is sometimes referred to as the “Georgia Dragon”. It is actually a more technical ride than the Dragon with steep incline to go with the hairpin turns.

My next destination was to go up Richard Russell Scenic Highway GA 348 over Hogpen Gap. Unfortunately towards the top the fog was too thick to see the road so I turned back. I did get back in the afternoon. GA has some scenic overlooks too.
[img}https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...TI/AAAAAAAAAj4/JwlP24qkhAo/s576/IMG_4843.JPG]
TWo had no accommodations for me this trip but lunch was definitely on. It was great and of course the fellowship with other bikers is always great. About 50 bikes scattered around the building when I arrived for a late lunch. Had thinned out some by the time I finished and took the picture.
IMG_4839.JPG

Jarvis shared about the Swinging Bridge of Suches so I had to check it out. Good thing the NC has some off road capability. Here is the 4 mile road to the parking area:
IMG_4835.JPG

Bridge is longes swinging bridge east of Mississippi, I assume built for a hiking trail as nearest vehicle access is ½ mile hike.
IMG_4831.JPG

270 miles of great riding. Fog changed my direction once, but a third day staying dry.
Sunday I had to head home so nothing special to report. Arrived home after 10 days of ownership and 2,361 miles of riding that confirmed I made a great decision selection the NC700XD. :D

I just rode byTWO couple of weeks ago. Stayed at "The Lodge" in Copperhead instead because I thought TWO was still closed down. Nice to see it opened up again. Missed the rain until I came back to Florida. Great pics and ride report.

Couple more Highlights

When at the BRMC make a side trip to Maggie Valley and the Wheels Through Time museum. HomeÂ*-Â*Wheels Through Time Largest collection there is of antique U.S. made motorcyclew with many one of a kind. They all run and if you show some interest Dale or his son will start firing them up for you. I once got a ride on an enduro rig around the property. Every year they raffle off a bike they rebuilt and I am sure I have the winning ticket this year.
Image1.png

In front of the Telico Plains Bakery was a Goldwing that may have ridden further than I did to get there.
Image-3.png

TN 68 south from Tellico Plains is known as the Rattler but tends to have a lot of traffic. The route I prefer south from Telico Plains is TN 39 to TN 315 to TN 30 and then US 64 to Ducktown. Prior to 64 the route has lots of twist with no traffic. 64 follows the Ocoee River where the white water events were held as part of the Atlanta Olympics. With all the rain the water was flowing fast and the river was full of rafters.
IMG_4816.JPG

If you fall out and make it to shore the rest of the folks in the raft have a tough time getting to you. :eek:
IMG_4809.JPG

When I got home I weighed my luggage. Total was 91 pounds. With that extra weight aft these chicken strips aren't too bad. :)
IMG_4821.JPG

Back