• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What is the coolest riding gear? ... as in temperatures

netizen

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
What gear do you know of that helps you ride cooler in the high temps?

Now that the temperatures are rising what is the "Coolest" gear that you have or know about?

The coolest item I have found is the Nolan N43 Air. As I stated in other posts it is NOT DOT approved so you can only legally wear it in countries that uses the european ECE certification. The irony there is the ECE certification is considered the more strict of the two, and DOT continues to certify half helmets.

Airflow in the helmet is one of my top priorities so I imported one from Italy several years ago and I love it.

I don't think Nolan makes the N43 air anymore since it was denied entry to the American market (a real shame). I haven't heard of anything that vents like it but am always looking as my N43 Air will have to be replaced someday.

nolan-n43-top-vent.jpg

You also need a helmet liner which helps wick away any sweat you have

heatouthelmetliner.jpg

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Street/Motorcycle-Helmets/Accessories/brand/HEAT-OUT/Helmet-Liner/p/41714_59409

Last edited:

This is very interesting... wish it was full face or convertible/modular, but I like te design!

Unfortunately it is also only available in Europe (not sure if it is because of DOT), and is $618.

But this is a neat concept! I really like innovative designs like this especially when they work better. Thanks for posting this!

smileyteeth.jpg

I recently purchased some of the Heat-Out gear from Cycle gear when we started having some tripple digit weather here. So far I can say that it works. It's noticeably cooler, and wearing the shorts or pants instead of cotton boxers helps out with the whole swamp crotch situation from riding in the heat. I bought 2Long Sleeve and one short sleeve shirts, one pair of shorts and one pair of long pants. I plan to buy some more so I have enough to wear between washings.

I recently purchased some of the Heat-Out gear from Cycle gear when we started having some tripple digit weather here. So far I can say that it works. It's noticeably cooler, and wearing the shorts or pants instead of cotton boxers helps out with the whole swamp crotch situation from riding in the heat. I bought 2Long Sleeve and one short sleeve shirts, one pair of shorts and one pair of long pants. I plan to buy some more so I have enough to wear between washings.

I recently got some of this Heat out gear myself and have had good results so far. Haven't tried LD comfort yet but hope to at some point.

Saw this as a really cool vest option... Not sure how heavy it is though.

ClimatechHeatsheildII.jpg

Heat Shield II

I have one of those vests you soak in ice water but haven't tried it yet. I know they work best in low humidity areas but I am in the southeast so not sure how well it will work here.

I haven't used one yet, but we have freeze vests at my work. We keep them in a freezer in the change room by the chemical plant I work in.(we often have to work in fully encapsulated suits, which can get VERY HOT in the summertime!) I bet it would help quite a bit, just have to have access to a freezer for each trip for limited cooling, but good cooling for the limited time.

Today it was 92 degrees. I was wearing my Olympia air pants and Joe Rocket (8 years old) summer jacket. It was not bad at all, to my surprise. I would not ride my Goldwing passed 80-82 EVER.
On the NC - there is much more airflow.
I also have the Silver Eagle evaporation vest, which is also about 6 years old. I used it maybe 5 times. But a friend of mine who was riding thru the dead-lands was very happy that I talked him into taking my vest with him. It really helped, he said.

In the hot days of summer I like to wear microfiber 80/90% polyester long sleeve shirts and light nylon long pants under mesh. For underwear I favor stretch microfiber boxers with a nylon/polyester blend of fiber. I bought a pair of Heat Out boxers from Cycle Gear to experiment but they seem too "rubbery" to me with 35% polyester/60% polyarimide blend and held too much perspiration against my skin. They almost smell like wetsuit material. I wear neckerchiefs or neck gaiters and soak the neckwear and front of my shirt with water in really hot conditions over 93-95 degrees. I have cooling vest that holds water but it has always seemed too clammy in high humidity to do much good. In lower humidity they must do a better job. Sometimes I'll wear my Aerostich Roadcrafter on the NC as the airflow is good enough to push air through it and it's supposed to be less dehydrating than mesh. As long as I am moving it is probably better for me.

I need to experiment with my evaporative vest. I keep saying I am going to do that, then I ride off without it. Maybe wear a moisture wicking shirt under it then my mesh jacket and pants.

It is very humid so I may get the "Clammy" feel, but I won't know until I try and I won't know if it's better than the heat.

smileymelt.jpg

I've been wearing the Heat-Out base layer from Cycle Gear the last few days in 80ish temps and have been extremely happy with the results. How it fares at 90 or 116???????????

Last edited:
For the past few years I've been using mesh gear in hot weather (often with an evaporative vest underneath), but this year I'm trying both the LDComfort sleeves or an LDComfort long sleeve shirt with the fabric riding jacket I use for "other" season riding. I just wet down the LDComfort sleeves (and maybe the neck area, if I'm using the shirt). I leave the wrist vents open on the jacket, and go with that. As long as I'm moving, the LDComfort stuff wicks the water away from my skin to the outside of the sleeves or shirt, and then evaporative cooling sets in and keeps me pretty comfortable. No hot breezes get though as long as there's moisture on the sleeves inside the jacket. It seems to be working better than the mesh gear so far...

Back