• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery Charging? New to that!

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dear Friends,
Recently, I mistakenly left my GPS connected to my NC700x via a USB adapter connected to the battery tender cable.
The Result?

The battery is now dead.

I've connected the battery to a "Battery Tender Jr."

It seems a simple device to operate. I have read the general instructions, but it didn't say how long it will take to charge the NC700x 12-volt battery. Does anyone know how long it takes to charge?

Has anyone used one of these battery tenders? Any advice ?

Last edited:
The battery tender has been around for a long time now, and for a very good reason - it works. You only want a 2 amp charge on a small motorcycle battery and the battery tender does this perfect. Leave on over night and you will be rolling in the morning.

The Jr. takes about FOREVER to fully charge a dead battery...

I recommend the Battery Tender, but not the junior model.. the extra few dollars will save you DAYS of charging in the long run...

OCR! good to hear from you. I see your shoulder doesn't stop you from typing. I'm glad.

30 years ago, I hooked up an old school charger backwards! It literally caught on fire! I read that the battery tender won't let that happen.

I connected the Battery Tender Jr. to the battery tender cable I attached directly to the battery months ago.

Wow! I'm glad I put that cable on. It powers my GPS and all things USB! Highly recommended. (at least, if you don't forget and leave the GPS plugged in!) It will also power the electric air pump I have stowed on the bike for that first flat tire.

Thanks for advising me on charge time. I'll try it again tomorrow morning.

Do you have a thread going that describes your recovery? Bike repair?

You're probably looking at about minimum 12-16hrs..... but hopefully you were not fully drained.... let us know how it goes

It's 21:30 hrs here in california. (9:30 PM)
If the Jr.'s light is solid green, it's 100%. (Flashing Green is 80-99%, and solid Red is 0-79% and busy charging).

I'll check it in 8 hours after I sleep soundly knowing that my battery charger won't catch on fire this time!

Question: Does the NC700X charge it's own battery when the engine is running?

I go to doctor tomorrow afternoon. Don't really care what they say, I'm going to North Carolina in August for the Horizon Unlimited rally. Might have to configure some kind of device to hold the arm, but I will figure it out!

I go to doctor tomorrow afternoon.
Assume if you're going to the doctor tomorrow (and judging by your activity on this forum) you've arrived safely at home. Let's see, left Fairbanks roughly mid-day on the 5th and seems like you got home no later than earlier today (only the 11th), so you must have put pedal to the metal in that Chevy. Pretty good considering a bum wing.

YES !!!!
:cool:

Similar to your car... and if it did not charge while riding, you wouldn't get very far.... and you'd be plugging it in ever night...lol

OK...great...that means that if it's 80% in the morning, I can start it, ride it, and it will continue to charge!
That's good news to me.

(sorry that I don't understand more about engines.)

I have my car and my Bonneville on Battery Tenders when not in use. My Bonnie has the original battery since 2007. My car has it's battery since 2004. I had an extra quick disconnect pig tail that I put on Sofia's NC700X and getting her in the habit of hooking up the Battery Tender as soon as it's in the garage.

OK...great...that means that if it's 80% in the morning, I can start it, ride it, and it will continue to charge!
That's good news to me.

(sorry that I don't understand more about engines.)

You might just be in luck. The Junior is supposed to give 0.75 amps of charge - the battery is 11 AH if I remember well. That means from totally discharged it would take something like 15 hours to recharge at 0.75A (longer in practice as chargers seldom maintain constant output). Using a socket wired direct to the battery like you're doing is best limited to occasional use like your tyre pump, which would probably overload the standard Honda (1 amp maximum fuse) anyway.

Unfortunately batteries don't like being fully discharged and it can damage them - fingers crossed all you need is a recharge.

It's a good idea to wire accessories to a circuit that is controlled by the ignition switch - like via the Honda accessory harness and relay. That way it doesn't matter if you forget to unplug them as power is cut when you switch off the ignition.

Hope everything's ok when you start up this morning

As said you might want to upgrade to the battery tender not the Jr.i use mine in the winter.just plug it into bike and leave it on for months if you have to,they keep it at full charge and don't hurt the battery,that's what they are made for.

Yuasa recommends charging a battery at a maximum rate of 1/10 the amp/hour rating of the battery. The NC has a 12 amp/hour battery, therefore you would not want to charge it with a current more than 1.2 amps. The Battery Tender Jr. is a 0.75 amp charger, so yes, it is a bit slow and small, but it is appropriate for motorcycle batteries. A 2 amp charger is technically too much for the NC. It's better to charge a battery slowly than too fast.

Greg

Update:

Eight hours later, and the Battery Tender Jr. Charger light is still solid red -- which may mean it's still charging and below 80%

Just for fun, I turned the charger off, put the key in, and turned the key to "ON".

Nothing!

No sign of life at all. The LED Display does not power up, and there is simply no sign at all that my NC has any power at all.

Anyone care to help diagnose? Fuse? Are there fuses on the NC? Where are they, and can they be blown? replaced?

We leave for a week's vacation tomorrow morning, and I was hoping to take the NC with us.... maybe not?
sigh...

shop manual, page 6-5 "electric starter"

1. Fuse Inspection
Check for a blown main fuse 30 A or sub fuse 7.5 A (Engine stop)

OK... so we've established, there are fuses... next question...
where are they?
How can you tell if one is blown?
how do you replace it?

The fuses are next to the battery. The procedure for checking fuses is explained in the owners' manual - look up fuses in the index.

You can tell a fuse is blown because the bright metal part is burnt out, there are spare fuses in the fuse box lid. There's a fuse puller (little plastic thing with sprung forks) in the tool kit. There's a separate main fuse in the same area - never accessed it myself only seen the drawing in the manual.

I hope it's just a fuse - but if your battery's still dead it could be that flattening the battery killed it. I suggest you put a voltage meter across the poles of the battery and see what sort of voltage it's giving. Overnight charge at 0.75 A won't have fully charged but should at least have gotten you above 60 or 70%

Last edited:
Responded in the blown fuse thread. Sounds like the battery, though. You can jump it, take it for a ride (30min or so) to charge the battery. Let it cool off and then check it tonight to make sure it starts.

Pick up a new battery and just replace the one you killed. If you can revive it later, great....you'll have a spare. If not, well then it had to be replaced anyway.

Get yourself an Optimate battery tender. It runs diagnostic tests, charges accordingly, can't be hooked up backwards, and if you remove the battery from the bike it can sometimes revive a battery that a less sophisticated tender can't.

Back