• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire defect?! Help.

cdnuser

Reaction score
Visit site
I always take a quick look after and before rides, today i found this on the rear tire.
image.jpg

It is in the groove and is brittle rubber. No nail buried in it?

What are you showing? I can only see what looks like a yellowish/white chalk mark and a silvery blemish in the tread groove.
Which is it you are referring to?

If you mean a little thin piece of rubber in the tread, that is just flashing from the mold. Completely harmless, just like the little "hairs" that stick out all over the tire when new

I always take a quick look after and before rides, today i found this on the rear tire.
View attachment 6240

It is in the groove and is brittle rubber. No nail buried in it?

Did you buy your bike new or used?

Is it possible the tire was repaired with a plug at some point before you took possession?

Can you take something and run through that groove, to see if it's something as simple as a bit of road tar and will scrape out of the tread?

It's kinda tough for me to really see what it might be, based off the picture, sorry.

Sorry the photo is terrible. I made the little yellow mark to highlight the gray circle which in person looks like a nail puncture. The rubber in the circle is very brittle and can easily be removed. Its not the rubber tags from the manufacturing process.

image.jpg

To add: the bike has 17000kms on it and these are the 2nd set of tires.

Last edited:
Take it to your dealership and have them look at the tire. If it is covered by warranty they will replace it. If nothing else you will know what it is!

Sorry the photo is terrible. I made the little yellow mark to highlight the gray circle which in person looks like a nail puncture. The rubber in the circle is very brittle and can easily be removed. Its not the rubber tags from the manufacturing process.

View attachment 6242

To add: the bike has 17000kms on it and these are the 2nd set of tires.

Apologies, I should have phrased my questions better.

Did you buy that tire and have it installed on your bike, or is it from a previous owner's install? IE: Could it have been repaired without your knowledge? I was trying to eliminate if it was a string plug repair or not.

If the "brittle rubber" comes out/off very easily, then scrape it fairly hard with a key or something and remove it all if you can, get down below it to virgin rubber. You should easily be able to tell if there's a repair, a nail, a puncture, or it's just a glob of some goo stuck in your tread.

It might very well be just a wee sharp pebble with tar or bitumen stuck to it.

Apologies, I should have phrased my questions better.

Did you buy that tire and have it installed on your bike, or is it from a previous owner's install? IE: Could it have been repaired without your knowledge? I was trying to eliminate if it was a string plug repair or not.

If the "brittle rubber" comes out/off very easily, then scrape it fairly hard with a key or something and remove it all if you can, get down below it to virgin rubber. You should easily be able to tell if there's a repair, a nail, a puncture, or it's just a glob of some goo stuck in your tread.

It might very well be just a wee sharp pebble with tar or bitumen stuck to it.

The bike was a corporate demo owned and maintained by honda canada. I dug out the bad rubber and could see a hole caused by a small short nail. I must have run over something sharp that didn't stay in. The rubber around the hole was disturbed by the object going in and out. Could have been a roofing nail (i live in a construction area). I have a tire warranty when i bought the bike, it covers punctures.

image.jpg

Back