• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front wheel removal

While you're at the tool store, also get a torque wrench for reinstallation of the wheel if you don't have one. The torque specs are in the owner's manual that came with the bike. Most people who don't use a torque wrench tend to overtighten and damage the fasteners. You would not want to take the risk riding the bike without proper installation of the wheels.

Greg

While you're at the tool store, also get a torque wrench for reinstallation of the wheel if you don't have one. The torque specs are in the owner's manual that came with the bike. Most people who don't use a torque wrench tend to overtighten and damage the fasteners. You would not want to take the risk riding the bike without proper installation of the wheels.

Greg

Definitely important also. Overtorque the front axle and you might push the spacer too hard into the wheel bearings and accelerate wear. Also with regards to the pinch bolt, I don't know what the torque spec is, but on the Daytona 675 the manufacturer recommended a torque of 20-25 Nm (can't recall off the top of my head). I found it to be too much and I among as a few others actually stripped the threads on the forks. I had to get my forks retapped. Another time it was held on too tight due to galvanic corrosion. In the end I had to retap again and ran a torque spec of 15Nm.

I recommend putting some anti-seize on the thread of the pinch bolt. When I did this on my Daytona 675 I never had the problems described.

If someone can tell me the size of the pinch bolt (length, width, and thread pitch), the type of metal the bolt is, and the service manual's recommended torque spec, I can let you know my thoughts on what the torque spec should be.

Also, is the front axle hollow? If it is, you can run an axle slider and you will not have to worry about the pinch bolt.

I picked up a 17mm wrench today at my local Napa auto store for $8.50. I was quite surprised to find one anywhere, but I got one only a half mile from my front door!
Thanks everyone for your help!

If you want this tool in a small compact size for your tool kit, take a 17mm hex head bolt, it will fit the axle. cut off the bolt to a nice 1 inch length or so and file a couple sides of the bolt shaft so that a wrench you carry in your tool kit will fit.

Art

Back