• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Luggage and ignition - can you set up for one key?

Johnny D

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I ordered the complete Honda OEM luggage and brackets. It will be a while before I get it all ... I went with the cheapest places I could find.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC had the best pricing on almost everything once I used my 10% off coupon code from last purchase. But they were high on the Saddlebags. After a while on the phone they decided to refuse to do a price match, even though their website guarantees that they will. They wanted $581.95 (before 10% discount). Others had them for $469.95.

So I ordered everything from them except the Saddlebags. 2 of 4 items were not in stock, so I am not expecting to get everything sooner than a couple of weeks.

The Saddlebags I found on ebay for $429.88. It is a Honda dealer in Michigan so I hope the transaction goes well. Shipping was free on everything. Total cost for everything $1059.29, or $340.46 below retail ($1399.75)

So now my question is about keys. I searched other threads a bit and didn't find anything definitive. Can the Saddlebags and Top case be set up to use the Honda ignition key? How would I go about doing that?

Last edited:
Johnny,

You did real good on your purchase. I paid a little over $1,100 for the entire set but that included the saddlebag trim panels.

The Saddlebags do come ready to be keyed(do-it-yourself) however the top box is a unique key. Sure is a head-scratcher that Honda would make the side cases work but not the top box. I supposed a locksmith could possibly do something about it???

Honda now lists an accessory lock cylinder in the newest accessories catalog that _may_ be able to fit the top case that would allow it to be keyed to the ignition and saddlebags. Short of that (or swiping a lock cylinder from a saddlebag or something), the top case WILL NOT be able to be keyed to the ignition. They keys are very significantly different.

(I have all the Honda luggage, and have been around a few times with both the dealer and American Honda on this question)

Honda now lists an accessory lock cylinder in the newest accessories catalog that _may_ be able to fit the top case that would allow it to be keyed to the ignition and saddlebags. Short of that (or swiping a lock cylinder from a saddlebag or something), the top case WILL NOT be able to be keyed to the ignition. They keys are very significantly different.

(I have all the Honda luggage, and have been around a few times with both the dealer and American Honda on this question)

Whatever were they thinking? At least they got it right with the saddlebags.

Honda now lists an accessory lock cylinder in the newest accessories catalog ...

Is this catalog online? I have done some googling and found that Honda does sell cylinder kits for other boxes ...

onekey.jpg

Looks something like this ...

4955419645_242f8ba911_z.jpg

Probably need part number specific to this case to order.

The catalog I've seen is a hard-copy at my dealer. It also lists things like a backrest pad for the top case. No prices for the lock cylinder or backrest yet, and no availability yet (last I checked with them was a couple weeks ago).

Honda makes _lots_ of things available for this bike in markets other than the USA (I'm kinda fuzzy on what's available in Canada). There's gotta be something in their worldwide inventory that would work. I'll try to put a pic up of the difference in the keys later today, and maybe a shot of the interior of the top case where the lock cylinder is, in order to demonstrate available space.

I have a single key for ignition and top box. Original Honda key kit. I dunno the part number. This is just to affirm it is available.

There's gotta be something in their worldwide inventory that would work.

I'm wondering if the same cylinders being used for the side case would fit in the top box. If I cant find the info online I guess I'll have to try after I get the boxes.

I have a single key for ignition and top box. Original Honda key kit. I dunno the part number. This is just to affirm it is available.

I believe you've said you have the smaller of the two available (in Europe, but not in the USA) Honda top cases, isn't that right, happy?

Here are a couple of photos I took. I'm no locksmith, so I would suppose you could build/use a lock cylinder that didn't make use, nor even permit insertion, of all the 'bumps' of a given key. I've just taken these to highlight the difference between the Honda USA top case key and the ignition/saddlebags key, and also to show that there doesn't _appear_ to be enough room in the American-market top case to utilize a lock cylinder the length of the ignition/saddlebag key. HOPEFULLY THIS IS EITHER NOT CORRECT OR THE ACCESSORY CYLINDER WILL ADDRESS THE DIFFERENCES ADEQUATELY.

IMG_00000006_2.jpg
IMG_00000005_2.jpg

Here are a couple of photos I took.

Thanks for the pics. It looks like the depth of the smaller key when inserted is close to the depth of the actual cut area on the larger key. I'll call my Honda dealer next week and see if they can locate part numbers / parts to do it.

Well today 3 of the 5 items I ordered showed up. I am still waiting on two items backordered from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

I am very happy with my e-bay purchase of the saddlebags. They came in a sealed box with the Honda stickers still on it. I checked them out and everything looks fine. Not refurbish or used. I don't know how this seller can sell them so much cheaper than everyone else. Prices on other items are similar.

In case anyone else is looking for saddlebags, check out this e-bay seller. $430 with free shipping. Anybody else ever find a better deal?

I got these today:

Rear Carrier
Saddlebag Mounting Brackets
Saddlebag Set, 29 Liters

08L72-MGS-A30
08L74-MGS-A30
08L76-MGS-A50

Still waiting on these:

Saddlebag Support Bracket
Rear Trunk, 45 Liters

08L73-MGS-A30
08L55-EWL-100E

Too bad that I cant install any of the boxes until I get the final two parts :(

Last edited:
Well today 3 of the 5 items I ordered showed up. I am still waiting on two items backordered from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

I am very happy with my e-bay purchase of the saddlebags. They came in a sealed box with the Honda stickers still on it. I checked them out and everything looks fine. Not refurbish or used. I don't know how this seller can sell them so much cheaper than everyone else. Prices on other items are similar.

In case anyone else is looking for saddlebags, check out this e-bay seller. $430 with free shipping. Anybody else ever find a better deal?I got these today:

Rear Carrier
Saddlebag Mounting Brackets
Saddlebag Set, 29 Liters

08L72-MGS-A30
08L74-MGS-A30
08L76-MGS-A50

Still waiting on these:

Saddlebag Support Bracket
Rear Trunk, 45 Liters

08L73-MGS-A30
08L55-EWL-100E

Too bad that I cant install any of the boxes until I get the final two parts :(

Procaliber.com $421.76 with discount code and free shipping.

Procaliber.com $421.76 with discount code and free shipping.

Not bad. I just checked it, they are $433.96. Your code must be for 5%.

I'll have to keep this one in mind for future purchases. I'm still mad at Rocky Mountain for not price matching on these :cool:

Yes, 5% with code spring2013. You got a good deal as well!

Thanks for the hookup on the site and code. I've been shopping around and so far found the best deal for the bags along with heated grips and accessory socket to be from shspowersports.com, but your coupon code puts procaliber as the low price winner by a whopping $8! Enough for one latte at Starbucks! ;) It would have been much lower, but they charge me my local sales tax rate which comes out to $84.46 for the whole order.

Thanks for the hookup on the site and code. I've been shopping around and so far found the best deal for the bags along with heated grips and accessory socket to be from shspowersports.com, but your coupon code puts procaliber as the low price winner by a whopping $8! Enough for one latte at Starbucks! ;) It would have been much lower, but they charge me my local sales tax rate which comes out to $84.46 for the whole order.

So, at times, it does suck to live in Wa! lol

Back