• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Whirring when I turn the key on...

DanH

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I turn the key on, there is a whirring sound for about 5 seconds, an electric motor of some sort, going from rest to ready. Does anyone know what that is? I'm not concerned, just curious.

That makes sense. That sound is one of the little things I love about the bike actually. :cool:

That makes sense. That sound is one of the little things I love about the bike actually. :cool:

I dig it too...it's almost as good as the sound of the motor firing up :))), but it's not unique to this bike. Every fuel injected bike I've had, has had this "primer".

So if your battery is really dead and the fuel pump does not pump , you can not push bump start it like the old days.

As a year-round bike commuter, that is a trade-off I am willing to make for being freed from standing out in sub-freezing weather at three a.m. farting around with a choke knob.

So if your battery is really dead and the fuel pump does not pump , you can not push bump start it like the old days.

I can't speak (yet, lol *knock on wood*) for the NCX, but I could:

-bump start my efi Suzuki with a totally dead battery.

-bump start my efi CX500Turbo with a totally dead battery.

-bump start my efi CBR125R with a totally dead battery.

So, personally I think one could successfully do it with a manual trans NCX, too. I don't see why not, but will refrain from saying you can, with any authority.

I can't speak (yet, lol *knock on wood*) for the NCX, but I could:

-bump start my efi Suzuki with a totally dead battery.

-bump start my efi CX500Turbo with a totally dead battery.

-bump start my efi CBR125R with a totally dead battery.

So, personally I think one could successfully do it with a manual trans NCX, too. I don't see why not, but will refrain from saying you can, with any authority.

Would sure like to know how pressure is obtained for fuel injector or if perhaps if some pressure is retained in system when key is off? Also where signal power comes from to fire injector?

Would sure like to know how pressure is obtained for fuel injector or if perhaps if some pressure is retained in system when key is off? Also where signal power comes from to fire injector?

I would guess, big guess, more of a hope really, that pressure does remain in the system when the pump is unpowered but that you'd only get one good chance, two tops, to bump start it if it didn't start. As for power, you get that as soon as the wheels start turning the engine, just like the good ol' days.

I tried to put in gear once with sidestand down.engine stopped because of the safety thing but i don't remember the pump restarting when i restarted.i would have to try again to make sure but i would think there would be some pressure left.but not much.

I tried to put in gear once with sidestand down.engine stopped because of the safety thing but i don't remember the pump restarting when i restarted.i would have to try again to make sure but i would think there would be some pressure left.but not much.

If you didn't turn the key off and back on the fuel pump wouldn't 'prime' again

Back