• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My Cape Hatteras adventure.

miss demeaner

Reaction score
Visit site
so my trip to cape hatteras started by leaving my apt at 0500 for my ferry reservation at 0700.
just had to stop for a photo op here.

IMG_4579 by divadementia01, on Flickr

lots of cranes around here.

IMG_4581 by divadementia01, on Flickr

arrive at the ferry, got my own lane, all to myself. lol

IMG_4588 by divadementia01, on Flickr

waiting to board the ferry.

IMG_4598 by divadementia01, on Flickr

this was her spot for the 2.5 hour ferry ride to ocracoke island.

IMG_4612 by divadementia01, on Flickr

my spot was inside napping on one of the padded benches.

one of the sites along the way. oooops.

IMG_4659 by divadementia01, on Flickr

a lighthouse. i just knew i was going to find this one, and maybe climb up it.

IMG_4671 by divadementia01, on Flickr

nice view pulling into ocracoke.

IMG_4695 by divadementia01, on Flickr

so, i debark the ferry, and follow the signs to get into town and towards that light house i saw on the way in.
as i'm riding along i'm thinking, ok, need to stop and check out this cool little place on the way back.
as i reach the end of the island i see the line for another ferry. (no lighthouse) hmmm.
so, onto the next ferry, this one was not as friendly as the 1st one. i was parked under/in a breezeway type area, but we had to park straight, so we had to stay with our bikes for the ride. the departure and arrival were a tad bumpy. the ferry workers made sure to point out to the bikes that we were to stay with our bikes at these times as they could not be responsible for any damage. i thought this was just to be a short 30min ride to cape hatteras, but apparently a storm came thru a couple of yrs ago and "moved" the channel, so it was over an hour ride, standing by my bike the whole time.

sorry, no pics from that ride.

so, off the ferry on hatteras, woohoo. i'm going to find that white lighthouse.
so off i go following my gps and signs to the light house.
the cape hatteras light house is not a functioning light house. it was also moved from its' original location to where it is now. you can climb the light house for a mere $8. (i didn't).
the cape hatteras light house.

IMG_4749 by divadementia01, on Flickr
'

IMG_4752 by divadementia01, on Flickr

IMG_4761 by divadementia01, on Flickr

IMG_4762 by divadementia01, on Flickr

look up, look waaaaayyyyy up.

IMG_4767 by divadementia01, on Flickr

IMG_4764 by divadementia01, on Flickr

IMG_4768 by divadementia01, on Flickr

time to head back.

IMG_4772 by divadementia01, on Flickr

met some fellow adventurers on the way back.

IMG_4782 by divadementia01, on Flickr

IMG_4783 by divadementia01, on Flickr
2 couples on cruisers taking a rolling vaction for 3 weeks, and a guy from montreal doing a hardcore 6 week rolling vacation. he bought a klr just for the trip, and was planning on making his way out to seattle before heading back home.

pelican out for a cruise too.

IMG_4698 by divadementia01, on Flickr

IMG_4737 by divadementia01, on Flickr

it was a fun day, though next time i will plan maybe an overnight trip to really have the time to enjoy it all. approx 7hours of ferry rides. thankfully the long one i was able to stay inside in the ac and get a nap.

What a great way to spend the day!!!

it really was. i'd like to have spent more time though. i was on a bit of a timeline, i had a meeting that evening, so i didn't stop to "smell ALL the roses".
i will be doing this trip again, and prob plan on spending the night on ocracoke.

chestnut, i felt bad for the sailboat too. i got more pics of it, but from the looks of it, it's been there for a bit.
gotta sux to beach that much money. lol

So how were the temps riding in July along the beach? I know the weather has been a bit cooler than normal this month. Very nice pics! I think I would like to do this ride in the fall or spring as I don't care much for high heat and traffic, but your pics sure make this look like a nice ride!

smileywinktumbup.jpg

it was hot. speeds were not all that to be able to keep very cool, and i am ATGATT. it was a really fun day and ride, though it was about 7hours of ferry rides from my apt to hatteras and back.
i would love to do it again when the weather cools down, i'm betting the colours will be incredible.

it was hot. speeds were not all that to be able to keep very cool, and i am ATGATT. it was a really fun day and ride, though it was about 7hours of ferry rides from my apt to hatteras and back.
i would love to do it again when the weather cools down, i'm betting the colours will be incredible.

I normally do mountain rides in the heat of the summer and when I do beach rides it's spring or fall. I'm not a big fan of sand, traffic and heat, but there are some awesome coastal sites to see and what better to see them on then the NCX? If your in Georgia your not too far from the mountains.

Another ride I like to do is to go to Williamsburg VA via the ferry at Surry. For me it's about 440 miles round trip which is a nice lunch ride as long as you leave by 7 or 8 am and don't stop much. Going via the ferry route has you riding back roads pretty much the whole way and you get to see great country roads and views.

Happy motorclist.jpg

i normally ride the mtns too, but i travel for work and i'm currently working in morehead city. it's great to be able to see diff places, and ride new roads. i'm a working tourist. :)

Great pics...thanks for sharing. My husband and I live in the Sandhills of NC and love to ride.
We have traveled to the beach on many occasions and mountains, as well.
The Outter Banks are on our Bucket List. We just haven't made it........yet!

But, we WILL. :cool:

Nice ride. Stayed at Blackbeard's on Ocracoke a couple of years ago, pretty cool place where BB once lived, IIRC.

Back