• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The Oil filter for NC700X, it's funny, how many other bikes it fits

W

westgl

I went in to the honda dealer today, to pick up a Oil filter for both my NC700X and my 99' GL1500SE Goldwing, expecting to have to wait for a least a week for the NC700x filter, for them to get one in stock,

to my surprise it is the Same Part number as my Goldwing

also same oil filter part number for a Honda ST1300.

Good Going Honda,

again, another thing I like about this design, Honda will always have a filter in stock for our bike, and there are a lot of after market out there WIX/Napa

EXCELLENT~!!!!!!!!!

Best and easiest filter that works with Hondas is a Honda Civic car filter.

It's a common practice among many Honda bikers. From the Goldwing, CBR and Shadow they all use the same size filter. The car one is just a tiny bit longer, I use it just fine. It doesn't rub and can still be installed and removed without removing the lower fairing. Also with it being longer you get more filter media so it won't clog as fast and won't restrict the oil flow as much. Bypass pressure and antidrain back valves seem exactly the same when I opened up the bike filter vs the car.

wow! Honda has really taken some cost cutting measures

cheaper to buy a 1 million of of thing, than 100k of 10 different things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best and easiest filter that works with Hondas is a Honda Civic car filter.

It's a common practice among many Honda bikers. From the Goldwing, CBR and Shadow they all use the same size filter. The car one is just a tiny bit longer, I use it just fine. It doesn't rub and can still be installed and removed without removing the lower fairing. Also with it being longer you get more filter media so it won't clog as fast and won't restrict the oil flow as much. Bypass pressure and antidrain back valves seem exactly the same when I opened up the bike filter vs the car.

Nope, they all use the same now except the Honda s2000

Are we sure that the CAR and BIKE oilfilters are exactly the same?
A few years ago, I was warned that they are NOT the same inside.
:p

Are we sure that the CAR and BIKE oilfilters are exactly the same?
A few years ago, I was warned that they are NOT the same inside.
:p

Spin on filter flow pretty much the same way. What you are referring, and warned about is the bypass relief pressure settings. And maybe, if they are getting really technical the pressure difference acros the filtering media.

Hondas, at least, are very close to each other. I'm not near my computer to dig up the research I have. But a flip though some of the oil filter threads on Bobistheoilguy.com should help you form your own conclusion.

I run the Bosch, D+ civic filter on my NC, was much cheaper than the "motorcycle specific" reference filter.

I have yet to find an aftermarket transmission filter. That tiny thing is 6.50 USD with discount at my local dealer.

Although if I wanted to spend 4 times more, I could have gotten a chromed filter!

Last edited:
I took both the motorcycle and car filters apart OEM to OEM. I measured the diameter of the pressure relief hole and measured the spring tension. They're identical.

In fact you'll see more difference when going to different brands for example the K&N's for Honda Civics I've seen had significantly more spring tension. This means the K&N will not bypass early enough this can either reduce oil pressure on a clogged oil filter in the cold or collapse the filter element.

So people that concerned with the differences are entirely missing the point that even among the different brands of filters you will have differences that don't really affect the function of the filter significantly. And yet they readily will poo-poo using the car oil filter on their bike for fear of mysterious differences between the car OEM and the bike OEM but will happily put on a K&N oil filter on their car, which is confirmed to have a measurable difference in bypass pressure. To me that makes no sense whatsoever. The only difference between the car and bike oil filter is the bike is shorter and has less media, the other specifications are the same.

From Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference these filters all fit the NC700:

Recommended filters. All have superior filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12. Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6. Made by Champion.
Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607 Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10. Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6. Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317, about $2. Made by Champion.

Regretably, the Supertech filters are no longer available so I'm now running the Bosch 3323 in almost all my vehicles. That filter fits my Yamaha FJR1300, my wife's Acura TL and also the Honda NC700. How convenient! :cool:

Happy you are correct !

You can use a motorcycle filter on a car, but never a car filter on a motorcycle.

The percentage of filter retention is how a Yamaha engineer explained it to me. Motorcycle filters stop more stuff from passing though than a auto filter does. Does not matter the brand, just that you use a built for motorcycle filter.

Happy you are correct !

You can use a motorcycle filter on a car, but never a car filter on a motorcycle.

The percentage of filter retention is how a Yamaha engineer explained it to me. Motorcycle filters stop more stuff from passing though than a auto filter does. Does not matter the brand, just that you use a built for motorcycle filter.

I think that Yamaha engineer was likely a sales "engineer". To rightly proclaim that all motorcycle filters filter to a finer degree than cars is idiotic when they use the same filter media as car filters. And if they did filter to a finer degree than car filters and also tend to be on the smaller side you'd end up with more filter restriction by running a motorcycle filter on a car which would either reduce pressure and flow to the point of activating the bypass and letting all the unfiltered oil through or collapse the filter. Basic engineering says the generally weaker lower flow oil systems of motorcycles necessitate more free flowing filters to prevent oil starvation. So if you want a more free flowing filter you can either have poorer filtration using coarser media or more filter media necessitating a larger filter. Putting finer filtering media in a smaller filter size is a recipe for disaster. One other thing is a smaller finer filtering filter it would also clog faster, if it clogged faster Honda wouldn't spec one of the longest oil change intervals I've ever seen on a motorcycle. That should at least cast some doubt on the motorcycle filter filtering finer.

Also not all motorcycle brands are built to the same spec. Harley Davidsons bypass at really low pressures of only 8 psi or so vs Honda's 12-14 both car and bike. That in conjunction with Harley owners propensity to run the thickest straight weight oils they can find because of their "thicker is better mentality" would have to mean they don't filter as finely as other oil filters do or they'd be bypassing all the time. That's a recipe for extremely fast engine wear, yet a well maintained Harley with generally poorer filtration lasts quite a while. They claim 5 and 10 micron filtration for the OEM but the K&N oil filter is 15-20 micron, surprise, exactly the same as K&N's car filter and K&N's are popular with Harley owners because they know it actually filters better, yet rated with higher micron ratings than the OEM. So the OEM is a bogus rating if a 20 micron filter filters better and is identical to their car filter's micron rating. The gist is Harley oil filters actually filter poorer than a car oil filter. That pokes a hole in that Yamaha "engineer's" claim that motorcycle filters filter finer.

In reality an OEM like Honda which really likes to use common parts among their car lineup, it would make sense to try to use as much parts in common when making their own OEM equipment including maintenance items. It's why the Accord I4 and V6, Oddysey, Civic, Civic Si, and Fit all use the same oil filter. Considering the motorcycle uses one with the exact same size inlet size and same bypass pressure. It's reasonably safe to assume the media inside is exactly the same. Especially since using car filters on Honda bikes is common practice among Goldwing, Valkylrie, CBR and Shadow owners and they've yet to encounter oil related failures from doing so. If they did let through more wear materials you should have seen Honda motorcycles wear out pretty early. Yet I've seen numerous CBR F4i's with 50,000 or sometimes rarely 100,000 miles on the odometer, and those high mileage bikes I've seen almost always use car filters because high mileage riders care about spending less on special "motorcycle" filters especially when the oil change interval is as short as on an F4i. Honda states 8000 like on our NC's but in practice the shift feel goes at about 3,000 to 4,000 which is what many of the high mileage owners also happen to change their oil at. Needing to change oil that often means you care about how much that filter costs.

Oh and also one more thing. I used to own a CBR600RR, the same exact filter on it also is cross referenced for a Nissan 370Z. There's no way it filters finer than a 370Z when they use the EXACT same part. So instead I just used the larger Civic filter since it's cheaper and more readily available.

Last edited:
did you ever ask your self why it so important to some people to have other people use the same products they use. had a friend that had an 1800 wing that would get beside him self when friends would buy a new bike and not buy a wing. he just couldn't see why they would not buy the very best touring bike on earth. use what ever oil filter you want. they all work good enough. my first honda didn't even have a filter and I rode every day for years. it was never even an issue. I had a sears lawn mower that I ran the first year and changed the oil to mobile 1 and ran it for 23 years. I have a new Honda that I did the same thing to 5 years ago. check and go. no oil filters. no plugs. no carb rebuilds. air filters and gas were the only things ever used.

From Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference these filters all fit the NC700:

Recommended filters. All have superior filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12. Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6. Made by Champion.
Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607 Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10. Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6. Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317, about $2. Made by Champion.

[h=3]Champion
Ölfilter COF104/F308 Honda/Kawasaki/Triumph/Yamaha[/h]Is this ok too?
It is about US$10. (yes that much here).

yeah,but it's ends right there,on this oil filter. as i said in some other thread-i wish that they are bright enough to use same logic for an aftermarket parts and accessories.. but for whatever reason they choose not to. $90 wind deflector,a for a stamped piece of plastic that cost probably 50 cents to produce. thank you but no thank you.

did you ever ask your self why it so important to some people to have other people use the same products they use.

Often ask myself this. Answer - small self image so they want their ego stroked. A friend of mine tries constantly into buying a Valkrie. I would NEVER buy one of those friggin behemouths, just not my stlye, but since he has one he thinks I should too.

People and their ego's......crazy.

Back