• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Quickie camping trip

Chestnut

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tomorrow the hubby and I are heading up to Angeles National Forest for some camping and hiking. Planning to ride the Angeles Crest Highway west to east and bounce around the mountains a bit. Supposed to be over 100 degrees all weekend, so this could be...interesting. Will post pictures as I can.

X2 with the Good luck! Hope you two take plenty of fluids/water to stay hydrated. You're gonna need quite a bit between the two of you in these temps. Hope you two have a fun trip!

Don't wait to hydrate till you get hot and thirsty.
Pre-hydrating before the ride starts will really help.
Splashing garments with water will create a lot of evaporative cooling.
Have a good ride.

Really good ride yesterday. From San Diego ish up the 15 and into the mountains north of Pasadena. Rode Mt Baldy and Glendora Ridge Rd. Baldy was switchbacked, but G.R.R. was all sweepers. And very little traffic on either. Camped in San Gabriel Canyon, up another fun road. Made it across my first water crossing (it was small, but it counts), then went back for some pictures on foot and almost ate it. Rode hwy 2 from west to east in the late afternoon, got to Wrightwood a little before dark. I could have a lot of fun with that road if I got to know it a little better. Started dodging rocks as we got farther east, had to drop our speed a bit, but nothing too crazy.
I promise there actually are pictures, I will post them after we've broken camp and gotten back.

Let's see...where did I leave off...
Yes, the 2. Finished up as the sun was going down and headed back to camp, north of Azusa off the 39. It seems I've been up the 39 before, since all the reservoirs looked very familiar, but I can't think of when. Maybe it was open all the way up to Hwy 2 when I went up at some point...I will ponder this mystery. Anyway, the 39 follows a river for some 20-30 miles, and there are several dams along it. They'd look pretty impressive if they were actually holding water back. Still not a bad view.NIK_0449.jpg
Home for the night was the Coldbrook Campground
NIK_0431.jpg
home to a water crossing
NIK_0490.jpg
and a slightly disturbing notice.
NIK_0432.jpg
I'm not sure why the Forest Service would put a campground in an area they recommend against recreating in, but nobody ever accused the government of making sense.
I am convinced that the thing you need the most in order to get a good night's sleep in a campground is: to have ridden about 400 miles that day. The drunken bonfire types woke me up a couple of times, but mostly I slept through everything. I even slept through the sun coming up, all the way until almost 7 o'clock (which is when I was planning to be at the trailhead. This morning I was worried about running into Johnny Speed Racer going down the hill, but instead we got stuck behind a teenage Granny Flatlander. I have never wanted to pass on a double yellow so badly. 15 miles and at least a dozen turnouts later she pulls over as we get into town. Not a good way to start the day. We hiked the Fish Canyon Falls trail, though we didn't expect there to be any falling water. There is a quarry separating the road from the waterfall, and the owners offer access a few times a year. I went up there a few years ago to hike it and heavy rains closed the trailhead. This year I've woefully neglected my waterfall hunting habit in favor of my motorcycle, and found myself looking up the access dates just in time for the last one. It was a nice hike, and there was a waterfall, just not the big one, and not much water. If I'm still in California next year I will endeavor to make it back up there in time to catch the snowmelt. After our hike it was time for lunch, camp-breaking, and to head home.
Here are a couple shots from last night's cruise.
NIK_0446.jpg
I know I've driven past this tower before, but apparently it was dark. Castle? Outside Los Angeles? No way.
NIK_0438.jpg
Chupa with a view. I'd love to be up there after a good rain when the air was clear. (My husband asked, "Is that smoke, or a cloud?" "No honey, that's L.A.")
NIK_0436.jpg
Crossing the PCT. (The hubby is not nearly as excited about this as I am)

These pics play an important role in your trip and those pics tell us that how much good your trip all the arrangement looking splendid about the trip but this house is historical or other?

Back