• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Overfilled Oil... HELP?!

myorangecrayon

Reaction score
Visit site
So I picked up my NC700X around March 20th from the dealership... did the break in and the 600 mile service at the dealership where I bought it. At the time the tech asked me if I had had to fill the oil at all, which I thought was odd since it was a brand new bike. I hadn't even checked the oil at that point.

So today I was washing it (current mileage ~3,700) and decided to check the oil. I had checked it around 2,000 miles and it looked fine, the oil was reaching to the part of the stick where it goes from flat to round (so past the marker at the bottom, past the marker in middle, all the way to the top where the stick changes shape). At this point, I'm sure you're thinking "well, it's overfilled." Like a dummy, I assumed that that was the right amount of fill and left it alone. Upon checking the manual today, I come to see that it's supposed to be between the two markers, so I've been riding my bike for 3,100 miles with a WAY OVERFILLED crankcase. I'm looking for some advice here on what to do... take it to the dealership and raise all kinds of hell? Drain it myself and leave it alone? Get the oil changed somewhere else and hope it didn't break anything? Any other ideas?

FYI... spare me the speech about checking the oil more often, I bought a brand new bike and paid top dollar to get it serviced properly at the dealership. Also, I checked it on level ground, on the center stand, after running it for a few minutes and letting it sit for a few minutes. And I didn't screw the dipstick in. It hasn't been running weird or anything, in fact it hasn't missed a beat in the long trips I've taken. Help!

So I picked up my NC700X around March 20th from the dealership... did the break in and the 600 mile service at the dealership where I bought it. At the time the tech asked me if I had had to fill the oil at all, which I thought was odd since it was a brand new bike. I hadn't even checked the oil at that point.

So today I was washing it (current mileage ~3,700) and decided to check the oil. I had checked it around 2,000 miles and it looked fine, the oil was reaching to the part of the stick where it goes from flat to round (so past the marker at the bottom, past the marker in middle, all the way to the top where the stick changes shape). At this point, I'm sure you're thinking "well, it's overfilled." Like a dummy, I assumed that that was the right amount of fill and left it alone. Upon checking the manual today, I come to see that it's supposed to be between the two markers, so I've been riding my bike for 3,100 miles with a WAY OVERFILLED crankcase. I'm looking for some advice here on what to do... take it to the dealership and raise all kinds of hell? Drain it myself and leave it alone? Get the oil changed somewhere else and hope it didn't break anything? Any other ideas?

FYI... spare me the speech about checking the oil more often, I bought a brand new bike and paid top dollar to get it serviced properly at the dealership. Also, I checked it on level ground, on the center stand, after running it for a few minutes and letting it sit for a few minutes. And I didn't screw the dipstick in. It hasn't been running weird or anything, in fact it hasn't missed a beat in the long trips I've taken. Help!

The simplest thing to do is to:
1) put an oil pan under the drain plug
2) remove the drain plug and let ALL the oil run out
3) replace the drain plug
4) fill the crank case with the proper amount of oil

It doesn't sound like you will need to change the filter since the mechanic already did that.
You might want to take the crush washer (under the drain plug) and turn it over. Some replace the washer every time, others, I've read, never replace it, and some flip it to get two uses out of it.

If you put in new oil, you will rest easier because you will know, without a doubt, exactly how much oil is in there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response... any ideas on what the potential damage from the overfilled crankcase could be? I'd like to make sure that if there is some sort of damage due to it I may hold the dealership accountable.

Your oil level is probably fine. I believe that the correct way to check the oil level is using the side stand. When the bike is on the center stand the oil is shifted forward and it increases the oil level when using the dip stick. I wouldn't do anything until I checked the oil level while not on the center stand.
Also if it was really grossly over filled with oil you would have probably noticed oil being pumped out of many orifices.
Check it before panicking.

I believe that the correct way to check the oil level is using the side stand.

I'm pretty sure the motorcycle is supposed to be on an even surface in an upright position. The only place where I could think that oil would come out of is the crankcase breather, though it's clean. If it was coming out of the seals or the sump we'd have serious problems!

A easy way to get the excess oil out of your NC. Get a clean spray bottle and stick the tube through the dipstick hole and pump the oil into the bottle. If you take more out than you want, you can pour it back in from the bottle.

The bike is checked level, not on the sidestand. You were checking it correctly and it seems to be overfilled. I would drop it to the proper level. I have never tried the spray bottle trick(cool!) but I don't find it hard to screw the drain plug out and hold it against the opening while draining a bit of the fill. It seems you have gotten away with it so far, but there is not any sense in pushing your luck.

You were checking it correctly and it seems to be overfilled

He checked it on level ground while on the center stand. Orangecrayon, take it off the center stand and check it in an upright position on level ground.

Also, I believe the tech was trying to determine if your bike was using oil when he asked you what he did.

Last edited:
As long as there isn't any oil in the breather tube drain, you should be fine. Lots of us have had that issue from the dealerships. Like others have suggested there are a few different ways to go about doing this. Although StratTuner's way is the most wasteful, it is the most accurate if you want complete piece of mind. Or like Turbodiesel suggested use some sort of fluid extractor, I have a MightyVac fluid extractor at home that I would use. Or if you have a smaller hand pump type deal for bleeding brakes, you could use that, or maybe a turkey baster even.

He checked it on level ground while on the center stand.

I am going to check it both ways tomorrow to see how much difference it makes. If it is significant I will make a new mark on my dipstick for checking it on the center stand because it is much more convenient.

Thanks for the feedback everyone... I doubt there'll be much of a difference between the center stand and just holding it upright, but I'll double check. I'll just drain the excess (I like the spray bottle idea!) and I assume there hasn't been damage to the engine yet. Thanks again!

It made a measure able difference when I checked the oil level on my KLR 650 when it was on the center stand.
And when I stated to use the side stand method, I thought that you folks would know to make sure the bike was perpendicular to the ground. The side stand just functions as a safety crutch to keep the bike from falling over when holding the bike up right.
I'll try to give minute and tedious details when I communicate with this detail oriented audience in the future.

I'll try to give minute and tedious details when I communicate with this detail oriented audience in the future.

Haha... I'm sure it wouldn't hurt! Tedious details are my favorite kind. I assumed like a noob that you meant letting it rest on the side stand while checking the oil. I'll check the difference tomorrow, though the oil is so overfilled I'm confident it won't come to spec. Thanks for the input!

When I first took possession of Sylvia from the dealer last October, the tech pointed out that the oil indicator was best used while sitting on it. I have an issue being short of inseam and having a paper towel or something handy to wipe off the pre check oil. It seems to be pretty much the same if it is on the center stand as just trying from the seated position.

I bought a brand new bike and paid top dollar to get it serviced properly at the dealership.

That right there is the meat of the problem. Dealers cannot be trusted no matter how much you pay them. (Sorry for the cynicism, but I must be getting old and probably just been around too long).

I doubt running a half quart over on oil would be a serious problem. Lower the level to spec using tips already provided, and ride on. Don't have the dealer change the oil anymore.

Greg

Last edited:
That right there is the meat of the problem. Dealers cannot be trusted no matter how much you pay them. (Sorry for the cynicism, but I must be getting old and probably just been around too long).

Greg

No Doubt! (not about the cynicism and old stuff) It's better to develop your own skills and have peace of mind.

As long as there isn't any oil in the breather tube drain, you should be fine. Lots of us have had that issue from the dealerships. Like others have suggested there are a few different ways to go about doing this. Although StratTuner's way is the most wasteful, it is the most accurate if you want complete piece of mind. Or like Turbodiesel suggested use some sort of fluid extractor, I have a MightyVac fluid extractor at home that I would use. Or if you have a smaller hand pump type deal for bleeding brakes, you could use that, or maybe a turkey baster even.

I also have a Mityvac that I use once in awhile. I thought I would try the spray bottle (penny tech) when I overfilled my NC and it worked like a charm.
Heres the one I have.
Amazon.com: Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus: Automotive

I don't have a center stand but check the oil while sitting on the bike (upright two feet on the ground).

do regular checks and noticed the last week that the level was dropping. I check the oil in the morning before I ride and let the bike idle for 5 min before the time. Bought oil on Saturday and thought I would top it up on Sunday. Idled the bike for 5 min and checked oil. All was well :confused:

Only difference is I checked the oil not first thing in the morning but midday. Temperature difference seems to play a part as well. In the morning the temp is around 2 degrees C while when I checked it yesterday it was around 18 degrees C.

This worries me as I could have overfilled. So when is the best time to check the oil?

Back