• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Clunk... Clunk.. Clunk, clunk..

Loomis

Reaction score
Visit site
So I noticed this clunk the other day when I accelerate from a stop. Then, last night I noticed it again (I usually ride with music on and hadn't really noticed it was an ongoing thing) but this time, it just wasn't a one time thing. It started slow and as my speed picked up, the so did the tempo of the clunk.

First thing I did was check the chain and it was a little loose. Aligned, tightened and lubed it. Test rode and still there. Next, I pulled the wheel completely off.

I've had lots of spoked dirt bikes, but being my first street bike, the rubber coupling type cushions in the wheel hub were a bit of a surprised to me. They seem very hard and dried out. I cleaned out the worn rubber and gave each one a slight bit of Bel Ray Super Clean chain lube. Put it all back together and so far so good.

Anyone experienced this before? I'm just about to break 20k. Anyone know the replacement intervals for these rubber pieces? Or maybe it wasn't them and I did a better job on chain alignment my 2nd go? Haha

I have stretched and over worn a chain so badly that you hear a clunking grinding horrific sound everytime you take off from a start. I would lean more towards that if it were me. A lube will help for a short time but when the rings are really worn the lube won't last long.

If the chain is at 20K it may be replacement time. Remember that the last loud clunk that a chain makes may very well break the engine case or lock the rear wheel. Not something to take chances with. 20K miles is decent chain life

Chain was replaced per the recall so it doesn't have that many miles on it. I'll have to look at my receipts and see the mileage on the chain. I was surprised it was so stretched. But again, unfamiliar territory.

I ride a lot, like you do. I change my chain every 12,000 miles, and my chain and sprockets every 24,000 miles. No trouble this way. As a somewhat general rule of thumb:0.jpg

Sprocket teeth that are square on the end are good.

Sprocket teeth that are rectangular on end are bad.

Wear does this. However, there are a few exceptions.

SmileyMaybe.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I ride a lot, like you do. I change my chain every 12,000 miles, and my chain and sprockets every 24,000 miles. No trouble this way. As a somewhat general rule of thumb:

Sprocket teeth that are square on the end are good.

Sprocket teeth that are rectangular on end are bad.

Wear does this. However, there are a few exceptions.

It is my understanding the best practice is to change the entire kit, chain and sprockets at the same time. It not done so, the old sprockets will stretch the new chain quickly

It is my understanding the best practice is to change the entire kit, chain and sprockets at the same time. It not done so, the old sprockets will stretch the new chain quickly

All sprockets are not the same quality. They are made from everything from aluminum to unobtainium. There are lifetime sprockets also. A sprocket can be checked for wear and a decision for re-use can be made. It is important to distinguish between stretch and wear. Stretch occurs with new chain until all of the components are pulled to their maximum length after assembly. They can be pre-stretched by the manufacturer or stretched by use. After that, the additional lengthening is not stretch but pin wear. What bad sprockets will do is more quickly damage the rollers.

My NC has only done 2k miles and the chain appears fine. But I can feel the chain/sprocket set up on this bike almost flexing or grinding occasionally while accelerating. It's the kind of noise or vibes you might expect if a sprocket were moving slightly sideways?
I'm wondering if the setup is strong enough to handle the torque? Especially for those like me who use it for fun as well as the occasional commute.
It wouldn't surprise me if they issue future models with a more beefy chain & sprockets.

My NC has only done 2k miles and the chain appears fine. But I can feel the chain/sprocket set up on this bike almost flexing or grinding occasionally while accelerating. It's the kind of noise or vibes you might expect if a sprocket were moving slightly sideways?
I'm wondering if the setup is strong enough to handle the torque? Especially for those like me who use it for fun as well as the occasional commute.
It wouldn't surprise me if they issue future models with a more beefy chain & sprockets.

The 520 chain will handle twice the HP that we have. It sounds like insufficient slack or out of alignment. The chain is very sensitive to alignment. Several people have reported noise and vibration going away after a careful cleaning, adjustment, and alignment.

Mine made noise after the warranty chain replacement because the Honda certified mechanic at the authorized Honda dealer set it with insufficient slack.

Back