• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

condensation on visor

robnpat

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a horrible ride into work this morning due to condensation on my visor. It was a little foggy, and it took no time for my visor to be completely coated in condensation....of course, I forgot about my glasses and soon my glasses were covered. I had to pull over in the nearest town and clean it all of with paper towels.

So my question is, how do you keep your visor condensation-free (if at all possible)?? Would rain-x work?

Thanks,
Rob

Had a horrible ride into work this morning due to condensation on my visor. It was a little foggy, and it took no time for my visor to be completely coated in condensation....of course, I forgot about my glasses and soon my glasses were covered. I had to pull over in the nearest town and clean it all of with paper towels.

So my question is, how do you keep your visor condensation-free (if at all possible)?? Would rain-x work?

Thanks,
Rob

Condensation (water) on the outside of the helmet visor is something you can't do a whole lot about. I have read RainX can damage your visor so I wouldn't recommend it. I have heard people using a potato to coat their windsheilds to make them bead up.... but I haven't tried it. I would think using dish soap would do the same thing. But it sounds like your driving through a very heavy dew or fog and there really isn't a great fix for that on the outside of your visor other than to wipe it off periodically.

Pin lock inserts help fogging on the inside... but I don't think that would do much in this situation.

Start with a pinlock visor. For the glasses you need a good anti-fog product. I wish I could say use "this" but I can't. My prescription is pretty light so on days when I can't keep my glasses clear, I just take them off.

I also need to disagree with netizen. RainX is amazing and perfectly fine on most quality visors.

Thanks, Netizen. Looks like I may have to carry a towel in my frunk just for this purpose. Really didn't have any inside fog, just the water on the visor. Maybe someone can invent visor wiper-blades :p

The only thing that might help at all I can think of is one of those rubber things you put on your finger that acts like a wiper blade.. to like squeegee off the water on the visor

Thanks, Netizen. Looks like I may have to carry a towel in my frunk just for this purpose. Really didn't have any inside fog, just the water on the visor. Maybe someone can invent visor wiper-blades :p

Some Held brand gloves have a wiper built into the forefinger of the left glove.

I just stick my head out into the wind and let the water blow off.

You can buy all these products for fogging, but their just soap. A lot cheaper to use shaving cream. I have "warm and safe" electric gloves that have the wiper attached. They are waterproof electric with 3M thinsulate. Can be used with or without electric.3.jpg

Fog.jpg

I don't think anything works better than just cracking your visor a little bit.

SmileyNoShave.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I just stick my head out into the wind and let the water blow off.
+1. With good airflow a shake from side to side is all it takes. I also keep a microfiber or terry cloth in the trunk to wipe off the visor when riding in slower traffic where the airflow isn't fast enough to blow off the water droplets. NEVER routinely use paper towels on windshields and helmet visors as they are very abrasive in the relative scheme of things. They will ruin a visor in no time but in a pinch you have no choice.

You can buy all the listed products, but they are all just soap. Cheaper to use shaving cream. I find best answer is to crack visor just a little.2.jpg

Fog.jpg

SmileyAstronaunt.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes i lift the.visor up one click.it really helps.

I was about to concur with Ziggie, but then I remembered lifting the visor helps with condensation on the INSIDE of the visor, and in this case I believe he's talking about water condensation on the OUTSIDE.

I was about to concur with Ziggie, but then I remembered lifting the visor helps with condensation on the INSIDE of the visor, and in this case I believe he's talking about water condensation on the OUTSIDE.

Yep, outside. It has only happened once in 3400 miles so it isn't much of a big deal...until I can't see at 60mph and there is no place to pull over :p

There is an ongoing debate in most forums about Rainx damaging windshields and visors over time. I used it on a visor for a couple of years and it did cloud up, but I can't say for sure it was the rainX and not just wear and tear. I had a couple riding buddies in the riding club who swear it ruined their windshields on their bikes over time ... clouded them up to the point they couldn't see through them.

A helmet visor is cheap so it probably wouldn't hurt to use it and replace it in a year or two if it clouds up. I'd be more careful putting it on a plastic windshield though, I did see those windshields that they said rainx ruined over a period of years and they were bad... but I don't know for sure rainx did it. They just were convinced it did.

The problem is that rainx contains ammonia. It is the ammonia in any product that yellows plastic, not the brand. Yes, I agree it takes a long time.1.jpg

SmileyWhistleSong.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
There is an ongoing debate in most forums about Rainx damaging windshields and visors over time. I used it on a visor for a couple of years and it did cloud up, but I can't say for sure it was the rainX and not just wear and tear. I had a couple riding buddies in the riding club who swear it ruined their windshields on their bikes over time ... clouded them up to the point they couldn't see through them.

A helmet visor is cheap so it probably wouldn't hurt to use it and replace it in a year or two if it clouds up. I'd be more careful putting it on a plastic windshield though, I did see those windshields that they said rainx ruined over a period of years and they were bad... but I don't know for sure rainx did it. They just were convinced it did.

RainX says don't do it...
Rain-X® said:
Rain-X® Anti-Fog Treatment Questions
Can Rain‑X® Anti-Fog be used on acrylic?
No. This product should not be used on acrylic, plastic, motor bike helmets or motor bike windshields.

Some Held brand gloves have a wiper built into the forefinger of the left glove.

Is that what that is? I have a pair of mitts with that (on the thumb), and I saw many more at the shop. Too embarrassed to ask what it was for and couldn't figure out of the life of me why one side only!

Well, I'm not going to argue with you over the RainX - It works well for me so I use it.

Back