• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Air Bag Motorcycle Jackets!

TechiePilot

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is anyone familiar with the SaferMoto "Hit Air" line of inflatable equestrian/motorcycle jackets? Its a reusable airbag system. Which, unlike a car only requires rearming and replacing the CO2 cartridge. It seems like a really cool idea to improve your safety. Check out the videos and specs at Airbag Jackets and Vests

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

It is an innovation for biker safety for sure, but I think the speed and style of the NCX will not require such an equipment for the rider.I prefer a sensible good protection jacket and pants, with the right boots, gloves and helmet. For some, bells and whistles are the way to go, but for me, simple is best.Take care. Let us know if you really do use this vest, airbag thing.:DBTW, welcome to this forum. Hope you stick around HERE.

Thank you. This is my first "forum" experience. I recognize that I have three options:- mobile steam room, stay cool jacket option via breathable fabric, and of course there's the minimal/no gear. The latter I will not subscribe to, but I will take the pads and protection where I can get them, trying to find a happy medium between safety and comfort. I plan to "stick around" (stealing John Matrix's words from "Commando")...

Thank you. This is my first "forum" experience. I recognize that I have three options:- mobile steam room, stay cool jacket option via breathable fabric, and of course there's the minimal/no gear. The latter I will not subscribe to, but I will take the pads and protection where I can get them, trying to find a happy medium between safety and comfort. I plan to "stick around" (stealing John Matrix's words from "Commando")...

Hi TechiePilot (any chance to use a name?)

Since it is your first forum, you should take time to read and digest.
Not every user is useful nor friendly. Some can be real nasty and some just want to blah blah blah (I have been accused of all the above).
However, what is clear is, you need to be discerning and choose wisely your reading materials.

In any case, hope you get your bike and gear soon. Looking forward to seeing some videos or photos.

~Joe

I have one; it is a bit heavier/bulkier. I have used it a few times when I ride the the PC800 at speed, but like the lighter mesh/padding only jacket when on the Aprilia SC250.

I got it because you never know when you'll need it. It doesn't do much for the overall body (key areas are protected) but it does protect the neck nicely. I got an extra cartridge in case it deploys on me while out on a trip. You can deflate and rearm the jacket with no special tools.

I recommend it if you can afford it, but have another good jacket too.

Jerry

I have one. I think they are a great innovation. I must admit that I don't wear it all the time, but I should. Mine fits over a standard riding jacket and it not uncomfortable to wear. The neck protection is particularly neat, but I now wear a Leatt brace most of the time.

Completely shocked this stuff exists! Do these really work, though? I can't find any reviews or articles about these from any motorcycle magazine whatsoever.

This one look pretty good:
Hit Air Vest MC3 airbag: BIKEBONE

I'm a new driver. Already had my first "low side fall" within my first 5 miles of riding a motorcycle. Perhaps thi my be. Good investment. Wish there was actual crash tests with these...

Hit-air's web site at least used to have crash videos. There was also a "survivor" who used to make the rounds giving testimony of why he was still alive,

Lee

You have to remember to clip in, but I think the air bag is probably better neck protection than any brace you'd want to ride in. I activated mine in a parking tipover, and it seriously immobilized my neck. Wedged against the helmet, I could barely even rotate let alone tilt my neck.

Granted there could be crash situations where you hit your head before it activates, but I think most of them would either be unsurvivable anyway (crash into wall or side of truck) or not very hard on the neck (lowside slide with bike). I guess if you slide with the bike, without separating more than standing up on the pegs, and hit your head while sliding, the airbag wouldn't help you.

Last edited:
wish there was a version without the neck protection so that a rider could wear the airbag vest for rib protection and a leatt neck brace together.

If it would inflate around the midsection to give rib protection it might worth the purchase. I think there is far more valnurable areas to protect. When I low sided last year and broke left side ribs my neck was fine. I would buy it in a second if it protected my ribs. The pain was indescribable.

Last edited:
I have the motoair vest, which seems better made to me but has fewer style choices.
It works, but not in every situation. No gear works in every situation. If you hit your head or do not separate from the bike they will not help.

The "Just get good gear instead" baffles me.
The airbag vest or jacket is in addition to your other gear. You do not take anything away.

If you don't like the idea, don't wear it. It is not required.

Is anyone familiar with the SaferMoto "Hit Air" line of inflatable equestrian/motorcycle jackets? Its a reusable airbag system. Which, unlike a car only requires rearming and replacing the CO2 cartridge. It seems like a really cool idea to improve your safety. Check out the videos and specs at Airbag Jackets and Vests

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

I am very familiar with them, am friends with the original "owner" of SaferMoto, and personally know the current person who runs it (Alan Cunningham). I was sponsored by them when I raced AFM and wore one for a season. I have personally seen more than a couple crashes with them on, and people walk away without injuries to their back or neck that I feel they would have had without it. Both on road, and on race track.

They work well, they are comfortable for the most part (if you get one that fits you correctly), and contrary to popular belief -- you do not accidentally hop off the bike and "pull the cord." It's sturdy and you'll know it's there before you walk away. A very good friend of mine rides with his 24/7 and I've watched it save him in a head on collision. No broken collarbone or anything.

I worked with a guy for about a year before he transferred to Arizona. He raced professionally for 5 or 6 years I asked him about these and the parachute system that is similar. Instead of blowing up like a air bag it shoots out a small parachute. he said they both worked great but the full body suit that he wore was the best, but that was race track only and he only crashed at very high speeds, I would imagine getting hit or hitting someone at average speeds for me or you this would be a great addition to normal riding gear

I just looked at the Hit HS-3 Air Mesh Jacket. It looks great. There is all around upper body protection. The clip in concept will catch me offguard though. I know I'll just get off the motorcycle without thinking and it will inflate. That's not a big deal as you just put a new CO2 cartridge in and pack the neck padding back into it's pocket. Price is $529. That's a little steep. But the type of protection it offers is pretty stellar. I'm going to save up for one.

Back