• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Throttle heavy to turn...

Markino

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
douring the Honda Day I've teste the CBR600F and CB1000R... I know is complety diferent bike but when I take my NC700X to get back home I've noticed that my throttle is really muchheavy then the two bike I've tested.
Do someone have the same sensation? Is an NC "feature" or can I make somethink to make it more light to turn?

I came from an old Shadow, so the NC throttle is a lot lighter than that, but not as light (or twitchy) as my husband's R6. The only time I found myself really working to twist the throttle was when my chain needed replacing.

Markino
You might want to lubricate your throttle cables, they may be dry, rusty, or dusty.
May want to check and see if the throttle cable housing is twisted or kinked or squashed or binding somewhere. Lubrication can solve a lot of problems.
My throttle is easy to turn.

Markino
You might want to lubricate your throttle cables, they may be dry, rusty, or dusty.
May want to check and see if the throttle cable housing is twisted or kinked or squashed or binding somewhere. Lubrication can create a lot of problems.
My throttle is easy to turn.

I fixed it for you. Do not lube the Honda cables.

What are the problems that it creates?

I refixed it for you. Do lube the Honda cables.
I stand by my advice to lubricate your cables if they are sticky or stiff to use.
What are the problems that lubing Honda cables creates?:confused:
Why not other makes?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Lol this is another touchy subject....I do find it funny we argue over $18.41 cables like if you lube it and it does break your going to be in for major repairs :)

Last edited:
Have your dealer tech feel your throttle. It could be something in the throttle body or just normal. Either way you will feel better knowing.

In chapter 3, maintenance, throttle operation it says: "If the throttle grip does not return properly, lubricate the throttle cable, and overhaul and lubricate the throttle grip housing"

In chapter 3, maintenance, throttle operation it says: "If the throttle grip does not return properly, lubricate the throttle cable, and overhaul and lubricate the throttle grip housing"

Huh?! Lubricant isn't harmful?! What a surprise....

I had the same experience and advice from a Kawasaki dealer. The throttle cable and clutch cables are OEM parts and they are sourced usually from the same supplier for Japanese bikes (I believe all bikes).
The average ones are internally coated with Teflon or some materials and they are not meant to be relubricated (no matter what the manual says).

If external lubricants are poured in, they may solve the problem for the short term (cable feels lubricated and smooth), but it also reacts with the internal coating and it "washes" out or destroys that coating.
The external lubricant then picks up and sticks the dirt together, causing major cable failure (eg: stuck or even worse corrodes and snaps).

Do what you will. A cable usually lasts a long long time. You can lube it if that is what you want.
:p

Probably what the manual says is to lubricate the piece of cable that is not covered, meaning the one inside the throttle grip housing. It says nothing about to lubricate the clutch cable.

I guess this answers Beemerphile's question!
NEXT QUESTION!

No it does not. Consider the analogy to a teflon lined cooking pan. When the teflon coating is intact you do not need cooking oil to keep the food from sticking. But eventually, the teflon coating wears off and food begins to stick. If you wish, you can use the pan longer by starting to use cooking oil with it. Does this mean that it needed cooking oil from the beginning? No, it means you can extend the service life, if you wish, by treating it as a non-teflon coated pan after the teflon wear off. Because teflon is non-stick, it is difficult to get it to stick to anything, and it can come off. There is no such thing as a teflon sheath in a motorcycle because there is no way to extrude teflon into hollow shapes - it is teflon coated. While the teflon is intact there is no need to lubricate, in fact, in can lead to the teflon coating not lasting as long by closing up the tolerances inside the sheath without helping initial lubricity. When the teflon lining is worn off, you can extend the life by lubricating it.

Or you can accept that it is worn and get a new one. This does not mean, and it is not recommended, that you lube them from the start.

Last edited:
Honest to god, I never thought we would be arguing about whether you should lube throttle cables lol. Everyone has some scientific NASA reason why you should or shouldn't do it. Once again for $18 cables.... Personally and this is not an arguing point, I have only ever seen maybe a handful of cables break (clutch or throttle) working in the motorcycle industry. Harley's cables are probably not Teflon coated so we will pass over that (if someone could tell me where honda says the cable is Teflon coated I would appreciate it, because its complete speculation right now to me). The only other was a 09 cbr1000rr and he never ever ever lubed his and it still broke around 20,000 miles. Maybe just a bad cable I don't know but I have been lubing cables since I first started riding 9 years ago and haven't seen one of mine break yet. If it does "deteriorate" the coating it must not be a big deal as long as you continue to lube the cables regularly which if you think about it makes sense. If its going to lose the coating regular lubrication will be necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The problem I have ran into over the years with lubes is there are three kinds (Aluminum, lithium, carbon). All are good lubes. Problem is they just don't mix with each other. On Yamaha waverunners I see this problem quite often. Yamaha uses aluminum base lube. Everyone seems to go to wal-mart and buy lithium base lube. They think they are doing the right thing in greasing the thrust bearing with the lithium lube. Not much time later, unit in the shop and I am replacing the thrust bearing. Same problem with lubing motorcycle cables. Which of the three lubes in the cable to begin with? If it is white in color (lithium), green (aluminum), and black (carbon).

Back