• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Unable to shift from first to neutral or 2nd.

cburn

Reaction score
Visit site
Just took delivery of my 2012 NC700X yesterday. I went to run an errand for the wife (any excuse to ride). I downshift into first at a stop sign and let the clutch out and was moving, when I attempted to shift into 2nd it wouldn't. I pulled over and called the dealer to see what he'd like to do. They are coming to pick it up this morning but I was wondering if anyone else has has this issue. The bike simply will not come out of first gear. What could have caused it?

Thanks,
Cburn

Did you look at the linkage?

I did. Everything looks tight and properly attached and is moving the shaft that goes into the transmission. I can only assume its internal I haven't opened it up at all, don't want to void warranty. I had a honda CB360T and spent a bunch of time working on it. So I'm not a total noob when it comes to mechanical things.

Thanks,
Cburn

That's good to know, because I have the noob bit covered. No sense in both of us being noobs.

So you were in motion in first gear and it just refused to change? Did the shift lever move during your attempts or was it stuck in place?

That's good to know, because I have the noob bit covered. No sense in both of us being noobs.

So you were in motion in first gear and it just refused to change? Did the shift lever move during your attempts or was it stuck in place?

It moves just as it normally would except no shift happens, I was in motion. That's why I think it must be internal because everything external looks and operates fine, just no shift happening.

Yes, shift fork is internal. I have seen the clutch lock up also. The switch that let's the bike start is on the clutch lever, has nothing to do with clutch being stuck. That switch opens when clutch lever is pulled and lets electricity flow threw. If the bike is under warranty let the dealer do the work.

Last edited:
Is the shift fork internal? The clutch is working fine. I know this because it's stuck in gear. I pull the clutch and start the bike, then let out the clutch and go forward. Just no shifting.

The shift forks are internal to the transmission. There are three of them. A fairly deep engine disassembly is usually required from the right side of the engine to get to them, but I haven't looked at the process for accessing them on the NC.

Yes, shift fork is internal. I have seen the clutch lock up also. The switch that let's the bike start is on the clutch lever, has nothing to do with clutch being stuck. That switch opens when clutch lever is pulled and lets electricity flows threw. If the bike is under warranty let the dealer do the work.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the parts page and the shift forks. I hope I didn't bend one of those. I mean I wasn't doing anything crazy so how could that happen. If the clutch was stuck open I could never get the bike to move. If it was stuck close the bike would lurch when I started it. Seems to me the clutch can't be the problem.

Sometimes stuff just happens. People try to figure out why, but that is usually just an educated try. Dealer will fix it and fill out warranty claim for company engineers to look at.

Sometimes stuff just happens. People try to figure out why, but that is usually just an educated try. Dealer will fix it and fill out warranty claim for company engineers to look at.

They said they will be picking it up this morning. I hope it doesn't take too long to get her back. I can't wait to ride.

This forum seems great. Happy to be with a good crowd.

It's unlikely you could do anything to jam the shifters yourself. Most likely something was not right in the box to start with and it broke or twisted early. It's a pain to get stranded but that's what the warranty's there for. Even the best manufacturers have problems from time to time. The smarter ones log the warranty data and use it as feedback to design and production to improve the product.

It's unlikely you could do anything to jam the shifters yourself. Most likely something was not right in the box to start with and it broke or twisted early. It's a pain to get stranded but that's what the warranty's there for. Even the best manufacturers have problems from time to time. The smarter ones log the warranty data and use it as feedback to design and production to improve the product.

I'm not too worried about reliability with the Honda. Just hoping it's something simple and she is back in my garage soon.

Lucky I was only a few blocks from my house when the problem happened so it really wasn't a big deal.

Thanks,
Cburn

Welcome to the forum cburn. Hope you're back in the wind soon! Just curious...how many miles on this bike? Was it sitting on the showroom floor for awhile?

Welcome to the forum cburn. Hope you're back in the wind soon! Just curious...how many miles on this bike? Was it sitting on the showroom floor for awhile?

5 Miles on the bike.. most of which was put on when I drove it home yesterday.

Thanks,
Cburn

it is not uncommon for the shift fork to get bent on the show room floor. Folks for some reason just have to shift the bike when they sit on it.

it is not uncommon for the shift fork to get bent on the show room floor. Folks for some reason just have to shift the bike when they sit on it.

Perhaps that's what happened. It was probably sitting on the showroom floor since it arrived at the dealer. Any idea how long that would take to repair?
Thanks,
Chad

Depends on the shop and if they have to open the transmission. That requires splitting the cases... I would say a few weeks for parts ordering and technician time. I know thats probably not what you want to hear but splitting the cases and ordering parts can take time.

Repair is quick, most cases just pull side case. On a new model bike, sometimes not always, the parts getting to the dealer can take a while. Have to get the gaskets, also. But with any luck it will not be back ordered. Better yet, the problem could be something so simple none of us thought about it.

Last edited:
Back