• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Idle speed?

NCer

Reaction score
Visit site
I think mine is idling high.... 1500 rpm cold, 1200-1300 rpm warm (kind of hard to tell exactly).

What is the recommended idle speed cold / warm? How can I adjust it?

Thanks!

Didn't you read the manual?
It says something like 1200?
Or maybe I did not read the manual. Duh...yeap I did not read the manual but remember it is somewhere like 1200rpm.

I've always been puzzled by motorcycle (Japanese ones, that I'm more familiar with) idle speeds.

Almost every bike I've ever owned, has had roughly a 1,200 +/- rpm warm idle. Doesn't matter if it's had a 17,000 rpm redline, or a 10,000, or an 8,500 one. V4, V3, V2, two stroke, inline four, twin, single, air or oil or water cooled, small displacement, large, or whatever. Always ends up with the same 1200 +/-

I really expected the NCX to have like a 900 rpm idle or something, lol. How high it is frankly surprised me, given it's uber low redline and mission statement.

i owned a 2007 CBR600RR.the idle on specs was 1500, and the bike's idle is exactly 1500. . which brings me to the question about idle on NC-after you start the bike cold(let say-after overnight). the idle fluctuates a bit like going up a 100-150 rpm or so-then down, up and down. It warmed up-no such thing. stable. is anyone else having those fluctuations after cold start?

Thank you!

i owned a 2007 CBR600RR.the idle on specs was 1500, and the bike's idle is exactly 1500. . which brings me to the question about idle on NC-after you start the bike cold(let say-after overnight). the idle fluctuates a bit like going up a 100-150 rpm or so-then down, up and down. It warmed up-no such thing. stable. is anyone else having those fluctuations after cold start?

Thank you!

YUP....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This bike is supposed to rev high when cold and go to normal when warm - this isn't a bike that has a choke, it's all digital fuel injected fun.

This bike is supposed to rev high when cold and go to normal when warm - this isn't a bike that has a choke, it's all digital fuel injected fun.

i understand that. as engine warms up-rpms on idle gradually decrease. just like on the cars. but i never seen idle goes up and down every second or so.

i understand that. as engine warms up-rpms on idle gradually decrease. just like on the cars. but i never seen idle goes up and down every second or so.

I notice that too, and I'm guessing that the digital sensor that controls the idle is fluxuating based on some input it (momentarily) can't make sense of. I suspect the hot/cold reading is right on the border of "turn the idle up" or "turn the idle down", and the regulator is jumping between the two.
When the motor heats up more, the data is steadier and the behavior disappears.

I notice that too, and I'm guessing that the digital sensor that controls the idle is fluxuating based on some input it (momentarily) can't make sense of. I suspect the hot/cold reading is right on the border of "turn the idle up" or "turn the idle down", and the regulator is jumping between the two.
When the motor heats up more, the data is steadier and the behavior disappears.

make sense.Thank you!

the engine idle is controlled by the power train control module through idle air control valve. there is a controlled idle speed and a base idle speed. base idle would have to be adjusted and then the throttle position sensor feed back signal would have to be programed as the new base idle. the power train control module then adapts to this new setting. the idle moving around is known as hunting. It should slowly go away. the pcm will slowly change the strategy to adapt for this. I don't how many drive cycles honda goes though but it's a number of them. it can adapt to fuel. air flow, altitude, temperature, and wear. there are tuners that can change what ever you want. but really why would you? works well just as it is. good night. love the reading.

the engine idle is controlled by the power train control module through idle air control valve. there is a controlled idle speed and a base idle speed. base idle would have to be adjusted and then the throttle position sensor feed back signal would have to be programed as the new base idle. the power train control module then adapts to this new setting. the idle moving around is known as hunting. It should slowly go away. the pcm will slowly change the strategy to adapt for this. I don't how many drive cycles honda goes though but it's a number of them. it can adapt to fuel. air flow, altitude, temperature, and wear. there are tuners that can change what ever you want. but really why would you? works well just as it is. good night. love the reading.
well..the only question i have-is it normal? sounds like it is. so be it. :)

As for the higher idle speed. Even though it has an upper limit similar to cars, you still only have two cylinders. This makes for a long wait between relatively close power pulses. This coupled with much less flywheel mass means to get a smoother idle you need more speed. If you rev the engine you'll see just how much quicker it spools up than a comparable Honda Fit.

Tonight was the first night that I fired it up cold after sitting outside for 8 hours. Temp was 60 degrees. I then noticed this erratic idle that some of you were talking about, like a 150 rpm up and down or 1 bar on the RPM gauge. After I drove it a bit, it cleared up. Also was wondering if this is normal.

Back