• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Handlebar end cap coming loose?

jelo

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure what's up - the throttle side handlebar end cap on my bike seems to loosen on it's own. I tightened the screw, but it still seems to be able to turn inside the handlebar. Is there a trick to getting it to stay in place? How do you pull it all apart - as in removing the part inside the handlebar?

I know this can be frustrating. Try putting a little of the blue colored lock tight on the end of the screw.
Put your hand over the end plastic of your Phillips screw driver, push in hard, and then start to tighten. Don’t strip!!

This weight does have a purpose. When traveling at higher speeds and you hit a large pot hole in the roadway, it keeps the bars from going into high speed wobble. It’s a high speed stabilizer.

Lot of folks for some reason just want chrome handlebar grips. They then ask how I keep the bike from going into a high speed wobble with the chrome grips. Simple: Don’t drive at high speeds over 100mph. Most folks don’t drive that fast anyway, so it doesn’t matter.

EndWeight.jpg

If what is moving is the #10 piece in Old Can Ride picture, this is absolutelly normal

Yes, it's part number 10. What I was trying to say was that even with the screw (23) tightened now, the end cap (10) (and I suppose the whole assembly) still turns. It didn't used to, and the corresponding part clutch side doesn't turn.

In the diagram above, parts 11 and 12 are rubber fittings. Friction between them and the inside of the bar is what holds the weights in and nothing more. Its perfectly normal for you to be able to grab the bar end weight and twist it. If the screw is coming loose, well, that's already been covered.

What Dan said***, and sometimes the Honda assembly robot (machine or organic lol) glorps some glue in there 'twixt rubber flanged O-rings and inner handlebar, sometimes not.

My CBR125R is exactly the same set up as the NCX. On my CBR, both end weights would spin so freely, I could take my hands off the bars at highway speed, and watch the end weights slowly rotate as I was riding. (both clockwise, curiously enough)

Taking them out for other fiddling purposes, I saw zero evidence of any adhesive in the throttle tube side, but smears of generic yellow Honda rubber cement-like glue all over the inner weight rod O-rings on the clutch side. This did not work, as the inner weight spun every bit as easily as the throttle side, that had no trace of glue.

With my NC700X, there were miniscule signs of adhesive on the throttle side inner weight O-ring closer to the centre of the bike, but none on the outer side. The clutch side had a big blob of hardened glue on the outer O-ring, and none on the inner.

***Although #13, is a spring clip with two tiny prongs sticking out, which mate (or are supposed to) up with two small holes drilled in the ends of the bars, to keep the whole assembly inside the bar. These help to, but do not prevent, the mechanism from being able to spin in the bars.

Last edited:
"This weight does have a purpose. When traveling at higher speeds and you hit a large pot hole in the roadway, it keeps the bars from going into high speed wobble. It’s a high speed stabilizer. "

First time I've ever heard that!?. The bar end weights are to keep your mirrors still, without them the vibrations from the bike make them shake and very difficult to see through.

"This weight does have a purpose. When traveling at higher speeds and you hit a large pot hole in the roadway, it keeps the bars from going into high speed wobble. It’s a high speed stabilizer. "

First time I've ever heard that!?. The bar end weights are to keep your mirrors still, without them the vibrations from the bike make them shake and very difficult to see through.

First and foremost, I believe their main purpose is to attenuate vibes at whatever frequency Honda determined were the most intrusive, but I do believe they can help with what OCR said. How much, I can't speculate. Like a tightrope walker with a weighted end balance pole, I'm sure they help rather than hinder as far as ocillations go.

Back