• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question about the Front Turn Signals

kevicon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

New owner/rider here and I have whats probably a simple question. But I just can't seem to figure it out and I've tried to look online but had no luck in finding anything. I unfortunately dropped my NC the other day and thankfully I had no real damage to the bike except my right turn signal came loose and after looking closely at it it seems as if nothing broke except the tiny screw that holds it snug against the bike. So it looks like I just need to replace that screw but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the entire turn signal to do that. I didn't really want to take it to the dealer if I didn't have to so any info you could contribute would be great . I attached a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

WP_20130526_010.jpg

Hey guys,

New owner/rider here and I have whats probably a simple question. But I just can't seem to figure it out and I've tried to look online but had no luck in finding anything. I unfortunately dropped my NC the other day and thankfully I had no real damage to the bike except my right turn signal came loose and after looking closely at it it seems as if nothing broke except the tiny screw that holds it snug against the bike. So it looks like I just need to replace that screw but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the entire turn signal to do that. I didn't really want to take it to the dealer if I didn't have to so any info you could contribute would be great . I attached a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Welcome to the NC700 forum. I've got the same problem with my left rear turn signal due to an incident involving a lashing strap, so I'm curious to hear the answer to your question. I'm also a new rider and would like to hear how it came to be that you dropped yours if you would care to share the story. I haven't done it thus far, but came close when a parking lot barrier arm came down on me when going through a gate. I've heard it said there are two kinds of bikes: those that have been dropped and those that will be dropped at some point.

Don't know the answer to your question, but I do have the service manual at home and will see if it offers any insight if no one pipes up.

I fixed mine with a Popsicle stick and some electrical tape. However, to get at that screw you need to take off the lens and remove the bulb. That assembly is worth about $75 bucks.

Side light.jpg
It looks like you need to remove the front side cowl ( the panel the light is mounted on) to get at the inner fittings so you can reassemble the light.

I hope the upload of this image works.

Cheers

Chris

Welcome to the NC700 forum. I've got the same problem with my left rear turn signal due to an incident involving a lashing strap, so I'm curious to hear the answer to your question. I'm also a new rider and would like to hear how it came to be that you dropped yours if you would care to share the story. I haven't done it thus far, but came close when a parking lot barrier arm came down on me when going through a gate. I've heard it said there are two kinds of bikes: those that have been dropped and those that will be dropped at some point.

Don't know the answer to your question, but I do have the service manual at home and will see if it offers any insight if no one pipes up.

Well embarrassingly enough I low sided the bike during a right turn that went way to wide :/ For some reason I have issues turning to the right on those quick tight turns like turning onto residential street lanes. Its got me a bit paranoid to ride the bike now without crash bars but those are on the way... My brother who has a few years of riding experience is going to help me to see what my issue is with my turns. I'm not sure if I'm not leaning enough or not enough acceleration or what.

View attachment 4778
It looks like you need to remove the front side cowl ( the panel the light is mounted on) to get at the inner fittings so you can reassemble the light.

I hope the upload of this image works.

Cheers

Chris

Hmm I will have to take another close look when I get home. It's weird cause I thought it looked like you have to remove the turn signals before removing any of those front plastic pieces cause the rubber base almost looks like it sits over the black plastic covers.

Its got me a bit paranoid to ride the bike now without crash bars but those are on the way...

Yeah, I'll be installing my GIVI crash bars this weekend along with a new SHAD seat. I do the same thing sometimes on turns in both directions, but rights are tougher because they are generally sharper than lefts. I expect we'll both get better with time. Thanks for sharing!

I once had such an accident, and for a Japanese bike, you have to buy the WHOLE assembly (which I think is a rip off).
Compared to BMW, you could buy almost any part from the diagram individually.
I hope you find a solution. Paying for the whole assembly is way too expensive for a simple breakage. Perhaps you can use a tube and repair it yourself with Araldite?

Well embarrassingly enough I low sided the bike during a right turn that went way to wide :/ For some reason I have issues turning to the right on those quick tight turns like turning onto residential street lanes. Its got me a bit paranoid to ride the bike now without crash bars but those are on the way... My brother who has a few years of riding experience is going to help me to see what my issue is with my turns. I'm not sure if I'm not leaning enough or not enough acceleration or what.

Kevicon, I hope you don't mind some constructive advice from a motorcycle safety instructor.

Without the advantage of seeing you ride, a few thoughts come to mind. Number 1 - where are you looking? If you're not turning your head to look as far through the turn as possible, this could affect your ability to stay on the correct path of travel. Also, if you're looking at the edge of the road, chances are that's where you're going to head. Turn your head more and look to the road where you want to go, not toward the edge.
Another issue could be throttle control. You might be having trouble moderating your speed through the turn. This happens sometimes on right turns because you're pressing the handgrip to lean the bike to the right, and sometimes may be adjusting the throttle at the same time. Make sure you're coordinating the "friction zone" of the clutch with the throttle to smooth it out. Finally, if you feel you're going too wide, just press more in the direction you want to go. The bike will lean more and therefore make a tighter turn.

I don't know if you have taken any training classes, but even if so, like many riders you need to take some additional training with a professional RiderCoach. The problem you describe is not uncommon in new, inexperienced or improperly trained riders (such as those trained by an experienced brother). What state are you in? Perhaps I can steer you in the right direction to find training classes in your area.

Yeah, that was the first thing that came to mind when I read his problem. Look where you're going, don't look at the front wheel, don't look at the street in front of you, look to the right and down the road you're turning onto. One of the things they try to instill in you during training is you will go wherever your looking. If you look at the street in front of you while turning right, you will fight the right turn, your body will try to stay up rather than leaning into the turn.

actually, from that picture, it looks like you could pull the old screw and put in the replacement fairly easy, although you might have to get in behind the light assembly to push it out while you put the screw in.

Since it's not available as an individual part, why not just remove the screw from the other side and go to your local hardware store and buy a new one?

Also I've had signals pop loose before where they couldn't be screwed back together. I've usually just super glued them back together without any problems.

actually, from that picture, it looks like you could pull the old screw and put in the replacement fairly easy, although you might have to get in behind the light assembly to push it out while you put the screw in.

Since it's not available as an individual part, why not just remove the screw from the other side and go to your local hardware store and buy a new one?

Also I've had signals pop loose before where they couldn't be screwed back together. I've usually just super glued them back together without any problems.

Thats what I'm actually trying to do is to just replace that screw. My problem is trying to figure out how to get the signal off to put the screw back in. The rubber mount is snug against the black plastic on the side and I THINK based on the diagrams I saw it's held in by a screw or nut but I cant figure out how to get to it yet

Kevicon, I hope you don't mind some constructive advice from a motorcycle safety instructor.

Without the advantage of seeing you ride, a few thoughts come to mind. Number 1 - where are you looking? If you're not turning your head to look as far through the turn as possible, this could affect your ability to stay on the correct path of travel. Also, if you're looking at the edge of the road, chances are that's where you're going to head. Turn your head more and look to the road where you want to go, not toward the edge.
Another issue could be throttle control. You might be having trouble moderating your speed through the turn. This happens sometimes on right turns because you're pressing the handgrip to lean the bike to the right, and sometimes may be adjusting the throttle at the same time. Make sure you're coordinating the "friction zone" of the clutch with the throttle to smooth it out. Finally, if you feel you're going too wide, just press more in the direction you want to go. The bike will lean more and therefore make a tighter turn.

I don't know if you have taken any training classes, but even if so, like many riders you need to take some additional training with a professional RiderCoach. The problem you describe is not uncommon in new, inexperienced or improperly trained riders (such as those trained by an experienced brother). What state are you in? Perhaps I can steer you in the right direction to find training classes in your area.

I don't mind the advice at all. Everyone on this forum probably has way more experience than me so what do I know :|
I actually did take the MSF course back in February/March and believe it or not I did ok. I know the looking through the turn is important and it does seem as if maybe I wasn't which would give me that lack of turn. Its kind of strange but it's almost like I'm overthinking everything too because I know for curves and such you countersteer which leans the bike but on lower speed sharp turns do you not push to the right (to go right) to lean the bike and then turn the handlebars into the turn? Or am I just thinking up crazy things in my head.

I'm located in Port St Lucie, FL

I don't mind the advice at all. Everyone on this forum probably has way more experience than me so what do I know :|
I actually did take the MSF course back in February/March and believe it or not I did ok. I know the looking through the turn is important and it does seem as if maybe I wasn't which would give me that lack of turn. Its kind of strange but it's almost like I'm overthinking everything too because I know for curves and such you countersteer which leans the bike but on lower speed sharp turns do you not push to the right (to go right) to lean the bike and then turn the handlebars into the turn? Or am I just thinking up crazy things in my head.

Kevicon,
I just think you just need a little bit of practice. Maybe your not leaning enough or not looking through far ahead enough on the turn or maybe your going to fast in the turn?. You already took the msf coarse, so you got the basics already. Just a little bit of practice time.

Ken

Yes, you're overthinking it :) You're right that countersteering is what turns the bike once you're going above about 10-12 mph (varies from bike to bike). But just think of it simply.....you need to press forward on the handgrip in the direction you want to go (press right to go right; press left to go left). At slower speeds, you turn the handlebars in the direction you want to go. I'm sure that in most cases you're already doing this without thinking about it.

I strongly recommend you contact the place where you took your Basic RiderCourse, and ask them about the BRC2. It's for new riders who need additional practice time, and you get to use your own bike so you can improve your feel of how it responds to your inputs. We call it "bike bonding". They may also offer the new MSF Street RiderCourse, where RiderCoaches take small groups of students out on the road and communicate with them through in-helmet radios. Both of these classes can really help you to develop your cornering (and other) skills.

So has anyone actually had to remove the signal lights yet on the NC700 yet? I just don't want to go ripping everything off and realize I don't have to. I'd definitely like to try just replacing that screw if possible.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

So has anyone actually had to remove the signal lights yet on the NC700 yet?

I had the signal lights off of mine once, but I had the cowls off at the time. From your picture, it looks like the wire harness may be holding it on. I am not sure whether you can reach the wire connector to disconnect it without cowl removal because I never tried it. But if not, maybe you could generate a little slack in the wire by reaching up inside the fork tunnel.

I had the signal lights off of mine once, but I had the cowls off at the time. From your picture, it looks like the wire harness may be holding it on. I am not sure whether you can reach the wire connector to disconnect it without cowl removal because I never tried it. But if not, maybe you could generate a little slack in the wire by reaching up inside the fork tunnel.

Ok so worse case scenario I need to remove the front black plastic pieces that surround the headlight to get them off or are you referring to some other pieces. I'm sorry if my questions are all over the place; Its my first bike :| Still trying to get acclimated :confused:

Back