• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

tail of the dragon....again

Jarvis

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys/gals

I was not able to make the 1st go around but would love to ride up that way this summer.....
Anyone like to go/meet up?
Sometime this summer during the weekend????

Just got back. Did the Dragon as well as the Cherahola Skyway. Hwy 28 is as good as the Dragon. Hwy 64 to the waterfalls between Franklin and Highlands is great, too.

I expect to have mine by the end of June and will make my way up there a couple times before fall. I frequently set up camp in Suches, GA. to ride the area. Dragon has nothing over that area except better PR.

The dragon was fun for the extreme curves and switch backs one right after another and thankfully it wasn’t crowded that weekend but the other roads had a lot better sightseeing and were just as fun. At one point we were on a skyway, frozenpoet pulled out the GPS and took us off the skyway down a dirt road that led through 1 lane back roads that were amazing. As long as you aren’t on a 4 lane almost every road in that area is awesome.

I'm located in North Florida so if you are going to be leaving from around these parts just let me know and I may try to ride up with you (depending on when it is of course). We've got a supermoto rally up there on July 25th - August 3rd so I'm hoping it isn't during that time. Please keep me posted...

I never liked the Dragon until I retired. Now that I can go there mid-week it is OK. But just OK. On the weekends, it is a good place to get hurt because of stupidity, even if the stupidity belongs to someone else. I once had a guy coming the other direction pass by me on my right as I was in a left hand turn. It is the closest thing to a head-on collision that I have ever experienced.

I couldn't agree more...... weekends at the Gap are nothing more than a chrome parade.
If I can go I prefer to make it up there during a weekend ( to get in an early morning run ) and then go explore routes that I've already done a thousand times but can't live without doing again ( thank God for Cades Cove and Parsons Branch Road - dumps out onto 129 ). During the week is the best time though. Clean passes and not a bunch of rookies up there making us all look bad. The worst part about the area I think is that people just don't respect the road...... well, that or they don't respect their machine. Or, maybe a bit of both.

I heard a local say "Tell them boys to slow down before they hurt somebody besides themselves." and for some reason it has stuck with me all these years. I hate seeing idiot riders up there ( and down here ).

Yes, the best time is early in the day mid-week. For a long time my favorite ride was the Dragon to 72 to 411 to 360 to the Cherohala back to Robbinsville. This is about 100 miles of very good roads.

Then I visited VA and WV. Those roads make western NC seem crowded in comparison.

Two old guys at the Gap early one Wednesday. Crappy video and worse music but they had fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blh0afqtMRM

Last edited:
We did put the nail that mpgandfun managed to pick up into the tree of shame. I like going the pre or post summer times. The weekend we did the SGT it really wasn't that bad traffic wise. Granted the threat of rain and it being mothers day weekend probably helped some.

Last time I rode the dragon I entered from the North Carolina side at 7AM on a Sunday morning. I had 1 truck and 1 car pass me going in the other direction the entire 11 miles. I didn't see anyone heading in the same direction I was traveling.

That was the best ever ride on the Dragon for me.

I love going out there mainly to hang out with other riders and check out all the neat accessories they have on their bikes and see bikes I rarely have a chance to see in person.
I also love to stay at Iron Horse motorcycle Lodge. The people staying there are always a great group to hang out with, and the facilities are great.

I'm gonna have to agree with one of the above posts about loving to go to the Gap but it's just as much fun to sit at the store and hang out and chat with the other bikers that are coming and going. A few buddies of mine and I actually sat up under the little covered area at the front doors for about 4 hours one day just taking in the area and enjoying watching folks come in and ride out. Of course we tired of that after a while and went to ride 28 and back around to the Cherohala and then back to Robbinsville.

I'd like to ride in the WV area one day but don't have any idea where to go up there. Too easy for me to ride in WNC and TN where I know every turn of every road and all of the little "off the beaten path" roads to pass up stopping to ride.

I'm gonna have to agree with one of the above posts about loving to go to the Gap but it's just as much fun to sit at the store and hang out and chat with the other bikers that are coming and going. A few buddies of mine and I actually sat up under the little covered area at the front doors for about 4 hours one day just taking in the area and enjoying watching folks come in and ride out. Of course we tired of that after a while and went to ride 28 and back around to the Cherohala and then back to Robbinsville.

I'd like to ride in the WV area one day but don't have any idea where to go up there. Too easy for me to ride in WNC and TN where I know every turn of every road and all of the little "off the beaten path" roads to pass up stopping to ride.

I know a good chunk of the northern part of WV. Some roads are a blast others are just ok.

LOL ...that's fair.
Sad thing about it is that every road leading to the crossroads of time and Deals Gap are all awesome but a bunch of folks miss them because they have one thing in mind: Get to "The Gap" so I can ride it, buy my t-shirt, get some stickers, eat a cheese burger, and go back to our campsite. Sad really cause they are missing out on some EPIC riding.

I'm flying out to DC in the morning for a week and have this Saturday free. I've never been to the Dragon before and decided to head down
there to rent a bike this Saturday morning. I know it is the end of the season, but I figure it would still be worth the effort to see the area and I have
found a shop that has a bike available. I'll try to check out some of the other roads listed in the previous posts while I've got the rental -- thanks for listing them!

You might Want to check weather.be safe and watch for the big woods rats

sent from a keyboard in the frunk

As the new year approaches this gathering gets closer to reality. If I haven't sold my house yet and moved to Virgina I will plan to be there this time. The Dragon can be excessively busy and dangerous on weekends. I have been there on a nice weekend when the traffic both directions averaged under 10 mph. I would strongly suggest arriving Thursday evening to do the Dragon on Friday ahead of the crowds. If youy have to do the Dragon on the weekend then get out of bed early while most of the Harley guys are still sleeping off last night's party. Before 10: AM it can be good but be advised Killboy sleeps in too so you may not get your picture taken. The cops also are more present on weekends and write lots of tickets.

There is a lot of good riding in the area to justify spending multiple days in the area and the other roads won't be as hectic on the weekend. Here are a coiuple I have led groups on.

This one takes Hellbender 28 / Moonshiner 28 down to Franklin then back via Wayah road and 129.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...;Fai6HAIdP4wB-w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=10&t=m&z=10

If up for a little longer ride continue oin 28 a few miles past Highlands then Warwomen road across to 441 and back up to Franklin and Wayah to 129. And how can you pass up a chance to ride a road properly named "Warwoman".
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...AIdP4wB-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=10&via=2&t=m&z=10

Another great loop including the Cherohala: If it is too many miles for some they can stay on 129 from Murphy back to Deals Gap.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...IdVBAB-w&mra=dme&mrsp=10&sz=11&via=4&t=m&z=10

Fuzzy, all those roads are good, been on all of them. Also, a good road is NC209, the Rattler, located just outside of Hot Springs, NC.
Also, The Diamondback - NC 226A, outside of Marion NC. Remember guys, the Dragon isn't the only road down there and it isn't the best (only the best Marketing).
HWY 28 is better and very little traffic on it (if any)-I have ridden HWY 28 many times and sometimes never see another vehicle from the Dragon down to 64/19.

Back