• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Recommended Coolant?

Just match the color (green) and make sure it's aluminum block coolant, which if its motorcycle coolant it is.

And be sure it is silicate free to avoid damage to the water pump and seals.

The Honda stuff is pricey, but for no more volume than this cooling system holds, just keep it simple and buy the Honda stuff. There are cheaper options out there, but there is no "performance" to be gained by using anything more expensive than the Honda brand.

Could this become Oil Thread's first cousin?

Greg

Last edited:
It is premium cost compared to the brands at an auto parts store but buying Honda Type II premix coolant at a Honda automobile dealer is cheaper than Honda MC branded premix stuff and it is the same coolant. I pay about $13 a gallon for it at the Honda car dealership.

The suggestions to use Honda-branded coolant are good and simplify things for a person. Nevertheless, plain old Prestone also meets what specification(s) Honda has in the manuals for these bikes. It's silicate-free and phosphate-free, so no compatibility problems with either insanely-hard water (even though you're going to use distilled water, if you don't buy it pre-mixed) or the warranty police. ;)

It is premium cost compared to the brands at an auto parts store but buying Honda Type II premix coolant at a Honda automobile dealer is cheaper than Honda MC branded premix stuff and it is the same coolant. I pay about $13 a gallon for it at the Honda car dealership.

Dave, is this what you use:

HondaAF-small.jpg

This is blue stuff but somebody else mentioned green, so I'm confused. It says it's for aluminum and non-silicate/borate.

How does one check level of coolant?
Do I need to check at all?
:p

There is most likely no need to top the coolant off.........and over filling the coolant over flow (expansion) bottle could cause coolant to leak or over flow when the bike is warm/hot.

SO...................fill only to the low level line on the coolant over flow bottle when the bike is cool/cold and the theory is the coolant would be close to the high level line on the bottle when the engine is hot

PS....... it's in the owners manual;)

edit........Typing the same time as beemer

Resurrecting a very old thread [emoji28]
33a651b98236bc52df2f448b178fbc95.jpg

I've been using this but most tell me I'm over thinking it, as the post you quoted says, as long as it's silicate and phosphate free it should be good, many have said they used peak for a long time and never had any problems
20186fbe2ddda8512cfc524f6a05b4a2.jpg

Back