• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help removing side cowl

Wombat

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me out... I'm trying to install various electric components and an alarm system (trying to do it all in one go) to a NC700S and I'm trying to remove the luggage storage for easier install/access but according to the service manual, I need to remove the side cowl first. I removed all the bolts/clips to my knowledge but I'm stuck trying to get the cowl off now. I tried wigging it, sliding up/down/left/right with no success. According to the service manual, there are 'clips' at the bottom but there's no mention of how you get it off the clip. does anyone know how you're suppose to remove the cowl. I attached pics of the bolts/clips I removed (I also removed the bolt that's mid-way inside the storage but not shown in the pics) and the section of the manual referring to the cowl. Let me know if I'm missing something please :)

Attachments

• IMG-20130524-00069.jpg
    IMG-20130524-00069.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 905
  • IMG-20130524-00071.jpg
    IMG-20130524-00071.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 886
  • IMG-20130524-00072.jpg
    IMG-20130524-00072.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG-20130524-00075.jpg
    IMG-20130524-00075.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 880
If you have removed all the bolts and trim clips, it's probably just those pesky tabs in slots that are gumming up the works. Those are what I always find a bugger to deal with on mine anyway. (I have the X model, but they also have some rather fussy tabs you have to flex and wiggle out of slots)

That 3-4-5 combo at the top right in the bottom picture looks like you can very gently poke a small flat blade screwdriver in to help disengage the tab out of that slot, at least. Since you can't get at the lower three tabs at the bottom of the cowl, then you're probably just not pulling hard enough.

And, you are sure you are not pulling on the textured black lower part, right? That doesn't come off with the upper side cowl (silver painted part) but stays on until you want to remove that part.

thanks for all your advice everyone =) much appreciated!

I finally got the cowl off. Unfortunately, the S model is slightly different with the screw placements compared to the X so some of the panels that were shown in the video didn't apply. Turns out there was a cone shape tab that was stuck inside the rubber mount that wasn't coming out (towards the bottom right of the cowl) and I ended up having the bend the cowl pretty far away from the bike to get my hand in there to push the tab out.

next step: led for the trunk, cig socket, and usb socket wiring (3 blown fuse later I'm still at it lol)

Back