• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Kill Switch wiring

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of adding a kill switch to my NC.
I'd like to mount it in the frunk high up.

I thought about interrupting the battery black wire (ground).
Is there a better approach?
what guage wire should I use?
what switch?

Click HERE for an article on how to do this.

well the article doesn't help much. It reads "The majority of motorcycles are set up the same way. The ignition wires lead from the motor to the bike ignition. Use the service manual and the included diagram to locate these wires."
Yeah, right! Like I could do that!

Last edited:
Why? You already have one on the handlebar that is less likely to get bumped accidentally. Can't find a rational reason for another switch. Pleas elaborate.
Mike

sorry.... a switch underneath the frunk lock would keep a thief wondering what was wrong. that kind of kill switch.

So your saying when you park it somewhere shady you can flip this switch and nothing will operate until the trunk is opened and the switch is flipped?

Edit. If so just use the same power wire the stock kill switch uses. Find it, interrupt it with another simple easy power/no power switch from the hardware store.

Last edited:
I thought the HISS was designed to prevent this? If a thief is smart enough to get past the HISS, they will probably figure out the kill switch. And they probably will be stealing a more expensive bike.

I thought the HISS was designed to prevent this? If a thief is smart enough to get past the HISS, they will probably figure out the kill switch. And they probably will be stealing a more expensive bike.

U.S. NC700X doesn't have HISS.
I think the more pertinent question would be are bikes in your area stolen by hot wiring or are they stolen by picking them up into a van/truck etc. A hidden kill switch would help prevent hotwiring but not picking the bike up into a van.

My dad had something set up like this on his old VW Baja. A friend of his had some old airplane cockpits in his backyard, and my dad made another console in the VW with switches and gauges from some of the airplanes instruments. He had some of the switches set up so that the vehicle would not start unless these switches were in the correct possition. It was almost like being password protected because there were multiple switches that had to be right for it to work, since they were out in the open. You want to do just one, but hidden. Seems simple enough.

Last edited:
U.S. NC700X doesn't have HISS.
I think the more pertinent question would be are bikes in your area stolen by hot wiring or are they stolen by picking them up into a van/truck etc. A hidden kill switch would help prevent hotwiring but not picking the bike up into a van.

Valid point, if a theif were to take the whole bike then he could have plenty of time to figure out the switch issue later.

Valid point, if a theif were to take the whole bike then he could have plenty of time to figure out the switch issue later.

The pros won't even bother since they'll be stripping it to sell in parts anyway! It would likely thwart the local simpleton yahoo looking for a quick joyride though!

the idea behind this is not to deter the their who want to strip it for parts but would be joy riders.
this has happened to me years ago.
the thieves made off with my little 350 but could not get it start so dump in some one drive about 200 yards way.
they cut all the ignition wires and twisted them together but bike would not start why you may ask?
I put a kill switch on the earth lead on the coil and the switch was underneath you know where.
by doing that it saved my bike and cost. the ignition key switch cost me about £30.
fitted that and the bike was as it was in the garage the night before.

if you are going to do this yourself keep it to yourself where you fit the kill switch.
you never know the thieving buggers might looking in here! so don't give ideas.

I just thought it would be an easy thing to do... cut a wire, solder in a switch, mount the switch.... it all falls under the heading of needless modification, I suppose.

If you really want to do it please pay attention to the following:
-Use at least the same gauge wire or higher for the additional ground wire your are going to place.
-Make sure the switch you place on the circuit will be able to handle a cold start current. (Matching the current rating to the respective fuse "30A" would be a good idea)

Alternately I would suggest you to only place a switch to the ECU power line if it is possible to isolate that wire. This will allow you to actually use cheaper components and will probably be much easier in case the cables are accessible for modification.

And note that anything like this will void your warranty big time!

Last edited:
thankfully we have the hiss fitted.
you guy's could fit the hiss by having one of these in ya frunk;)
F1452.jpg

If you really want to do it please pay attention to the following:
-Use at least the same gauge wire or higher for the additional ground wire your are going to place.
-Make sure the switch you place on the circuit will be able to handle a cold start current. (Matching the current rating to the respective fuse "30A" would be a good idea)

Alternately I would suggest you to only place a switch to the ECU power line if it is possible to isolate that wire. This will allow you to actually use cheaper components and will probably be much easier in case the cables are accessible for modification.

And note that anything like this will void your warranty big time!

Good advice except for the warranty warning. Yes, if the modification damages the bike, that damage will not be covered. But it certainly doesn't void the warranty.

Good advice except for the warranty warning. Yes, if the modification damages the bike, that damage will not be covered. But it certainly doesn't void the warranty.

That can be different in different markets around the world. In the US, you are correct.

Back