• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Original Center Stand Installation: problem and question...

AdventureBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm having my friends at the local bike shop help me install the Honda original center stand I ordered from webike. A guy here was nice enough to send me the directions in English which I promptly printed and took to my friends. In a nutshell, they are having a problem with the springs and spring hook location. They have installed the spring hook into the threaded hole they believe is the right one. They loosened the muffler bolts, etc. as instructions suggested. They are saying the springs supplied are too long according to where the spring hook is located so I guess there is ultimately not enough tension on the springs. I'm wondering if the spring hook is in the right place as I find it hard to believe Honda would send the wrong spring for the stand. One of the guys said he would cut down the spring shorter but it would take an extra half hour of work. What do you suggest?

Why would a hole for a hook need to be threaded? Sounds like they're putting it in the wrong place.

Man I wish mine was longer! That son bitch is tight as a banjo.. Fun fighting it to go on, my stubborn ass tried to use a spring puller to attach it to the center stand even after reading everyone's cheat sheet install instructions

From memory, there's a stud that screws into a threaded hole. If you tried to put the springs directly into the threaded hole it would move them back a little.

@hmcp88: Nortwestrider's wheel trick is the way to go...

You either have the wrong springs or are trying to attach them to the wrong points. I would not cut the springs.

I wonder if the stand is the short stand for the NC700S and maybe the springs are for the long NC700X stand. I'm not even sure the springs are different between the two stand sizes, but if they were, there could be a parts mismatch in the kit that would explain your problem. Either way, if the spring stud was installed in the right place and the spring is still too long, then it's a Honda kit issue.

Greg

Finished installing Honda center stand on the NC this morning. Hardest part is installing the springs. Watched several videos and read up. Works butt off yesterday putting stand on but couldn't get the springs in place. This morning a friend and I did the springs in about 10 minutes.

Need a short piece of strong small rope (I used a piece of Nylon rope about an 8th" or so in diameter), tie a loop in it. I took a ratchet strap, put the short end iaround the swing arm and took the longer adjustable length and hooked it into the loop (making sure springs were in place on the peg end). Tightened up on the ratchet strap until ends of springs were just past the eye, pushed them into place and released tension on the ratchet strap. Pulled the rope off the spring hooks, removed the ratchet strap and job finished. Did both springs at the same time. Good luck. If I had thought of this yesterday I would have saved a lot of time and sore muscles.

Finished installing Honda center stand on the NC this morning. Hardest part is installing the springs. Watched several videos and read up. Works butt off yesterday putting stand on but couldn't get the springs in place. This morning a friend and I did the springs in about 10 minutes.

Need a short piece of strong small rope (I used a piece of Nylon rope about an 8th" or so in diameter), tie a loop in it. I took a ratchet strap, put the short end iaround the swing arm and took the longer adjustable length and hooked it into the loop (making sure springs were in place on the peg end). Tightened up on the ratchet strap until ends of springs were just past the eye, pushed them into place and released tension on the ratchet strap. Pulled the rope off the spring hooks, removed the ratchet strap and job finished. Did both springs at the same time. Good luck. If I had thought of this yesterday I would have saved a lot of time and sore muscles.

Best way is to install the springs first, then the stand shaft, as per Honda alternate directions include with the kit. Very easy install. No ratchet straps, hooks, ropes, etc. needed.

From memory, there's a stud that screws into a threaded hole. If you tried to put the springs directly into the threaded hole it would move them back a little.

@hmcp88: Nortwestrider's wheel trick is the way to go...

that stud had fallen down inside one of the springs in the package.. took me a long time to find it, and I ordered from the same source.
I did the installation by myself while my NC was up on a rear swing arm stand.
- attached stud to stud mount
-put front end of spring on stud
-tied really heavy wire to back end of spring
-tied wire to rear wheel spoke
-rotated the rear wheel by hand to pull the spring into position
-used screw driver to guide the rear spring onto where it hooks.

no rubber mallet, no pounding. I understand the same effect may be had by roling the motorcycle forward to stretch the spring.
In both cases (up on swing arm stand or both tires on the ground) you use the rear wheel to stretch the spring into place.

The "center stand trick" posting is [HERE],
and the youtube video (by "agent" on this forum) is [HERE].
'hope that helps.

Back