• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Under grip warmers.

Nortwestrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking about installing some under grip warmers on my X.I just need alittle extra warmth for our Deadhorse trip next month.My question is,can I put them ON TOP of the stock grips and then put grip covers over them ??.I bought some GRAB ON foam grip covers and thought that maybe there would be more heat with the heaters on the grips under the covers.

PROS/CONS!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont see why not, but I think you may find they get VERY HOT. Usually the heating element has to heat the handle bar to some degree and the grip before the heat is dispersed to the fingies. Without all that I imagine they will be very warm.

I'm thinking about installing some under grip warmers on my X.I just need alittle extra warmth for our Deadhorse trip next month.My question is,can I put them ON TOP of the stock grips and then put grip covers over them ??.I bought some GRAB ON foam grip covers and thought that maybe there would be more heat with the heaters on the grips under the covers.

PROS/CONS!!!

Yes, you can! That is exactly what I did. It works and when/if they break I can remove them and no harm done to the bike at all. Works great on low, very rarely will you need to use HI setting.

For a fact the aftermarket heaters work VERY WELL under the stock grips and last forever and they are easy to install. Like others I think the heat element under a foam cover might get a wee bit too hot.

For a fact the aftermarket heaters work VERY WELL under the stock grips and last forever and they are easy to install. Like others I think the heat element under a foam cover might get a wee bit too hot.

1. How to install?
2. Will the original grip rubber melt?

I am getting ready for winter already.
:p

It's super simple. Peel off the backing of the heating element stick it on the grips, I used some black electrical tape to secure the edges, then slide on the foam grip cover and hook up the electrical. If it gets too hot, there is an OFF setting on the switch to take care of that issue. Plus if they are getting too hot then you don't need them on anyways. I've had mine set up this way for several months with no issues what-so-ever.

It's super simple. Peel off the backing of the heating element stick it on the grips, I used some black electrical tape to secure the edges, then slide on the foam grip cover and hook up the electrical. If it gets too hot, there is an OFF setting on the switch to take care of that issue. Plus if they are getting too hot then you don't need them on anyways. I've had mine set up this way for several months with no issues what-so-ever.

You mean there is a pair of foam provided with the kit to slide over the wiring thing?
How durable are these foam? Will they like rot away with weather and sun?

I'm sure they work like that but doesn't the electrical tape make a sticky mess being repeated heated to 150 degrees? The heating elements wrap pretty much completely around the left bar and right side throttle tube giving heat to fingertips, fingers, and palms. The grips are much larger in diameter than the handlebars under the grips. Does the element installed on top of the grips give even heating all the way around the grips or just partially around? Also, the elements were marked clutch and throttle side to account for the heat sink effect of the bare left bar compared to an insulating throttle tube slipped over the right hand handlebar. Doesn't the left grip get hotter than the right one without the heat sink of the bare bar?

These are the grip warmers I used, they are really for ATV's or snow mobiles. So there is no difference in heat as far as clutch/throttle side. :

Tusk Grip Heater Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
I don't believe they wrapped completely around the grips, but neither do my hands so I wasn't to concerned with that. I checked my hand placement and grip before putting them on so I new where to stick them. There's a YouTube video of some guy doing basically the samething except he didn't add the foam grip covers. Electrical tape is under the foam grip thing so I can't see it, nor am I touching it, so I have no idea how it's faring under the foam grips.

Then I slid these on over them using hairspray as many people have recomended, for lubrication going on and when it dries it's tacky so they stay put. :

Grab On Grips Grip Cover Fits From 1.25" to 1.45" OD 4.25"L MC401 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Yes, Happy I do believe these will degrade over time in the sun and due to use, but at $10-$15 US for a pair they are cheap to replace.

All in all, if you are looking for cheap heat for your grips and don't really care too much about how pretty it looks these work, for about $40-$50bucks. When I bought them that's what I was looking for, cheap heat. It's much cheaper than the honda heated grips but not as fancy looking.

Last edited:
I really only need them for about a week,if they last longer than that it's a bonus.I have been riding year round here in Seattle for over 30 years and have never needed them,BUT the last thing I want is cold hands up on the north slope with 200+ miles of tundra between me and warm hands!!.

I really only need them for about a week,if they last longer than that it's a bonus.I have been riding year round here in Seattle for over 30 years and have never needed them,BUT the last thing I want is cold hands up on the north slope with 200+ miles of tundra between me and warm hands!!.

They will spoil you. I live in FL and get use out of them. I think the best benefit is being able to wear light or medium weight gloves over heat instead of having to wear bulky winter gloves in low temps. Also those days when the temp is cool in the morning but will warm quickly I can start out riding with lightweight gloves and not have to stop to change gloves.

These are the grip warmers I used, they are really for ATV's or snow mobiles. So there is no difference in heat as far as clutch/throttle side. :

Tusk Grip Heater Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
I don't believe they wrapped completely around the grips, but neither do my hands so I wasn't to concerned with that. I checked my hand placement and grip before putting them on so I new where to stick them. There's a YouTube video of some guy doing basically the samething except he didn't add the foam grip covers. Electrical tape is under the foam grip thing so I can't see it, nor am I touching it, so I have no idea how it's faring under the foam grips.

Then I slid these on over them using hairspray as many people have recomended, for lubrication going on and when it dries it's tacky so they stay put. :

Grab On Grips Grip Cover Fits From 1.25" to 1.45" OD 4.25"L MC401 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Yes, Happy I do believe these will degrade over time in the sun and due to use, but at $10-$15 US for a pair they are cheap to replace.

All in all, if you are looking for cheap heat for your grips and don't really care too much about how pretty it looks these work, for about $40-$50bucks. When I bought them that's what I was looking for, cheap heat. It's much cheaper than the honda heated grips but not as fancy looking.
Sounds like they work well for you. I spent about the same, I think $45, for Symtech heaters. They sell under different names like Dual Star and Heat Demon.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/735-symtech-heated-grips.html

I finally got around to installing the under/over grip heaters 6 days before leaving for Alaska!!!!!.
I bought them on Ebay for $5.99 with free shipping.They came with a useless switch so I bought a better one for $7.99.I also bought a inline ATM fuse holder and a pair of Grab on foam grip covers.I tied into the fuse box at a aux switched port.The whole thing cost about $35 and took me about a hour to install.They take about 30 seconds to get really hot,I don't have a heat controler so I will just turn them off and on.
gesa6uza.jpg

3eju6yhu.jpg

uru6upeq.jpg

I got electric gloves, with 3m thinsulate. Keep hands real warm.

For me, electric grips and electric gloves are for two different things. Electric gloves are for sure-nuff cold weather riding. Electric grips are useless for that because the insulation in your gloves works against the heat. Electric grips are for cool weather when you need a bit more than your riding gloves to stay comfortable. I even use them when it isn't cold for a bit of arthritis relief. But it is not either/or.

Back