• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Specification differences between Auto and Manual

Black Knight

Reaction score
Visit site
I was just reading the differences online at: www. hondampe.com.au , between the NC700 Auto and Nc700 Manual.

As everyone probably knows the Auto produces 51 bhp, which is 4 bhp more than the manual, and the gear ratios are also different between the two machines.

If you go the specifications section (page 128) it shows the drive chain links to be 112 for the Auto and 114 links for the Manual.

The standard rear wheel sprocket for the Auto is 39 teeth and 43 teeth for the manual.

There must be quite some difference in performance between these two machines? (Such as 0-60 and top end etc).

Does anyone know what these figures are?

I was just reading the differences online at: www. hondampe.com.au , between the NC700 Auto and Nc700 Manual.

As everyone probably knows the Auto produces 51 bhp, which is 4 bhp more than the manual, and the gear ratios are also different between the two machines.

If you go the specifications section (page 128) it shows the drive chain links to be 112 for the Auto and 114 links for the Manual.

The standard rear wheel sprocket for the Auto is 39 teeth and 43 teeth for the manual.

There must be quite some difference in performance between these two machines? (Such as 0-60 and top end etc).

Does anyone know what these figures are?

There is not much overall gearing difference because the difference in secondary gearing (chain and sprocket) is nearly exactly compensated by an opposite difference in primary gearing (between the crankshaft and transmission). The only gear that is significantly different is first gear where the manual is lower. There will be very little top end difference. The hp difference between the two models changes by market. In the US I believe it is the manual that is 4 hp higher.

Let me put this bluntly, the 2 are probably identical in output coz I don't know why they will be mechanically different.
I don't think anyone (other than dyno'ing the 2 bikes in 2 continents) can prove otherwise. Brochures come from marketing departments, don't they? :p

The gearings are different due to the DCT and manual ratios.

And another thing: DCT is very comfortable for people who prefer Automatic transmission. But most riders I spoke to (online or in real life) would still prefer the manual shifting.

Good luck!
:D

Let me put this bluntly, the 2 are probably identical in output coz I don't know why they will be mechanically different.
I don't think anyone (other than dyno'ing the 2 bikes in 2 continents) can prove otherwise. Brochures come from marketing departments, don't they? :p

The gearings are different due to the DCT and manual ratios.

And another thing: DCT is very comfortable for people who prefer Automatic transmission. But most riders I spoke to (online or in real life) would still prefer the manual shifting.

Good luck!

Has anyone tested these two bikes side by side around a track yet?

I'm sure the results would be interesting?

Has anyone tested these two bikes side by side around a track yet?

I'm sure the results would be interesting?

If you test 2 NC700X manuals on a race track with the same rider, you can still have differences.
I think the differences between a DCT and manual is so small, it is meaningless to test them.

The manual has 51 bhp, 47 for the DCT. There were a few magazines/reviewers that got it backwards. Mistakes like that happen all the time.

More HP, more mpg for the manual? That's surprising. I'm still wondering why the DCT has such a large mpg decrease, ~5%.

The DCT model complies with the EU A2 license requirement of no more than 47 bhp and of course is easier for a new-to-motorcycles novice to ride so I am of the thought that Honda detunes the engine to meet the A2 in the EU but since the rest of the world will buy more manual transmission models so the extra 4 hp means slightly better performance.

In a US magazine test the DCT is about half a second slower to 60 mph and through the 1/4 mile and 3.5 mph slower through the 1/4 mile. The 4 hp difference coupled with an extra 16 lbs of weight takes some toll on performance. I suspect the real difference is less - the tested DCT model had about 40 lbs of Honda accessories bolted on while the 6 speed had no accessories. This would be 56 lbs more than a 6 speed with no options.

If you test 2 NC700X manuals on a race track with the same rider, you can still have differences.
I think the differences between a DCT and manual is so small, it is meaningless to test them.

I would agree to disagree with you, I personally think there would be a significant difference (between manual vs auto). Honda themselves must have the figures somewhere?

Since I've never heard of Honda releasing track data, I wouldn't hold my breath. The only track testing results we normally get in the USA is from the motorcycle magazines and the only Honda track tests I've seen in them is for sport bikes with a lot more power than the NC. Since Honda didn't exactly include track days in the NC's job description, I doubt the media over here will either. I'm only basing this on what we see in the USA. Track test reports may be a lot more routine in other countries.

Bob

The DCT model complies with the EU A2 license requirement of no more than 47 bhp and of course is easier for a new-to-motorcycles novice to ride so I am of the thought that Honda detunes the engine to meet the A2 in the EU but since the rest of the world will buy more manual transmission models so the extra 4 hp means slightly better performance.

Not entirely true. My 2012 DCT has 52 bhp, confirmed by danish dealership. But every 2013 NC model (S,X,XD,D) has 48 bhp due to EU A2 license.
Also every model regardless of year has ABS here in Denmark, in guess the entire EU. The difference between 47/48 and 51/52 bhp is not just fuel mapping again according to the danish dealership.
They where not able to tell me the differences.

Update! Just checked my registration certificate and it says 38 kw = 51-52 bhp
I know that in other markets 47 and 51 bhp has been mentioned. Here in denmark it has always been 48 and 52 bhp.

Last edited:
anti-joke-triceratops-meme-generator-i-am-learning-on-here-how-to-grow-a-thick-skull-against-all-the-criticism-and-defamation-i-am-a-victim-of-of-ce1f8b.jpg

Not entirely true. My 2012 DCT has 52 bhp, confirmed by danish dealership. But every 2013 NC model (S,X,XD,D) has 48 bhp due to EU A2 license.
Also every model regardless of year has ABS here in Denmark, in guess the entire EU. The difference between 47/48 and 51/52 bhp is not just fuel mapping again according to the danish dealership.
They where not able to tell me the differences.

Update! Just checked my registration certificate and it says 38 kw = 51-52 bhp
I know that in other markets 47 and 51 bhp has been mentioned. Here in denmark it has always been 48 and 52 bhp.
Thanks for the information. The A2 restriction is reported as 47 bhp in the popular UK and American press - I myself have not read the fine print of the legislation to see if it is also listed as 38 kw. 38 kw is 50.95 bhp.

I was confused because the Honda web site listed the X (whether DCT or manual) as having 38.1 KW and the S as 35KW. When I registered my new X at Easter I noted the registration document said it had 35KW.

I checked with Honda and they clarified: 2012 models of the X had 38.1kw but 2013 versions only have 35. Kw.

Specifically...
Manual - Motorcycle - Men
Automatic - Scooter - ?

:) :)
So if you think you are a man bring that "Manual - Motorcyle" over to the Dragon and see if you can keep up with this boy's scooter. Got a case of beer that says you can't. :p

Attachments

• 936853_10151680878588140_1506591413_n.jpg
    936853_10151680878588140_1506591413_n.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 256
Fuzzy, it seemed like you were issuing a challenge, but then you put up a picture of a scooter... and not even a real scooter, but one built by a company that can't correctly count to two!!! LOL. ROFLOL.

Back