• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

GPS/Mobile Mount

fallenturtles

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all! First post; sorry if I have this in the wrong forum.

I would like to get some fancy mount I can put on my bike so I can use my cell phone's GPS when I'm heading somewhere new. Do any of you have a good recommendation?

I have the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Thanks!

Brian

I just did a bunch of research on this and it seems that on road the RAM X-grip is really capable, and can hold any phone type. You could also look at Touratech and see if they have anything. Of road having your phone in any kind of mount will shake it to death.

Amazon - RAM X-grip

RAM Mounts - Individual parts are cheaper on Amazon

Touratech-USA - This is the US site, there are others for my non-US friends.

I bought the Ram X-grip, the shortest arm and the mount for the bolts in the center of the handlebars. I just received them so I haven't used them on the motorcycle yet, but the X-grip seems to hold my Iphone in an Otterbox case very well. It's also easy to put the phone in and take it out. I'm sure it will hold my phone securely.

Currently using the RAM system for my iphone 5s....utilizing thier aqua box. Works great. and nicer since i bluetoothed my helmet for compatability.

The easiest is to put in the frunk and just listen to the directions using headset.

Dead right, although I had a Ram universal X Mount from my last bike, so I did mount it on the NCX. It is kind of nice to be able to see the phone and it can be set in either portrait or landscape, but certainly with iPhone's Vuze GPS app you don't need to see the screen. The voice prompts are adequate.

I have the 12v outlet in the Trunk, and the I-phone's power cord only has to extend about 8-10" out of the trunk to plug in to the phone. No need for a handlebar mounted power outlet, really.

image.jpg

RAM mount all the way. They make a mount that goes right on the handler bar bolts. I use one of the left with a RAM X-Mount for my iPhone and one on the right for my Garmin GPS RAM holder. Installed a cigarette lighter socket in my Frunk and have a dual-USB adaptor in it. One cable can charge phone and one GPS, straight out of front of Frunk, no modifications to bike, no permanent power wiring on handlebar.

Thanks everybody! Previously I've just stuck my phone in my pocket and used earphones to get the directions, but I just bought the Icon Airmada helmet and the fit is so tight I actually have trouble keeping the earphone in when I put the helmet on. I was hoping to find a mount so that I could have a good visual reference, especially when cruising around in suburbs where the streets are all named the same.

I found another post on here detailing those RAM mounts and I immediately added them to my cart on Amazon. They look really nice, and I think, especially after reading the comments here, I'll go that route. Next step, I suppose, will be adding the power adapter to my bike so I can continue to use GPS on long drives if I ever need to.

I had the same issue with earbuds, ended up buying the Sena SMH-10. I like the Ram universal X mount as it's compatible with a lot of devices and is easily removed when not needed.

RAM mount all the way. They make a mount that goes right on the handler bar bolts. I use one of the left with a RAM X-Mount for my iPhone and one on the right for my Garmin GPS RAM holder.

Do you know the RAM part number for the handle bar bolt mount?

I would love to see a pic of your dual mount setup !!

I've been buying these for the past few years. The top is spring loaded.. the sides have adjustable/removable brackets that let you adjust to the width of the device your putting in.

It seems one of the more secure cradles for cell phones.

ramholpd3fle.jpg

RAM Mount Universal Top Clamping Hook Cradle

You'll need an arm and either a U clamp mount to go with it or some other option for mounting. There are quite a few options at how you mount it.

The handlebar bolt ball mount someone mentioned earlier you can see here (Pics from Twisted Throttle)

Ram1.jpg

ram2.jpg

Ram3.jpg

Or you could go with a Ubolt mount like this

Ram4.jpg

Here is a link to all of the above... at Twisted Throttle http://www.twistedthrottle.com/brand/ram/

Last edited:
I ended up going with the RAM system. I can't speak to pricing, as I tend to be an Amazon loyalist and I think 2 out of the three items I needed were covered by Prime service. But I absolutely love it. It's secure and the adjustability really keeps the phone out of the way.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Next project: finding a windscreen that works for me. Ugh.

Back