• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Radiator Screen

Idaho Bert

Reaction score
Visit site
Are any of you NC guys using a radiator screen to keep the bugs out of the radiator, a small screen size like window screen size? Did you make the radiator screen or did you buy the radiator screen?

Bert

Not a fan of forum responses suggesting to use the search, but there've been several lengthy discussions of homemade "radiator guards", and the ready made variety.

Stone and rock damage is the issue being addressed, rather than keeping it clear of insects.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...-under-$15-00-a.html?highlight=Radiator+guard

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/garage...-radiator-guard.html?highlight=Radiator+guard

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/425-r-g-radiator-guard.html?highlight=Radiator+guard

I agree that the search line is valuable, but you also have to read the question. Bert, I haven't seen anything written about BUG screens for the radiator. I also haven't seen a product that address bugs. You would probably have to fabricate something for yourself. If you do that, please let us know what you came up with. I am sure there are others that have an issue with bugs (not rocks) getting into the radiator.

Uh, apologies for splitting hairs, but I think I did read the question, as in "Stone and rock damage is the issue being addressed, rather than keeping it clear of insects".

But to address the insect issue specifically I know of no such device available, only radiator guards designed to prevent radiator damage from stones, rocks, etc. Any screen with a fine enough mesh pattern to exclude insects runs the risk of overly restricting needed airflow. Not good.

Down here in Florida we have some lovely little life forms called Love Bugs and running through a swarm of them will result in more airflow restriction to the radiator than screening would. Having said that, I don't use bug screens. I found that it's just as easy for me to clean the radiator as it is to clean the screen.

In answer to the OP, I've never seen a radiator guard with fine enough mesh to protect against bugs, but with a little creative sewing you could possibly fabricate a slip cover out of bug screening and elastic cord that would work.

Bob

My radiator was caked with those stupid love bugs yesterday. But then, just a few miles from the house, I went through a downpour. No more love bugs. I guess that's the solution. ;).

I bought a R&G screen and mounted a painted black smaller stainless steel screen behind it with a rubber edge. i used small black ties to hold it to the RG screen. I have used screen as small as door screen with no effect on wind flow on my dirt bike.

Raining today after a week of nice riding, so here is another cheap, no cost, no holes to drill, idea I am using on the front wheel, just to see if I can stop some of the crud that comes off the front tire out of the radiator. I've been using it about a month and works OK. Still get the bugs that come in over the wheel, but stops most of the tire thrown crud.

Basically it is a piece of plastic about 4 inches by 8 inches. attached to the top brace over the head with two zip ties. One end slips under the lower plastic cowl and the other curves a bit so that at suspension compression it just misses the fender. You hardly notice it.

ArtDSCF0963.jpgDSCF0955.jpg

Raining today after a week of nice riding, so here is another cheap, no cost, no holes to drill, idea I am using on the front wheel, just to see if I can stop some of the crud that comes off the front tire out of the radiator. I've been using it about a month and works OK. Still get the bugs that come in over the wheel, but stops most of the tire thrown crud.

Basically it is a piece of plastic about 4 inches by 8 inches. attached to the top brace over the head with two zip ties. One end slips under the lower plastic cowl and the other curves a bit so that at suspension compression it just misses the fender. You hardly notice it.

ArtView attachment 4330View attachment 4331

Ingenious! A "reverse" Fenda Extenda, lol.

That would have never ocurred to me. :cool:

Thank you, I should have used the search.

Bert

Yes and no.. "Use the search" always strikes me as dismissive. But in this instance a search is fruitful, as there has been a lot of recent discussion about home made radiator guards as the ready made ones seems expensive for their utility. That's why I provided links to some interesting threads. You may elicit some useful info by posting your question in one of those discussions, although their focus to date have been on rock and stone damage, not insect screening. Wouldn't be the first time a thread got slightly off topic.

FWIW, my homemade screen does catch a few insects!

Back